Astronauts landing on the planet Mars

In summary, astronauts have been planning and preparing for a mission to land on the planet Mars for decades. This feat would require advanced technology and rigorous training to ensure the safety and success of the mission. The ultimate goal is to establish a human presence on Mars and potentially pave the way for future space exploration. While there are still many challenges to overcome, the possibility of humans landing on Mars is becoming increasingly feasible with the advancements in space technology.
akerkarprashant
Summary:: Astronauts landing on Mars

When will the Crewed space mission for Mars exploration event taking place in future?

Do you feel that in case life exists for survival on Mars planet,
the future generations may actually
visit and stay there for many years?

Do you feel there will be a ticket fare in US$, Euros€, Pounds£ etc currencies for traveling to planet Mars and back to planet Earth from the sponsoring spacecraft ?

Training package will be charged.

Attachments

• download (63).jpeg
    download (63).jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.

I mean the future generations of the 22nd century.

Human beings from Planet Earth will migrate to Planet Mars in 22nd century?

akerkarprashant said:
Thanks.

I mean the future generations of the 22nd century.

Please remember that we do not allow speculation at PF, especially in the technical forums. Have you found any reliable sources that look that far out?

Likes akerkarprashant
akerkarprashant said:
It's not even certain there will be human beings in the 22nd century!

Actually living permanently on Mars seems to me to be too far in the future even to estimate.

• Informative
Likes phinds, akerkarprashant and mcastillo356
akerkarprashant said:
Why?

akerkarprashant said:
When will the Crewed space mission for Mars exploration event taking place in future?

Do you feel that in case life exists for survival on Mars planet,
the future generations may actually
visit and stay there for many years?
NASA has looked at missions to Mars since as far back as the 1960s during the Apollo program. There was a design for a NOVA rocket, much bigger than the Saturn V.

I participated in a program during graduate school that looked at scenarios for mission to Mars as part of a NASA sponsored program. My area was nuclear propulsion.

It was clear that we needed to establish a transport infrastructure, which has yet to be accomplished. At the time, the Space Station (ISS) was downsized from original design, while the costs soared. Then we lost one Space Shuttle, Challenger (January 28, 1986), and then lost another, Columbia (February 1, 2003). Gross mismanagement and negligence were involved in the root cause.

There has been some consideration of using ISS and/or moon as a way station for missions to Mars.

I had recommended a station in orbit around Mars, as well as a shielded transport vessel to send a crew to and from Mars.

It would take 10 to 15 years to develop and qualify the technology just to start putting the infrastructure in place. That has yet to happen.

As of now, the future of ISS is uncertain, we have a bare bones infrastructure for getting people to LEO. Let's see if we can get people to the moon and back first. Then maybe, we'll be ready to send folks to Mars and back.

I'm skeptical.

This is more of an Aerospace Engineering topic than Astronomy or Astrophysics.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, phinds, akerkarprashant and 3 others
Astronuc said:
This is more of an Aerospace Engineering topic than Astronomy or Astrophysics
Good point. Thread moved to Aerospace Engineering.

akerkarprashant said:
Do you feel there will be a ticket fare in US$, Euros€, Pounds£ etc currencies for traveling to planet Mars and back to planet Earth from the sponsoring spacecraft ?
New York-London ticket is about $1000 base fare.
NewYork- Mars is about 40,000 times as far, so the cheapest ticket by that criteria expands into a $40 million.
That is flying on a plane with approx 300 passengers sharing the cost of plane, fuel, airport infrastructure,...
Assume space flight is 100 times as expensive as Earth aviation and you are now looking at a fare of $4 Billion.
Add in your 'hotel' fee at Mars where you pay a part for a living infrastructure built ahead of your arrival, and who knows how much that would cost, since quite a few flights would have had to have come and go with workers and supplies. Assume 1$ Billion per person per occupancy - a debatable figure since its not been done yet - and a 10 day stay adds in $10Billion more for your vacation. it;s certainly no going to be cheap.

So sure, tickets to and from Mars would be readily available for anyone who could afford it.
Do you know anyone with that amount of cash lying around?

Likes akerkarprashant and PeroK
256bits said:
And who is willing to go on what for the foreseeable future will likely be a suicide mission.

Likes pinball1970, 256bits and akerkarprashant
256bits said:
Elon Musk.

Putting aside the economic considerations, one should solve the engineering and technical issues, which must be addressed before putting a cost on it.

Before landing someone(s) on Mars, it would be prudent to send a craft to land on Mars, and more importantly, lift off Mars to orbit, and then return to earth. Then we can begin to define a manned mission. And perhaps before that, send a crew to Martian orbit, and then bring them home to earth.

