Asians - 70% of a future US brain power?

In summary: I didn't have the advantage of a well-off family. I worked my butt off and got into a good university.In summary, most of the Asian-Americans who won the Siemens Competition in Math, Science & Technology in 2011 were children of immigrants from countries with high levels of education and success in science and technology. This suggests that there is a significant selection bias in the population of Asians in the US.
Ivan Seeking said:
Even now, Alabama is changing a stiff immigration law because, guess what, Americans don't want their jobs! The work is far too hard and it takes several seasons to gain proficiency in the fields.

I thought it was because they were making a habit of pulling over Japanese executives who were trying to run automobile factories in the state

Physics news on Phys.org
Office_Shredder said:
I thought it was because they were making a habit of pulling over Japanese executives who were trying to run automobile factories in the state

Sorry, that does appear to be what boiled things to the surface. I haven't been keeping up like I used to.

However, there has been a rising tide of complaints from farmers who are desperate for help, as is indicated wrt to Alabama as well. It seems that in Alabama, they have realized that there are all sorts of unintended consequences.

Some of Alabama’s farm crops — its Sand Mountain tomatoes, for example — have rotted in the fields, as legal and illegal immigrant workers have left the state. Towns and cities report that small businesses targeting Hispanic workers have had to close their doors for a lack of customers.

By far the worst consequence is the damage done to the state’s economic development efforts. Earlier this month, Tuscaloosa authorities arrested a Mercedes-Benz manager from Germany, embarrassing a company that Alabama worked long and hard to lure to Vance.
http://blog.al.com/press-register-commentary/2011/11/repeal_alabamas_immigration_la.html