Assume Classical Ideas of Space and Time (Ether)

Therefore, the correct formula is √(c^2 + v^2). In summary, the question is about finding the observed speed of a lightwave on Earth using the Pythagorean Theorem and the correct formula is √(c^2 + v^2). The minus sign is not necessary as it is a vector equation.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

My question is part C of problem 1.9:
http://facultyfiles.deanza.edu/gems/lunaeduardo/4DHW.PDF

Homework Equations

Pythagorean Theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have c vector of lightwave going upwards and v going rightwards forming a right angle with the other vector.
Now, I need to find the observed speed of the lightwave on earth.
I would do √(c^2 + v^2), since the particles are being separated by the hypotenuse, but I think it's wrong I have seen some answers online that involve a minus sign for some reason.

Could someone elucidate?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to this question is the Pythagorean Theorem. The formula for the observed speed of the lightwave on Earth is c2 + v2, where c is the speed of light and v is the speed of the observer relative to the source. The minus sign is not needed because it is a vector equation, which means that the magnitude of the vectors is being calculated, not their direction.

1. What is the classical idea of space and time (ether)?

The classical idea of space and time (ether) was a theory proposed in the 17th and 18th centuries that suggested the existence of a medium called "ether" that filled the entire universe and was responsible for the transmission of light and other electromagnetic waves. It was believed to be the framework in which all physical phenomena occurred.

2. Is the classical idea of space and time (ether) still accepted in modern science?

No, the classical idea of space and time (ether) has been largely disproven and is no longer accepted in modern science. The theory was replaced by Albert Einstein's theory of relativity, which explains space and time as a unified concept and does not require the existence of ether.

3. What evidence led to the rejection of the classical idea of space and time (ether)?

One of the key pieces of evidence against the classical idea of space and time (ether) was the Michelson-Morley experiment in 1887, which failed to detect any movement of the Earth through the supposed ether. Additionally, the theory of relativity provided a more comprehensive and accurate explanation of the behavior of light and other physical phenomena.

4. Did any other theories arise from the classical idea of space and time (ether)?

Yes, some theories emerged that attempted to modify the classical idea of space and time (ether) to make it consistent with new scientific discoveries. One example is Lorentz's theory of the stationary ether, which suggested that the ether did not move with the Earth, but still existed as a reference frame for physical phenomena. However, these theories were also eventually disproven.

5. Are there any modern theories that incorporate the concept of ether?

No, there are currently no widely accepted modern theories that incorporate the concept of ether. However, some fringe theories, such as the "ether drift theory," continue to propose the existence of ether as a medium for the transmission of electromagnetic waves. But these theories have not been supported by scientific evidence and are not accepted by the mainstream scientific community.