How long would such a mission last? One year or perhaps more likely two years or more. Note, the orbital period of Mars about the sun is 687 days, while Earth's orbit is 365 days.

Mars oppositions happen about every 26 months. Every 15 or 17 years, opposition occurs within a few weeks of Mars' perihelion (the point in its orbit when it is closest to the sun).
https://mars.nasa.gov/all-about-mars/night-sky/opposition/
https://mars.nasa.gov/all-about-mars/night-sky/solar-conjunction/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orbit_of_Mars

Next opposition - Mars will reach opposition – when Earth will pass between Mars and the sun – on December 8, 2022.

Planetary Society - Humans Orbiting Mars, before Humans on Mars.
https://hom.planetary.org/
In 2014, the National Academies released a report which concluded that NASA's current plans for getting humans to Mars could not happen earlier than 2046 without a massive (and unlikely) increase to the human spaceflight program's budget.

In response, The Planetary Society held a workshop in the Spring of 2015 to explore a proof-of-concept plan which could get humans near Mars over a decade sooner. This is known as orbit-first.

Instead of landing on the first go, NASA could lay out a series of missions that use existing programs, strategically build experience and capability, and spread out cost. The orbit-first concept would send astronauts near the Moon throughout the 2020s, to Mars orbit and Phobos in 2033, and finally to the surface of Mars by 2039 to begin an ongoing program of exploration.
https://www.nationalacademies.org/n...eded-in-space-nuclear-propulsion-technologies

https://www.ida.org/-/media/feature...-a-human-mission-to-mars-by-2033/d-10510.ashx

https://www.nap.edu/read/12409/chapter/26

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19710011960/downloads/19710011960.pdf

There needs to be infrastructure 1) around earth, the departure point, 2) transit system to and from Mars, 3) around Mars, the arrival point, and 4) surface of Mars for those landing and remaining for some time or permanently.

ISS could be such a facility, assuming it is still viable for the next 10 to 20 years. There needs to be some orbiting station around Mars (with food, water, oxygen). Related to infrastructure item 2) is a periodic supply system (unmanned). Most likely, supplies for a manned mission would be sent in advance of 2), 3) and 4).

There have been lots of studies on missions to Mars, including putting a manned base on (actually in) Phobos, which is close to Mars (nominal (mean) distance from Mars, 9377 km).
https://mars.nasa.gov/all-about-mars/moons/summary/

• Informative
Likes pinball1970, 256bits and akerkarprashant
I think that the more interesting speculative question is how long until the Mars Colony becomes self-sufficient?

Not putting the first people, first materials on Mars, but putting the last people, last materials needed.

What makes it interesting is the cost. Not the cost of the first men, but the cost of the project up until completion.

And if it never becomes self-sufficient, what's the point?

Likes pinball1970, 256bits and PeroK
anorlunda said:
I think that the more interesting speculative question is how long until the Mars Colony becomes self-sufficient? ...
Excellent question that emphasizes the extreme differences between human exploration and migration on Earth compared to human exploration of the solar system. Understand viscerally what one knows intellectually: unprotected humans cannot live on Mars.

No breathable atmosphere. No food nor potable water. Little protection from electromagnetic radiation.

As a STEM optimist, technology will solve these and other problems but at great cost and only with a cooperative educated realist society. When humans migrated on Earth they found fresh air, edible plants and animals, drinkable water or water ice; conditions much like at 'home'. Polar explorers could breathe, melt ice to drink, even eat the odd roving animal. Space colonists must supply everything a human requires.

anorlunda said:
Not putting the first people, first materials on Mars, but putting the last people, last materials needed.

What makes it interesting is the cost. Not the cost of the first men, but the cost of the project up until completion.

As a technological optimist I answer the last question with an aphorism "Because it is there.".

I reside firmly in the camp that space exploration benefits humanity. Underestimating difficulties of human colonization with facile comparisons to human migration on Earth misses the point.

Likes Oldman too, PeroK and phinds
phinds said:
And who is willing to go on what for the foreseeable future will likely be a suicide mission.
I would.
But only if they pay me.

YOU ARE HIRED! Payable by in-person demand after successful return. :wink:

• Haha
Likes akerkarprashant and berkeman
anorlunda said:
There will always be pioneers - people who prefer carving their lives straight out of the land, rather than by following in the well-trodden footsteps of others.

• Skeptical
Likes akerkarprashant, mfb and PeroK
DaveC426913 said:
There will always be pioneers - people who prefer carving their lives straight out of the land, rather than by following in the well-trodden footsteps of others.
The problem is that these pioneers would need $10 billion each to set them up.

