Aspiring Hackers Given False Reality

In summary, the conversation is about the TV show "Mr. Robot" and how it has inspired some people to want to learn how to hack. The participants discuss the ethics and legality of hacking and the amount of effort and knowledge required to become a successful hacker. They also mention social engineering as the most effective form of hacking and the possibility that many of these aspiring hackers will give up once they realize the amount of work involved. Some also make comparisons to other fields, such as physics, where there is a similar idealization and a gap between perception and reality.
NATURE.M
So basically, I'm sure many of you have watched the new tv show Mr. Robot. I'll be the first to say that the show is incredible and quite possibly one of my favourites ever. And if you haven't watched it you should. But that's besides the point.

It seems the show has inspired many non-tech guys to want to hack. They see the show and want to learn how to hack someones Facebook or other social media outlet, etc. They want to create an algorithm to generate ones password, similar to what is done in the show. There are a few people I know that have asked me what language do I need to learn to hack, etc.

What do you guys think about this ? If someone goes into a field because of an idealized image of hacking, what would you tell them ? I'm not a computer security expert by any stretch, so I'm not to familiar with the plausibility of hacking someones personal info, etc.

BTW I'm currently a computer science student specializing in numerical methods/parallel computing.

Physics news on Phys.org
When The Sopranos was big there was a lot of renewed interest in the Italian mafia, but I suspect very few people actually became mobsters because of the show.

Similarly I don't think enrollment in physics has increased dramatically in the years since the Big Bang Theory has been on the air.

So even though I haven't seen the show myself, I suspect that if anything, what is *actually* does is just draw more attention to issues the issues involved with hacking. And maybe this is a good thing in that it makes people think twice about what they post online.

Right after I saw the first episode I thought the show was incendiary in the sense it would greatly elevate interest in hacking. Elliot has enormous power despite being painfully introverted, even by himself, without the rest of fsociety. I can't help but think that's going to appeal to a lot of viewers and seem attainable.

NATURE.M said:
If someone goes into a field because of an idealized image of hacking, what would you tell them ?
Hacking, or otherwise unauthorized entry into a computer system, is illegal. Why would they want to engage in a criminal activity.

NATURE.M said:
So basically, I'm sure many of you have watched the new tv show Mr. Robot. I'll be the first to say that the show is incredible and quite possibly one of my favourites ever. And if you haven't watched it you should. But that's besides the point.

It seems the show has inspired many non-tech guys to want to hack. They see the show and want to learn how to hack someones Facebook or other social media outlet, etc. They want to create an algorithm to generate ones password, similar to what is done in the show. There are a few people I know that have asked me what language do I need to learn to hack, etc.

What do you guys think about this ? If someone goes into a field because of an idealized image of hacking, what would you tell them ? I'm not a computer security expert by any stretch, so I'm not to familiar with the plausibility of hacking someones personal info, etc.

BTW I'm currently a computer science student specializing in numerical methods/parallel computing.

But many times that's the motivation to start studying something, an idealization, so I don't see that as something wrong. You can get into hacking without actually stealing anything, just for the fun of it. Knowing how computers and servers work on the most basic level is sometimes what many hackers are looking for, and of course to be able to do some cool stuff. Tell them they NEED to know C and Assembly for application-based hacking (virus, rootkits, cracks, etc...) and for server-based hacking they need both to know C/Assembly and have a solid knowledge of linux shell, mySQL, php, javascript, sockets, encryption methods, etc...

Pretty sure once people realize the huge amount of work involved, they will drop out (if they had already started), or give up on trying. Most want the glory, the fun, but very few are willing to do what it takes, to put up the necessary effort.

Likes nsaspook
WWGD said:
Pretty sure once people realize the huge amount of work involved, they will drop out (if they had already started), or give up on trying. Most want the glory, the fun, but very few are willing to do what it takes, to put up the necessary effort.

Yeah I agree. I think this happens to be the case in many disciplines, physics being fairly notorious for this.

NATURE.M said:
There are a few people I know that have asked me what language do I need to learn to hack, etc.
The human one. Social engineering is by far the most effective exploit.

Likes NATURE.M and nsaspook
They will try to hack but get no further than being "script kiddies" who are out of their element using anything beyond a mouse no less a command line argument.

They will quit...most of them, anyway.

Reminds me of the man who tells his wife the cliche: " I will climb any mountain, cross any river,... , do anything you want me to do, I just want to please you" . The wife then says: could you please get me a glass of water from the kitchen? The man says: Oh, no, I am too tired for that.

Likes nsaspook
I just find this whole thread to be rather amusing that someone is actually worried about a bunch of people, whose mission among others is to deceive, cheat, etc., are themselves being deceived. What's next? We should worry about ISIS fighters getting paper cuts? Poor babies!

Zz.

Likes nsaspook

1. What is the concept of "Aspiring Hackers Given False Reality"?

"Aspiring Hackers Given False Reality" refers to the phenomenon of individuals who are interested in becoming hackers being misled by false depictions of hacking in media and popular culture.

2. What are some examples of false depictions of hacking?

Some common false depictions of hacking include the ability to hack into any system in a matter of seconds, using flashy graphics and exaggerated typing skills, and portraying hackers as heroes rather than criminals.

3. How does the false reality of hacking affect aspiring hackers?

The false reality of hacking can give aspiring hackers unrealistic expectations and can lead them to pursue hacking for the wrong reasons. It can also make them more susceptible to falling for scams and illegal activities.

4. What are some tips for aspiring hackers to avoid the false reality?

Aspiring hackers should research and educate themselves on the real techniques and ethics of hacking. They should also seek out reputable resources and mentors in the hacking community.

5. How can the false reality of hacking be addressed?

The false reality of hacking can be addressed by promoting accurate depictions of hacking in media and popular culture. Education and awareness about the realities of hacking can also help dispel myths and misconceptions.