Assume QM is realistic but non-local: Explain superposition?

In summary: If we assume that reality is both local and deterministic, then we can't have a realistic description of it.Hi,The violation of Bell's inequality says that quantum mechanics can't be both local and realistic. Let's assume it is realistic but non-local. How does this explain the fact that a single particle can be in a superposition that collapses to a particular state when measured? Since we only consider a single particle at a single location I can't see how non-locality could be useful here.To put it differently, I don't quite understand what the violation of Bell's inequality implies (if anything) if we don't look at
greypilgrim
Hi,

The violation of Bell's inequality says that quantum mechanics can't be both local and realistic. Let's assume it is realistic but non-local. How does this explain the fact that a single particle can be in a superposition that collapses to a particular state when measured? Since we only consider a single particle at a single location I can't see how non-locality could be useful here.

To put it differently, I don't quite understand what the violation of Bell's inequality implies (if anything) if we don't look at entangled states.

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Hi,

The violation of Bell's inequality says that quantum mechanics can't be both local and realistic. Let's assume it is realistic but non-local. How does this explain the fact that a single particle can be in a superposition that collapses to a particular state when measured? Since we only consider a single particle at a single location I can't see how non-locality could be useful here.

To put it differently, I don't quite understand what the violation of Bell's inequality implies (if anything) if we don't look at entangled states.
Wouldn't assuming that a particle is always at some specific location - even when it is not being measured - be a presumption of locality?

But what a violation of the Bell inequality would show is that the results of the detection events were determined, in part, by non-local causes - that is causes that were too distant and too close to simultaneous for light to signal the cause condition to the resulting event.

This sounds like faster-than-light communication, but its only a statistical effect. No revealable information is actually communication.

The purpose of the Bell Inequality is not to directly demonstrate wave/particle duality. It is only to demonstrate that something that violates locality such as QM is required.

greypilgrim said:
Hi,

I am not aware of superpositions being mentioned in the only truly realistic interpretation - the DeBB. They are superceded by a guiding wave and the popular opinion on this forum is that superpositions are not real(contrary to some ongoing quantum computing projects), so no problem exists for the BI. It's your call what you want to believe.

Hi !

greypilgrim said:
The violation of Bell's inequality says that quantum mechanics can't be both local and realistic.

Not exactly. It says that it can't be both local and deterministic.
Realism is a rather philosophical concept.

greypilgrim said:
Let's assume it is realistic but non-local. How does this explain the fact that a single particle can be in a superposition that collapses to a particular state when measured?

It depends. If you are talking about a superposition of two different positions in space, in a double slit, for example, non-locality explains that when it is clear that one slit is open and the other closed, the particle fully meterializes in one slit and fully disappears from the other.

If you are talking about two possible states located in the same place, then non-locality is not required, but remains compatible with the collapse.

greypilgrim said:

Basically the same as Newton's laws of gravity when you don't look at falling objects, I suppose.

Maui said:
I am not aware of superpositions being mentioned in the only truly realistic interpretation - the DeBB. They are superceded by a guiding wave and the popular opinion on this forum is that superpositions are not real(contrary to some ongoing quantum computing projects), so no problem exists for the BI. It's your call what you want to believe.

Many-worlds and transactionnal interpretations are also compatible with "true realism".

Pio2001 said:
Many-worlds and transactionnal interpretations are also compatible with "true realism".
You need to give it some more thought - true realism requires causal, macro determinism which is not compatible with the MWI and the TI(MWI is sort of quantum realistic but classical realism and causality are emergent). Of course, the ONLY truly macro and micro realistic(and deterministic) interpretation that exists today is the MWI.
Not exactly. It says that it can't be both local and deterministic.
You've been reading the wrong kind of realism. Realism in physics has a different meaning.

Last edited:
Pio2001 said:

There is that "realism", true, but as Maui says it has a more specific meaning with regards to QM interpretations.

It really goes back to EPR's definition of "elements of reality" for a quantum particle. Realism is then the idea that non-commuting elements of reality exist simultaneously and have well defined values (not in a superposition).

DrChinese said:
Realism is then the idea that non-commuting elements of reality exist simultaneously and have well defined values (not in a superposition).

Yes, and my question is if we stick to realism (and thereby assume non-locality), how can we even write a state like
$$\left|\psi\right\rangle=\alpha\left| 0\right\rangle+\beta\left| 1\right\rangle$$
and use it to calculate expectation values which we can effectively measure in experiments?

Or do realistic theories (like Bohmian mechanics) use different maths? I was under the impression that all interpretations of QM use the same Hilbert-space-based mathematical formalism that allows superposition, but I never really looked into Bohmian mechanics.

greypilgrim said:
Yes, and my question is if we stick to realism (and thereby assume non-locality), how can we even write a state like
$$\left|\psi\right\rangle=\alpha\left| 0\right\rangle+\beta\left| 1\right\rangle$$
and use it to calculate expectation values which we can effectively measure in experiments?

Or do realistic theories (like Bohmian mechanics) use different maths? I was under the impression that all interpretations of QM use the same Hilbert-space-based mathematical formalism that allows superposition, but I never really looked into Bohmian mechanics.

The BMers have a bit of sleight of hand to get around this. They have a "quantum equivalence hypothesis/principle" that guarantees you can use all QM math. So your formula is good as is. :smile:

Ok, but you said in your earlier post that we have no superposition in a realistic theory. This state is obviously a superposition in the ##\left| 0\right\rangle,\left| 1\right\rangle## basis. So why can we do that?

Related to Assume QM is realistic but non-local: Explain superposition?

1. What is quantum mechanics (QM) and how does it relate to realism and non-locality?

Quantum mechanics is a scientific theory that describes the behavior of particles at the microscopic level. It is a branch of physics that attempts to explain the behavior of matter and energy at a subatomic level. The concept of realism in QM refers to the idea that particles have definite properties and exist independently of observation. Non-locality, on the other hand, refers to the entanglement of particles, where the state of one particle can affect the state of another particle, regardless of the distance between them.

2. What is superposition in QM and how does it challenge our understanding of reality?

In QM, superposition refers to the ability of particles to exist in multiple states or positions simultaneously. This means that a particle can be in two or more places at the same time, or have two or more properties at the same time. This challenges our understanding of reality because it goes against our everyday experiences and the classical laws of physics, which state that a particle can only be in one place or have one property at a given time.

3. How does the assumption of QM being non-local affect our understanding of causality?

The assumption of QM being non-local challenges the concept of causality, which is the idea that an event must have a cause. In non-locality, the state of a particle can be affected by the state of another particle without any direct physical interaction, which challenges the traditional notion of cause and effect. This has led to debates and discussions about the nature of reality and the role of observer in QM.

4. Can you provide an example of superposition in the real world?

One example of superposition in the real world is the double-slit experiment, where a single particle is sent through two slits simultaneously and creates an interference pattern, suggesting that it exists in multiple states at the same time. Another example is the Schrödinger's cat thought experiment, where a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing poison, causing the cat to be both alive and dead at the same time.

5. How do scientists reconcile the non-locality of QM with the principles of relativity?

Scientists are still exploring and trying to reconcile the non-locality of QM with the principles of relativity, which state that no information or influence can travel faster than the speed of light. Some theories, such as the pilot-wave theory, propose that particles have definite positions and trajectories, but are guided by an underlying wave function. Other theories, such as the many-worlds interpretation, suggest that all possible outcomes of a quantum event actually occur in different parallel universes. However, there is still ongoing research and debate in this area of study.