Asking about Nuclear Magnetic Resonance

In summary, this article does not provide a clear link between QED and NMR. Feynman's book, QED: Strange Theory of Light and Matter, does not go into depth about the connection between the two.
docnet
Gold Member
Hi, can anyone provide literature that explains nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy in terms of a quantum mechanical theory?

Could QED explain NMR in its entire phenomenon?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you already found? Why do you find it unsatisfactory?

Vanadium 50 said:
What have you already found? Why do you find it unsatisfactory?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cmr.a.20166

this seems to be the only article that directly relates QED and NMR spectroscopy. Without knowing the author, I don't know if the information is credible or not. It is also a bit hard to read without a strong background in physics.

I don't believe you need to go to QED to explain NMR, Slichter's classic text pretty much covers everything.

Likes Dale and docnet
If you don't have a strong background in physics, it will be hard to find something that links two graduate-level topics.

@Dr Transport is correct that you don't need QED to explain NMR. I have heard of but am unfamiliar with people using NMR to study the Lamb Shift (a QED effect) in atoms and molecules, with NMR being part of the process.

Likes Dale and docnet
I appreciate your responses. I just wanted to ask the question to satisfy my curiosity.

Feynman wrote a book called QED: Strange Theory of Light and Matter, which didn't explain all facets of electromagnetism. For example, the book didn't explain proton-proton repulsion or proton-electron attraction. Can anyone recommend a book about QED that isn't too time demanding?

docnet said:
Could QED explain NMR in its entire phenomenon?

No, because QED only includes the EM field and electrons. It doesn't include anything else.

Likes vanhees71
Dr Transport said:
I don't believe you need to go to QED to explain NMR, Slichter's classic text pretty much covers everything.
I agree. You really do not need QED for NMR. The number of hydrogens you are dealing with is so large that NMR can be understood almost entirely in the classical approximation. The few instances where QM is important can be handled with non-relativistic QM. I cannot think of a single instance where QED is needed (but I am unfamiliar with the Lamb shift measurements mentioned by @Vanadium 50 above).

Likes vanhees71

1. What is Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR)?

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) is a scientific technique used to study the physical and chemical properties of atoms and molecules. It involves the interaction of atomic nuclei with a strong magnetic field and radio frequency waves, resulting in the absorption and emission of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How does NMR work?

NMR works by placing a sample containing atoms with magnetic properties in a strong magnetic field. The sample is then exposed to radio frequency waves, causing the magnetic properties of the atoms to align and absorb energy. As the radio frequency is varied, the atoms release this energy at specific frequencies, which can be detected and analyzed to determine the structure and properties of the sample.

3. What are the applications of NMR?

NMR has a wide range of applications in various fields such as chemistry, biochemistry, medicine, and materials science. It is commonly used to determine the structure and composition of molecules, study chemical reactions, and identify unknown compounds. In medicine, NMR is used for medical imaging, such as MRI scans, to diagnose diseases and monitor treatments.

4. What are the advantages of using NMR?

NMR has several advantages over other analytical techniques. It is non-destructive, meaning the sample is not altered during the analysis, and it can provide detailed information about the structure and dynamics of molecules. NMR is also highly sensitive and can detect small amounts of substances, making it a valuable tool in research and quality control.

5. Are there any limitations to NMR?

While NMR is a powerful technique, it does have some limitations. It requires specialized equipment and expertise, making it relatively expensive compared to other analytical methods. NMR is also limited in its ability to analyze large molecules or complex mixtures, and the interpretation of NMR data can be challenging and time-consuming.