Astrophysics databases — Where can I find them?

• Thread starter SoulOfSword_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astrophysics
In summary, astrophysics databases can be found through various sources, such as academic institutions, government agencies, and professional organizations. Many of these databases offer access to a wide range of astronomical data, including observations, simulations, and theoretical models. Some popular databases include NASA's Astrophysics Data System (ADS), the European Space Agency's (ESA) Cosmic Databank, and the International Astronomical Union's (IAU) Virtual Observatory. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have their own databases that are specific to their own data and research projects. Access to these databases often requires a subscription or membership, but some may offer free access to the public. It is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and accuracy of the data when using these
SoulOfSword_
Homework Statement
Astrophysics database for essay
Relevant Equations
Astrophysics database
Hi guys, so I was trying to start my extended essay for IB physics in astrophysics and I came up with an idea of looking at how redshift changes based on different cosmological distances. However I can’t find any databases from NASA, esa, etc. is there anything you guys can suggest? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
gneill said:
Perhaps begin with The Sloan Digital Sky Survey at https://www.sdss.org/ .
Thanks for the suggestion! Is there anything in particular regarding redshift tho?

I think that the SDSS results include redshift info amongst others.

It depends what you're looking for. Why don't you try starting with the SkyServer at this link? You can pan around looking at objects, and if you find one you are interested in, you click on the "Quick Look" button, and it will take you to a link like this one, which gives the redshift (z) of this object, which is 0.0948... There are also many catalogs of objects at this site, but you will need to invest time to learn how to use them.

As for your OP, once you know the redshift of the object, do you have a proposal for an independent way to find the distance?

phyzguy said:
It depends what you're looking for. Why don't you try starting with the SkyServer at this link? You can pan around looking at objects, and if you find one you are interested in, you click on the "Quick Look" button, and it will take you to a link like this one, which gives the redshift (z) of this object, which is 0.0948... There are also many catalogs of objects at this site, but you will need to invest time to learn how to use them.

As for your OP, once you know the redshift of the object, do you have a proposal for an independent way to find the distance?
To calculate the distance I was thinking to use the redshift parameter. I haven’t really studied this yet, but I found this redshift table and of values at this website (https://lco.global/spacebook/light/redshift/) and could use algebra to find it. Is there a more systematic way to find it that you know of? For the database, that looks great, I’ll have a look around and try to figure it out!

Related to Astrophysics databases — Where can I find them?

1. What is an astrophysics database?

An astrophysics database is a collection of organized and structured data related to astronomical objects, such as stars, galaxies, and planets. These databases contain information compiled from various sources, including observations, experiments, and theoretical models.

2. Where can I find astrophysics databases?

Astrophysics databases can be found online through various websites and repositories, such as NASA's Astrophysics Data System (ADS), the European Space Agency's Gaia Science Archive, and the International Astronomical Union's SIMBAD database.

3. What type of data is included in astrophysics databases?

Astrophysics databases include a wide range of data, such as observational data from telescopes and satellites, theoretical models and simulations, astronomical catalogs, and publications from scientific journals. They may also include images, spectra, and other multimedia data.

4. How are astrophysics databases used in research?

Astrophysics databases are essential tools for conducting research in the field of astrophysics. They allow scientists to access and analyze large amounts of data, make connections between different sources of information, and test theoretical models against observations. They also facilitate collaboration between researchers and provide a platform for publishing and sharing new discoveries.

5. Are astrophysics databases accessible to the general public?

While some astrophysics databases are publicly accessible, many require a subscription or institutional access. However, some databases offer a limited amount of data and resources for free, and there are also citizen science projects that allow the general public to contribute to astrophysics research.