Astronaut traveling at constant speed, throws a wrench

In summary: The astronaut throws the wrench with a speed of 18.58 m/s with respect to himself.After he throws the wrench, the astronaut is drifting towards the space station with a speed of 18.25 m/s.
dmitriylm
1)Homework Statement
An astronaut of mass 82.0 kg is taking a space walk to work on the International Space Station. Because of a malfunction with the booster rockets on his spacesuit, he finds himself drifting away from the station with a constant speed of 0.600 m/s. With the booster rockets no longer working, the only way for him to return to the station is to throw the 7.20 kg wrench he is holding.

1)In which direction should he throw the wrench?
-Away from the station
-Towards the station

2)He throws the wrench with speed 18.58 m/s with respect to himself.
After he throws the wrench, how fast is the astronaut drifting toward the space station?

3)What is the speed of the wrench with respect to the space station?
3Your answer is incorrect.

Homework Equations

MV = mv

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the first question is that he should throw it away from the space station.

For the second I tried doing (V)*(82) = (7.2)(18.85), for V= 1.66 m/s but this is incorrect.

For the third, I would think that it would be 18.85-0.600 = 18.25 m/s but this is also incorrect according to the system that I'm entering this answers into.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi dmitriylm, welcome to PF.

"For the second I tried doing (V)*(82) = (7.2)(18.85), for V= 1.66 m/s but this is incorrect".

Your substitution in the above equation is wrong.

Initially both astronaut and wrench are moving with a speed 0.600m/s.

Now apply the law of conservation of momentum.

rl.bhat said:
Hi dmitriylm, welcome to PF.

"For the second I tried doing (V)*(82) = (7.2)(18.85), for V= 1.66 m/s but this is incorrect".

Your substitution in the above equation is wrong.

Initially both astronaut and wrench are moving with a speed 0.600m/s.

Now apply the law of conservation of momentum.

How would I go about making up for the initial speed?

82(V-.6)=7.2(18.85+.6)?

Last edited:

1. How does throwing a wrench affect an astronaut traveling at a constant speed?

Throwing a wrench in space will not affect the astronaut's speed because there is no air resistance to slow them down. However, the wrench will continue to travel at the same speed as the astronaut until it is acted upon by another force.

2. Will the wrench continue to travel in a straight line or will it curve?

The wrench will continue to travel in a straight line unless acted upon by another force. In the absence of air resistance and gravity, there is no force to cause the wrench to curve.

3. What happens to the wrench after the astronaut throws it?

The wrench will continue to travel at the same speed and direction as the astronaut threw it. It will remain in motion until acted upon by another force.

4. How does the absence of air resistance affect the wrench's motion?

In the absence of air resistance, the wrench will not experience any drag force to slow it down. This means it will maintain its initial speed and direction until it is acted upon by another force.

5. Is it possible to change the direction of the wrench while in space?

Yes, it is possible to change the direction of the wrench in space by applying a force to it. This can be done by another astronaut grabbing onto the wrench or using a tool to push or pull the wrench in a different direction.