Likes akerkarprashant
The calculation in post 8 makes no sense whatsoever. "Moving into the new house in the same street took me $100,000, so moving to another continent will cost me billions! Oh and I'll multiply the cost by 100 because I'll use a different mode of transportation, so now it's trillions!"
Astronuc said:
There needs to be infrastructure 1) around earth, the departure point, 2) transit system to and from Mars, 3) around Mars, the arrival point, and 4) surface of Mars for those landing and remaining for some time or permanently.

ISS could be such a facility, assuming it is still viable for the next 10 to 20 years. There needs to be some orbiting station around Mars (with food, water, oxygen). Related to infrastructure item 2) is a periodic supply system (unmanned). Most likely, supplies for a manned mission would be sent in advance of 2), 3) and 4).
Why would all these things be necessary? They might turn out to be useful, but direct Earth surface -> Mars surface (with refueling in Earth orbit) and back is possible and conceptually much easier. You need to develop far fewer vehicles.

Likes akerkarprashant
mfb said:
The calculation in post 8 makes no sense whatsoever. "Moving into the new house in the same street took me $100,000, so moving to another continent will cost me billions! Oh and I'll multiply the cost by 100 because I'll use a different mode of transportation, so now it's trillions!"
It's impossible to estimate the cost of building or buying a "house" on Mars. It's not even clear in which century you could move in.

Likes akerkarprashant
mfb said:
Why would all these things be necessary? They might turn out to be useful, but direct Earth surface -> Mars surface (with refueling in Earth orbit) and back is possible and conceptually much easier. You need to develop far fewer vehicles.
Necessary for a round trip.

If it's one way, i.e., permanently to the surface of Mars, then the infrastructure requirement is less.

Part of it depends on how quickly one wants to get to and from Mars, and how much radiation (both from the solar wind and GCR, and the secondary radiations from the structure of the craft) one is willing to accept.

Likes akerkarprashant
It's not necessary for a round trip. Mars surface to Earth surface can be done with a single stage. If you don't produce any fuel on Mars then the payload ratio will be really bad, but an import of hydrogen would improve that massively already (using CO2 from the atmosphere), and all the resources to produce methane and oxygen can be found on Mars.

Likes Klystron and akerkarprashant
mfb said:
all the resources to produce methane and oxygen can be found on Mars.
There's a chemical plant on Mars? Who built that?

Likes akerkarprashant
People on Earth. Do you expect the astronauts to arrive there just with their spacesuits?

Likes akerkarprashant
Oldman too said:
NASA and that SpaceX guy ..
Elon Musk believes we'll have cities on Mars in the near future, so I think you have to take his plans with a pinch of salt.

Likes russ_watters, akerkarprashant and Oldman too
I think the only practical way to populate Mars to any degree is to perfect the landing and use of automated or remotely controlled construction and manufacturing capabilities to build up the necessary life sustaining and fuel producing infrastructure remotely first. Then send a few people. These ideas have been studied for decades and the example I know of is the 1980 NASA summer study Advanced Automation for Space Missions by Freitas and Gilbreath;

https://space.nss.org/wp-content/uploads/1982-Self-Replicating-Lunar-Factory.pdf

I don't know why the title in the pdf is different from the overall document but perhaps because that is the biggest example discussed. Anyway the concepts could be applied to Mars.

Also, I don't think this is something the governments or NASA will ever drive beyond a possible Apollo style one-shot mission to collect rocks and claim glory. Elon Musk just might attempt building a permanent settlement and perhaps various governments and national space programs will be in a supportive role. I think the Starship vehicles being developed by SpaceX have at least the potential to do this in the long run if Musk can build the funding of it into his business enterprises.

Likes akerkarprashant
bob012345 said:
I think the only practical way to populate Mars to any degree is to perfect the landing and use of automated or remotely controlled construction and manufacturing capabilities to build up the necessary life sustaining and fuel producing infrastructure remotely first.
Build WiFi first. If they have WiFi, people will come. :wink:

Seriously, think of our experience with mining, tunnel boring, and deep sea drilling equipment. How long do they last without repairs?
Automated factories need automated repairmen. So as a trial run for automated construction of a city on Mars, try building a city on Earth with automated machines but with no people to help.

Likes russ_watters, akerkarprashant, bob012345 and 3 others
anorlunda said:
Build WiFi first. If they have WiFi, people will come. :wink:

Seriously, think of our experience with mining, tunnel boring, and deep sea drilling equipment. How long do they last without repairs?
Automated factories need automated repairmen. So as a trial run for automated construction of a city on Mars, try building a city on Earth with automated machines but with no people to help.
Of course but machines can be designed for autonomous operations within perhaps a more limited range of operation and certain design principles can be applied to make Terran operations cheaper and easier.

It would be useful to be able to automate building refugee cities or other temporary habitations by robotic construction and assembly.

