Asking a question about eddy currents

In summary, the individual is seeking clarification on the duration of eddy currents and if there is a way to calculate the shortest duration time for a single loop of electrons to run. They are implementing a switch in their experiment and are wondering if the duration of the eddy current is solely dependent on the switching time or if there is another factor involved. The response explains how eddy currents are determined by a time constant, tau, which is influenced by the coil and conductor's geometry, conductivity, and permeability. Knowing this, the individual can assess if eddy currents will impact their experiment.
Di Chang
Hi All,

I am new to this forum. Thanks for viewing my question in advance.
I have a confusion about the duration of eddy current. All the formulae I found are to calculate the intensity of the current. I am implementing a switch in my experiment which will turn on/off the magnetic field inside a metal vacuum chamber for a few ms, let's sat, on for 8ms and off for 2ms, and I am wondering in this case, the duration of the eddy current will totally depend on the switching time or there is a way to calculate the shortest duration time the eddy current has to take for a single loop the electrons have to run for.

Thanks a lot!
Di

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't think you understand how eddy currents operate. They are characterized by a time constant tau that is determined by the geometry of coil and conductor and by the latter's conductivity and permeability. Once you know tau you can decide if it's a problem for your experiment.

Related to Asking a question about eddy currents

1. What are eddy currents?

Eddy currents are circular electric currents that are induced in a conductive material when it is exposed to a changing magnetic field. They are also known as Foucault currents.

2. How do eddy currents affect electrical devices?

Eddy currents can cause energy loss and heating in electrical devices, which can decrease their efficiency. They can also produce unwanted magnetic fields that can interfere with the operation of other devices.

3. How are eddy currents used in induction heating?

Eddy currents are used in induction heating to heat up conductive materials. An alternating current is passed through a coil, creating a changing magnetic field. This magnetic field induces eddy currents in the material, which causes it to heat up due to resistance.

4. How can eddy currents be reduced or controlled?

Eddy currents can be reduced by using materials with high electrical resistivity, such as laminated cores in transformers. They can also be controlled by shaping the conductive material in a way that minimizes the path of the eddy currents.

5. What are some real-world applications of eddy currents?

Eddy currents are used in a variety of applications, such as metal detectors, electromagnetic brakes, and magnetic levitation trains. They are also utilized in non-destructive testing techniques to detect defects in metal structures. In addition, they are used in induction cooktops and induction sealing in food packaging.