Astro Physics Job Opportunities: What Can I Do?

In summary, if you want to major in Astrophysics, be aware that there are limited job opportunities and most people end up using their skills in other fields such as computer programming or modeling. It may be beneficial to consider graduate school or double majoring to increase job prospects.
Dani Clark
I've been looking and I really can't find too many opportunities for jobs in Astro Physics. I'm starting to apply to colleges and that's what I want to major in, but I'd really like to know what I can do with that degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will not be an astrophysicist with a BS in astrophysics (just like you won't be a historian with a BA in history or a psychologist with a BA in psychology).

Dani Clark said:
I've been looking and I really can't find too many opportunities for jobs in Astro Physics. I'm starting to apply to colleges and that's what I want to major in, but I'd really like to know what I can do with that degree.

The answer is as you have found. There are not too many job opportunities in Astrophysics. In fact, there are precious few. The top performers with PhDs and postdocs get the jobs as actual researchers in Astrophysics, usually at a university. The rest use the skills and knowledge they got from studying astrophysics during their PhD to do something else. Often it seems to be computer programming, numerical algorithms, modeling since this is what students usually do when doing a PhD in astrophysics.

I don't suggest doing a BS in astrophysics and leaving it at that. Consider graduate school or double majoring.

1. What types of job opportunities are available in the field of astro physics?

As a scientist in the field of astro physics, there are a variety of job opportunities available. Some common career paths include research positions at universities or government agencies, working in industry for companies that specialize in space technology, or teaching at a secondary or post-secondary level.

2. Do I need a specific degree to work in astro physics?

Typically, a degree in physics, astronomy, or a related field is required for job opportunities in astro physics. Some positions may also require a higher level of education, such as a master's or doctoral degree.

3. Can I work in astro physics without a background in science?

While having a strong background in science is important for a career in astro physics, there are some job opportunities that may not require a traditional science degree. For example, positions in science writing or science policy may be available for individuals with a background in communications or political science.

4. What skills are necessary for a career in astro physics?

In addition to a strong understanding of physics and astronomy, skills such as critical thinking, problem solving, and data analysis are essential for a career in astro physics. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as many projects in this field involve collaboration with other scientists.

5. Are there any specific industries or companies that offer job opportunities in astro physics?

There are a variety of industries and companies that offer job opportunities in astro physics. Some examples include NASA, space exploration companies, and government agencies such as the National Science Foundation. Universities and research institutions also often have positions available in this field.