• Informative
Likes akerkarprashant and Oldman too
bob012345 said:
Of course but machines can be designed for autonomous operations within perhaps a more limited range of operation and certain design principles can be applied to make Terran operations cheaper and easier.

It would be useful to be able to automate building refugee cities or other temporary habitations by robotic construction and assembly.
That would be very useful right now in Eastern Europe.

Likes anorlunda, akerkarprashant and bob012345
Perhaps researching Biosphere 2 would clarify things a little. That was an attempt to create a sealed, self-supporting, environment for Human habitation.

It failed, and now is a tourist attraction. :cry:

https://biosphere2.org/

• Informative
Tom.G said:
It failed, and now is a tourist attraction.
As I recall, that sentence should start off with "It failed BADLY, and ... "

Likes akerkarprashant
Tom.G said:
Perhaps researching Biosphere 2 would clarify things a little. That was an attempt to create a sealed, self-supporting, environment for Human habitation.

It failed, and now is a tourist attraction. :cry:

https://biosphere2.org/
phinds said:
As I recall, that sentence should start off with "It failed BADLY, and ... "
It was a noble experiment and I think a lot was learned but if the suggestion is that it is foolish to go to Mars and stay there I disagree. A Martian settlement does not have to be a perfect 100% sealed and self-supporting environment at first. That can be learned over time. It could as well be learned over time with Biosphere 2 or 3 or 4 if the money was there. It is not impossible, just difficult. After all, the ISS has had a successful life support system for over 20 years now. Certainly it has improved and a Martian system would likely get closer to 100% recycled over time. Biosphere 2 was an attempt to do it with nature instead of with hardware. That is harder on a small scale it seems but not critical to building settlements on Mars.

picture3.png

Last edited:
Likes akerkarprashant and Tom.G
PeroK said:
Elon Musk believes we'll have cities on Mars in the near future, so I think you have to take his plans with a pinch of salt.
If you want to call the end of this century the "near future", I guess. Sounds less ambitious than landing people on the Moon by the end of the 1960s.

Biosphere 2 tried to do everything - tons of different environments with different plants working together, and everything gained from somewhat natural conditions. It's not a good model for a potential Mars habitat. A Biosphere 3 focusing on living conditions for the crew would be interesting.

Likes akerkarprashant
mfb said:
If you want to call the end of this century the "near future", I guess. Sounds less ambitious than landing people on the Moon by the end of the 1960s.
Landing on Mars is a long way short of building a city and living there. For example, the UK is building a new high-speed rail line (HS2). That is schedued to take 20 years. That's the reality of major construction projects on Earth. Building a city on Mars is not ambitious, it's pure fantasy!

Likes akerkarprashant
You think going to the Moon wasn't been called fantasy in 1890? People called the idea of airplanes pure fantasy at that time. Do you want to repeat that mistake? 80 years is a very long timespan for technological progress. So long that our actual achievements usually surpass even optimistic expectations. Some project in the UK being poorly done isn't changing that.

Likes akerkarprashant
Well, there are a number of ways to define what constitutes a "city" - do an online search for "smallest city" in your favourite country. But we could set a quota of, say, 1000 inhabitants as a rough guideline for "smallest (or first) city on Mars." Then we could do the sums to figure out what the necessary basic supplies and hardware to support such a population would be. That's the easy part.

Not so easy is finding the funds, and doing the necessary work, here on Earth to ship the basics to Mars to support the population of Mars City.

From my perspective, it would be most sensible to have a much smaller population to start with - say a group of 20 to 50 individuals, consisting of engineers, geologists, chemists, physicists, biologists, doctors and medics - to stay for an extended period (at least 5 or 10 years?) to see whether living on Mars is actually feasible. Let's say this group is supplied with decent power supplies (solar, nuclear), sufficient air and food and entertainment, comms, machine tools, prefab habitation modules, and construction machinery to dig into create underground living quarters to mitigate the effects of solar and cosmic radiation. Water would come from ice deposits nearby (prior research would identify such sites.)

Having settled in, members of this group would rove around outside (on foot or in vehicles) to do geological surveys or reseach, and possibly also some mineral prospecting. Others might do repairs and maintenance, some astronomy, or medical research, or tend to hydroponic farms. As all this is going on, certain issues would have to be monitored, including effectiveness/stability/usability of living quarters and of protective suits used outside, constant monitoring of radiation doses received while outside the living quarters, what effects the ubiquitous and highly abrasive Martian dust would have on practically everything, and what physiological effects the much lower Martian gravity would have on the people.

Only when the negative issues have been considered and addressed, would it be sensible either (1) to transport more people and equipment to Mars, or (2) abandon the project altogether. It's not going to be an easy ride either way.