Astronomy Question: Maximum latitude

In summary, the maximum altitude of the Moon as seen from Dublin is 41.7 degrees and the maximum altitude as seen from the North pole is 5 degrees. The tilt of the Earth's axis is important in calculating these values, as it affects the angle at which the celestial equator intersects with the zenith at different locations on Earth. Additionally, basic astrophysics often involve the use of equations in mechanics, such as those for motion and energy.
mooneyes
1. Taking the latitude of Dublin as 53.3 degrees North, and the tilt of the Earth's axis and the lunar orbit to be 23.5 and 5 degrees respectively, what is the maximum altitude of the Moon as seen from Dublin? What is the maximum altitude as seen from the North pole?

2. Homework Equations , well that's my main question about the question, as such. Are there a few formula that are generally used in basic astrophysics, like there are the equations of motion and kinetic/potential energy, et cetera for mechanics? Not only for like the question posted above, but also for other areas of astronomy, like birghtness of stars, and such? The textbooks I've looked at have had lovely long english-y paragraphs about the sun and whatnot, but I'm not sure where to find a more physics approach to the topic.

3. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you must draw a representation of the earth,the Earth's equator ,the ecliptic the angles etc. (please look attachment)

If we suppose you are on Earth's equator then the celectial equator( which is a projection of the Earth's equator should pass through zenith.
Therefore the maximum altitude of the moon would be 90 degrees - 5 degrees =85 degrees.
If you are in dublin then
53.3-5=48.3

90-48.3=41.7 degrees ,this is the highest altitude of the moon when you are in dublin.
Finally when you are on the north pole ,the highest altitude of the moon is 5 degrees.

Not sure why should i care about the tilt of the Earth's axis,maybe i am wrong

Attachments

• fig 1.jpg
    fig 1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 433
astrozilla said:
Not sure why should i care about the tilt of the Earth's axis,maybe i am wrong

Well I'm glad you do care! Yes, I see, seems to be more trigonometry work than anything else, thanks.

What is the maximum latitude that can be observed in astronomy?

The maximum latitude that can be observed in astronomy depends on the location of the observer on Earth. For example, at the North Pole, the maximum latitude that can be observed is 90 degrees North, while at the equator it is 0 degrees. Generally, the maximum latitude that can be observed is 90 degrees minus the observer's latitude.

Is there a limit to how far north or south we can observe in astronomy?

Yes, there is a limit to how far north or south we can observe in astronomy. This limit is determined by the Earth's axis of rotation, which is tilted at an angle of approximately 23.5 degrees. This means that at the North Pole, the maximum latitude that can be observed is 90 degrees North, and at the South Pole it is 90 degrees South.

What is the significance of the maximum latitude in astronomy?

The maximum latitude in astronomy is significant because it determines the range of objects that can be observed from a particular location on Earth. Observers at higher latitudes have a wider range of the sky visible to them, while those at lower latitudes have a more limited view. It also affects the angle at which objects are observed, which can impact the accuracy of measurements and observations.

How does the maximum latitude change throughout the year?

The maximum latitude changes throughout the year due to the Earth's axial tilt and its orbit around the sun. As the Earth moves around the sun, the tilt of its axis causes different latitudes to receive more or less sunlight, resulting in changes to the maximum observable latitude. This is why different constellations and stars are visible at different times of the year from a given location on Earth.

Does the maximum latitude vary for different astronomical objects?

Yes, the maximum latitude can vary for different astronomical objects. For example, while the maximum latitude for observing stars may be 90 degrees, the maximum latitude for observing certain planets or comets may be lower due to their position in the sky. Additionally, the size and brightness of an object can also impact its maximum observable latitude.