Eddy current calculation question

In summary, the person is seeking information about eddy current brakes and how to calculate the thickness of an aluminum plate and distance between magnets to determine the brake force and length of the plate. They have searched the internet and found information about magnetic forces, but not the specific case they are interested in. They are also seeking advice on connecting magnets to form a magnetic circuit.
Yani Botsanovski
Hello there!

I have seen some great eddy current brakes and wanted to learn more about it. The problem in the internet I can not the specific case I have in mind.
I searched the internet and found a great deal of material about magnetic forces. I cannot, however, find the specific case I'm interested in.
If I have moving body with magnets which goes through the aluminum plate how to calculate it.
What I need to know is how to calculate the thickness of the aluminum plate and the distance between the magnets in order to find the brake force and the length of the plate.

Sorry for my basic knowledge.

Wish you all the best and thank you in advance!

Attachments

• Question.png
    Question.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 122
Engineering news on Phys.org
You will need to connect the top of the upper magnet to the bottom of the lower magnet to close the magnetic circuit.

Depending on the size and shape of the plate you might do better placing two magnets above and two below to form the magnetic circuit. That way you would not need the core to cross the plate.

Attached is a diagram with iron backing shown in black.
Q2.png

Likes Yani Botsanovski and berkeman

1. How are eddy currents calculated?

Eddy currents can be calculated using the formula: I = V/R, where I is the eddy current, V is the induced voltage, and R is the resistance of the material.

2. What factors affect eddy current calculations?

The factors that affect eddy current calculations include the material's electrical conductivity, thickness, and permeability, as well as the frequency and strength of the magnetic field.

3. Can eddy currents be controlled or minimized?

Yes, eddy currents can be controlled or minimized by using materials with lower electrical conductivity, increasing the thickness of the material, and using laminated or layered materials to reduce the flow of eddy currents.

4. What is the significance of eddy current calculations in non-destructive testing?

Eddy current calculations are significant in non-destructive testing as they can detect surface and near-surface defects in conductive materials without causing any damage. This makes them a valuable tool in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

5. How do eddy currents affect energy efficiency?

Eddy currents can cause energy loss and reduce the efficiency of electrical devices. Therefore, understanding and controlling eddy currents is important in improving the energy efficiency of these devices.