Vorticity and Curl of Velocity

In summary: This is because the line integral around a circle or loop can be thought of as a sum of tangential vectors around a circle, so when there is a non-zero curl, the sum of all those tangential vectors around a loop will not add up to zero, so they will add up to some non-zero vector that represents a net swirling.In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between vorticity and angular velocity, as well as the concept of curl of velocity. Vorticity is a value assigned to each point on a fluid's surface that is twice the angular velocity of the fluid at that point. The curl of velocity involves mathematical operations and can be used to calculate the vorticity at a point. It is a measure of
ELLE_AW
Homework Statement
What is the difference between vorticity vs angular velocity? I can see the equations, but conceptually I still don't really understand the difference. Also, what is curl of velocity and how does one obtain that?
Relevant Equations
angular velocity = 2 pie rad/s,
vorticity = curl of velocity (nabla x velocity)
This is not homework. I'm studying fluid mechanics/dynamics in the heart/blood vessels and I just want to understand this, so I can have a better appreciation for it's clinical relevance. I'm more of biology/biochem type of person so this has been a bit of challenge. I have basic physics course in undergrad, but it's been a while and we certainly did not discuss curl of velocity and/or vorticity at that time.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
ELLE_AW said:
Homework Statement:: What is the difference between vorticity vs angular velocity? I can see the equations, but conceptually I still don't really understand the difference. Also, what is curl of velocity and how does one obtain that?
Relevant Equations:: angular velocity = 2 pie rad/s,
vorticity = curl of velocity (nabla x velocity)
Well, I’ll give you my interpretation, based on the assumption that you don’t need to know the maths (vector-calculus) and just want the underlying concepts. I expect other contributors will address any inadequacies in my explanation!

Drop a leaf in (moving) water. The leaf moves with the water. A leaf (at instantaneous position P) could be moving along, rotating, or both. Another leaf (at a different instantaneous position Q) could be moving differently.

Each point on the water-surface has a value of ‘vorticity’. P has a vorticity, Q has a (probably different) value of vorticity. The value of vorticity is (for mathematical reasons) twice the angular velocity of the leaf at that point (i.e. twice the angular velocity of the water about the point)

We really need to think in 3D, but the principle is the same. Imagine watching a tiny sphere, with markings so you can see it rotate, carried along in, say, blood. The vorticity at a point in the blood is twice the angular velocity of the blood at that point.

If the flow-pattern has reached a steady-state, vorticity at all points will be constant. Otherwise (e.g. during turbulent flow) the vorticity at a point will not be constant over time.

Notes:

Your statement: “angular velocity = 2 pie rad/s” is (very) incorrect!
It would mean angular velocity is always about 6.28 rad/s, which makes no sense.
Also, ‘pie’ should be ‘pi’ (or even better, π).

If you want a simplified definition:
Angular speed = number of radians rotated per second (= angle/time)
If the period of rotation is T seconds, then angular speed = 2π/T rad/s.

Reference to angular velocity requires additional information about the direction of the axis of rotation, because velocities are vectors.

‘Curl’ is a mathematical operation involving partial derivatives and vectors It let's you calculate the vorticity at a point, providing you have a formula for the velocity-vector as a function of position. You can ask for further details if you are familiar with partial derivatives and vectors expressed in component-form; otherwise I don’t know how to explain it.

Likes Charles Link
I can add something to the above that is hopefully kind of simple : By Stokes' theorem ## \int \nabla \times \vec{v} \cdot dS=\oint \vec{v} \cdot dl ##, so that if the curl is some constant, the velocity vector integrated around a loop or circle will be proportional to that constant, (and also proportional to the circumference of the loop). This says that when the curl is non-zero, you have a swirling going on around any loop about that region.

Last edited:

1. What is vorticity?

Vorticity is a measure of the local rotation of a fluid element in a fluid flow. It is a vector quantity that describes the tendency of a fluid element to rotate about its own axis.

2. How is vorticity related to curl of velocity?

Vorticity is directly related to the curl of velocity. The curl of velocity is a mathematical operation that represents the local rotation of a vector field, and vorticity is a physical quantity that measures this rotation. In other words, vorticity is the magnitude of the curl of velocity.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative vorticity?

Positive vorticity indicates counterclockwise rotation, while negative vorticity indicates clockwise rotation. This is based on the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand point in the direction of the rotation and the thumb points in the direction of the positive vorticity vector.

4. How is vorticity important in fluid dynamics?

Vorticity plays a crucial role in understanding and predicting fluid motion. It is used to study the formation and evolution of vortices, which are important in many natural phenomena such as weather systems, ocean currents, and turbulence. Vorticity also helps in understanding the transport of heat, mass, and momentum in fluid flows.

5. How is vorticity measured?

Vorticity can be measured using various techniques, such as flow visualization, particle image velocimetry, and hot-wire anemometry. These methods involve tracking the motion of fluid particles and calculating the local rotation of the fluid flow. Vorticity can also be calculated using mathematical equations based on the velocity field of the fluid.