Artists? Matting pictures - tape

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the artist is looking for suggestions on tape to use to secure the print to the matte. They were told that acid-free low-tack tape is available at a store, and that it costs $80 per roll.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Are there any artists / pro photographers here?

I am putting some photos in a show next month. I've cut all the mattes, and printed the pictures. I have yet to put the mattes on the pix.

Normally, when I matte a piece of art, I only need to apply a small amount of tape, like a square inch or two, to hold it in place. Compressing the art between backing and matte/glass/frame is enough to secure the art.

But in this case, I'm not framing them; I am only matting them, and hanging the mattes on my display. (18 x 8x10s, with a 2" matte each would require 78 linear feet of frame! $$$)

In this case, I'm going to need to secure the pic to the matte pretty much all along the edge, otherwise, when on display, the pic will bow and pull away from the matte and look terrible. (and I'm not sure that any potential buyers will be satisfied with my choice of matte colour, so it really should be removable).

So, that's a lot of tape. Any suggestions about the kind of tape can/should I use that is acid-free* and low-tack enough to not wreck the matte when I lay it down by the foot?* not sure whether to with acid-free. These are digital prints from a photo booth, not archival quality art paper...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the "blue tape" sold in hardware stores should do well, but I'm not a matting guy so take that w/ a grain of salt.

Damn, I misread the thread title. There are neither pictures nor tapes of mating artists here. :cry:

DaveC426913 said:
Are there any artists / pro photographers here?

I am putting some photos in a show next month. I've cut all the mattes, and printed the pictures. I have yet to put the mattes on the pix.

Normally, when I matte a piece of art, I only need to apply a small amount of tape, like a square inch or two, to hold it in place. Compressing the art between backing and matte/glass/frame is enough to secure the art.

But in this case, I'm not framing them; I am only matting them, and hanging the mattes on my display. (18 x 8x10s, with a 2" matte each would require 78 linear feet of frame! $$$)

In this case, I'm going to need to secure the pic to the matte pretty much all along the edge, otherwise, when on display, the pic will bow and pull away from the matte and look terrible. (and I'm not sure that any potential buyers will be satisfied with my choice of matte colour, so it really should be removable).

So, that's a lot of tape. Any suggestions about the kind of tape can/should I use that is acid-free* and low-tack enough to not wreck the matte when I lay it down by the foot?* not sure whether to with acid-free. These are digital prints from a photo booth, not archival quality art paper...
Can't the hobby shop show you what you need?

Evo said:
Can't the hobby shop show you what you need?
Yes. I just haven't been able to get there, and I was in a hurry to finish.

Well, I had to go back the store for a 4th sheet of matte anyway, so I got some advice and tape while there.
They have acid-free low-tack tape there - at $80 a roll...

At their suggestion, I bought what is essentially Scotch tape, but it's photo-safe.

Thanks all.

DaveC426913 said:
- at $80 a roll...
I had this insight years back, that if I'd lived during the days of the great gold rushes, the best way to get rich would be to sell mining and prospecting supplies.

Likes Enigman

1. What is the purpose of matting pictures?

The purpose of matting pictures is to create a border or frame around the image, enhancing its appearance and protecting it from potential damage.

2. What materials are used for matting pictures?

Matting pictures can be done with various materials such as acid-free mat boards, acid-free tapes, and hinging tissues. Other materials like archival backing boards and protective glass can also be used to further preserve the image.

3. How do I mat a picture?

To mat a picture, first choose a mat board that complements the image and cut it to the desired size. Next, secure the picture to the mat board using acid-free hinging tissues or tapes. Finally, place the matted picture in a frame for display.

4. What is the purpose of using acid-free tape for matting?

Acid-free tape is used for matting to prevent any damage or discoloration to the picture over time. Regular tapes contain acids that can seep into the picture and cause it to deteriorate.

5. How do I choose the right mat size for my picture?

The general rule for choosing a mat size is to have a border of around 2-3 inches on each side of the picture. However, the final decision depends on personal preference and the size of the picture frame. It is recommended to use a measuring tape to determine the exact dimensions before cutting the mat board.