AS Biology - glycosis homework help

In summary, the conversation discusses the role of enzymes in glycolysis and how their activity can be affected by intrinsic or extrinsic regulation. The person is seeking help to understand this concept and is directed to consult biochemistry textbooks for more information. There is also a mention of whether this topic should be included in AS level courses and its relevance to other fields such as diabetes.
Quadpatt
Hi,
I'm really stuck on this part of my AS biology homework.

With reference to theenzymes catalysing the stages of glycolysis, explain how their activity can beaffected. Consider in your discussion if this is a form of intrinsic regulationor extrinsic regulation.

1) Hexokinase:

2) Phosphofructokinase:

3) Pyruvate kinase:

I understand these enzymes have a role in converting and regulation but I can't seem to find any information that I can understand. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
smile.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Most biochemistry textbooks will have a lot of information on this subject. For example, see https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22395/

OMG this is an AS level question? When I did a biochemistry degree, mynah mynah, most of this wasn't in it - in fact most of it wasn't known!

I am in two minds whether this is just cramming ever more stuff into school courses, or whether on the other hand deserves its place as rationalisation, more rational biology with general principles of feedback. Needing important illustrations or examples, which are also relevant to what anyone's general knowledge of things they will need to know later, e.g. about diabetes, and thus also relevant to people later not pursuing biological science as a speciality.

1. What is glycolysis?

Glycolysis is the first step in cellular respiration, which is the process by which cells convert glucose into usable energy in the form of ATP.

2. Where does glycolysis take place?

Glycolysis takes place in the cytoplasm of cells.

3. What are the products of glycolysis?

The products of glycolysis are 2 ATP, 2 NADH, and 2 pyruvate molecules.

4. What is the role of enzymes in glycolysis?

Enzymes help to speed up the reactions involved in glycolysis, allowing it to occur at a faster rate and produce more ATP.

5. How is glycolysis regulated?

Glycolysis is regulated by the presence of ATP and other molecules in the cell. When ATP levels are high, glycolysis slows down, and when ATP levels are low, glycolysis speeds up.