Assumptions behind Maxwell's equations for constant speed

In summary, the assumptions needed to derive a constant speed of light from Maxwell equations are that the medium is vacuum and that there is homogeneity, isotropy, and the principle of relativity. This means that the speed of light is the same in all inertial frames. Modern treatments of the relativity principle do not make it specific to light and instead start with the concept of symmetry. This can be seen in the Galilean transform which has an infinite invariant speed or the Lorentz transform which has a finite invariant speed. The variable speed of light theories do not contradict special relativity, but rather suggest a different value for the universal speed limit. However, there is no evidence to support the idea that the universal
giulio_hep
I need some help in defining what are the assumptions needed to derive a constant speed of light from Maxwell equations.
Is it correct to say that this result applies to a sinusoidal wave as an assumption? In my understanding that is (more or less) equivalent to planar waves in vacuum: is it another way to define the context of this derivation?
Sorry, a final doubt: I've read that Maxwell equations say nothing about other frames of observation, so the invariance of speed from this point of view is a postulate of special relativity, not a consequence of Maxwell equations... my question is: have there been any new (more modern) experimental tests related to this postulate in the last couple of years? (found some recent articles in the web about CMB and variable speed of light theories)

Physics news on Phys.org
giulio_hep said:
I need some help in defining what are the assumptions needed to derive a constant speed of light from Maxwell equations.
You just need to assume vacuum.

giulio_hep said:
Is it correct to say that this result applies to a sinusoidal wave as an assumption?
No, sinusoidal waves are convenient, not required.

And what about different deductions of the Lorentz-like transformations without resorting to the light postulate? Are there modern formulations of the relativity principle, in which the maximal speed is not specific to the light and the derivation of the Lorentz transformations depends on the properties of the space-time?

giulio_hep said:
Are there modern formulations of the relativity principle, in which the maximal speed is not specific to the light and the derivation of the Lorentz transformations depends on the properties of the space-time?
Yes. In fact I think that most modern treatments do not make it specific to light. The modern approach is to start with symmetry. If you merely assume homogeneity, Isotropy, and the principle of relativity then you are left with only two possible transformations between inertial frames. One is the Galilean transform in which the invariant speed is infinite, or the Lorentz transform in which the invariant speed is finite. It is then a simple matter of experiment to determine that speed.

Likes vanhees71
Thanks again, could you please point me to a suggested one of these modern treatments (hopefully online)? How (if ever) does this correlate to CMB and variable speed of light theories. So do you believe that such a theory could soon be put to the test?

giulio_hep said:
Thanks again, could you please point me to a suggested one of these modern treatments (hopefully online)? How (if ever) does this correlate to CMB and variable speed of light theories. So do you believe that such a theory could soon be put to the test?
Based on your link, this particular variable speed of light theory does not say that there was at one point NOT a universal speed limit, just that it's value was different. If that is the case, you'd still have special relativity, just with a different number for c. But then, your article doesn't really go into any details.

Battlemage! said:
Based on your link, this particular variable speed of light theory does not say that there was at one point NOT a universal speed limit, just that it's value was different. If that is the case, you'd still have special relativity, just with a different number for c. But then, your article doesn't really go into any details.

The question is:
  • does the special relativity allow the universal speed to vary with time?
I'd say no.

Moreover I was kindly asking for a reference of the modern formulations of the relativity principle... while the article was only a marginal example (btw the article correctly quotes the Journal Reference 10.1103/PhysRevD.94.101301 with all the details, but they're too complex... I've notice also a free archiv version in the web) to say something also about the experimental side

What are the assumptions behind Maxwell's equations for constant speed?

The assumptions behind Maxwell's equations for constant speed are:

• The medium is non-magnetic and non-dispersive
  • The electric and magnetic fields are constant in time
  • The medium is homogeneous and isotropic
  • The electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other
  • The medium is linear, meaning the fields are directly proportional to the applied forces

Why are these assumptions necessary for Maxwell's equations to hold true?

These assumptions are necessary for Maxwell's equations to hold true because they allow for a simpler and more accurate description of electromagnetic phenomena. Without these assumptions, the equations would become more complex and difficult to solve, making it harder to make predictions and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields.

What happens if these assumptions are not met?

If these assumptions are not met, then Maxwell's equations may not accurately describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields in a given medium. This could result in errors or discrepancies in predictions and understanding of electromagnetic phenomena.

Are these assumptions always true?

No, these assumptions are not always true. In reality, most materials have some degree of magnetic and dispersive properties, and fields may not always be constant in time. However, these assumptions are often valid in many practical applications, making Maxwell's equations a useful and reliable tool for scientists and engineers.

How do these assumptions impact our understanding of electromagnetism?

These assumptions play a crucial role in our understanding of electromagnetism by providing a simplified and accurate framework for describing and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic fields. They allow us to make connections between different phenomena and develop new technologies based on our understanding of electromagnetism.