Astrophysics: Finding flux of a star given magnitude

In summary, the faintest stars that can be seen with the naked eye under ideal conditions have a magnitude of 6. By using the magnitude equation and the ratio of light-collecting ability, it was determined that using binoculars with a diameter of 5cm can increase the magnitude limit to 9.72, a difference of almost four magnitudes. To see a Sun-like star at a given distance, a binocular or a larger telescope would be needed to increase the light-collecting ability.
Xyius

Homework Statement

The faintest stars a naked eye can see under the ideal conditions are of m = 6
magnitude. Diameter of a maximally dilated pupil is d = 9mm. Calculate the
magnitude of the faintest star a person can see if observing through binoculars
(d = 5cm), a large backyard telescope (d = 8 inches), and a professional
telescope (d = 2m). Compare these magnitudes to those found in part (a) -
what kind of instrument would you need to see a Sun-like star at given distances?

Homework Equations

The magnitude equation:
[itex]m-M=5log\left( \frac{d}{10} \right)[/itex]
Where m and M are the apparent and absolute magnitudes of a star respectively. And the number 10 is in parsecs.

The Attempt at a Solution

My thoughts upon how to do this problem is to find the flux of the star that has a magnitude of 6, then see how much flux goes into a diameter of 9mm (pupil). From there I can relate that number to the amount of flux that goes into a backyard a professional telescope. The only problem is, it seems like I am not give enough information to find the flux! I probably have the wrong approach to this problem. Can anyone help? :\

NOTE:
This was part A, which I answered using the magnitude equation.
Given that apparent magnitude of the Sun is m = 26:7 (at 1A:U:), nd its
apparent magnitude at distances of 1pc; 10pc; 100pc and 1000pc.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should consider the variation in brightness due to increased light-collecting ability of the binoculars over the naked eye. What's the ratio? How many magnitudes does this ratio represent?

How can I get the brightness though? Is that the same as the flux? I cannot get a flux ratio because I do not know how far the magnitude 6 star is. :\

Xyius said:
How can I get the brightness though? Is that the same as the flux? I cannot get a flux ratio because I do not know how far the magnitude 6 star is. :\

You should be able to determine the flux ratio from the details of the light-collecting apparatus. How much more light does the binocular provide compared to the naked eye?

gneill said:
You should be able to determine the flux ratio from the details of the light-collecting apparatus. How much more light does the binocular provide compared to the naked eye?

I would imagine that the ratio of their surface areas, would that give the correct answer?

So for the eye: [itex]S_e=\pi r^2= \pi (0.009)^2=2.54\times 10^{-4}m^2[/itex]
And for the binoculars: [itex]S_b=\pi r^2= \pi (0.05)^2=0.15708m^2[/itex]
So..
[itex]\frac{S_b}{S_e}= \frac{0.15708}{2.54\times 10^{-4}}=617.284[/itex]

But how do I relate this to a magnitude 6 star?

Last edited:
Xyius said:
I would imagine that the ratio of their surface areas would give that answer correct?

So for the eye: [itex]S_e=\pi r^2= \pi (0.009)^2=2.54\times 10^{-4}m^2[/itex]
And for the binoculars: [itex]S_b=\pi r^2= \pi (0.05)^2=0.15708m^2[/itex]
So..
[itex]\frac{S_b}{S_e}= \frac{0.15708}{2.54\times 10^{-4}}=617.284[/itex]

But how do I relate this to a magnitude 6 star?

You'll want to check your calculation for the binocular area. Also note that you've used the diameter values for radii -- which actually won't matter when the ratio is taken as the "error" then cancels out. You could save yourself a bit of calculator work by writing the ratio symbolically to start with and cancelling mutual constants before plugging in numbers.

You should have in our notes or text a description that relates observed brightness ratios to magnitude differences. By how many magnitudes does the increased light-collecting ability of the binocular change the magnitudes of observed objects?

The only equation that I have about this subject is simply the magnitude formula. I did something here and I am not sure if it is correct.

I re-did the surface area ratio and got a more reasonable 30.86. I then plugged this in for the flux ratio in the magnitude formula..

[itex]m_1-m_2=2.5log \left(\frac{F_2}{F_1} \right)[/itex]
[itex]m_1-6=2.5log \left(30.86 \right)[/itex]
[itex]m_1=9.72[/itex]

Since 9.72 > 6 it is a fainter star. I do not know how sound this answer is though..

Xyius said:
The only equation that I have about this subject is simply the magnitude formula. I did something here and I am not sure if it is correct.

I re-did the surface area ratio and got a more reasonable 30.86. I then plugged this in for the flux ratio in the magnitude formula..

[itex]m_1-m_2=2.5log \left(\frac{F_2}{F_1} \right)[/itex]
[itex]m_1-6=2.5log \left(30.86 \right)[/itex]
[itex]m_1=9.72[/itex]

Since 9.72 > 6 it is a fainter star. I do not know how sound this answer is though..

Well, it looks quite reasonable to me. The binoculars add nearly four magnitudes to the "depth" of star that one can see.

Same. I am going to do this as I feel this is correct. Thanks for your help! It is very much appreciated :]

1. How is the flux of a star related to its magnitude?

The flux of a star is inversely proportional to its magnitude. This means that as the magnitude of a star increases, the flux decreases and vice versa.

2. What is the formula for calculating the flux of a star given its magnitude?

The formula for calculating the flux of a star is: Flux = 2.512^(m-m0), where m is the apparent magnitude and m0 is the zero-point magnitude. This formula is known as the flux-magnitude relation.

3. What is the significance of finding the flux of a star?

Finding the flux of a star allows us to understand the intrinsic brightness of the star and its distance from Earth. This information is crucial in studying the properties and evolution of stars.

4. Can the flux of a star change over time?

Yes, the flux of a star can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the star's luminosity or distance from Earth, or if the star is part of a binary system. However, these changes are often small and can be accounted for when calculating the flux.

5. How is the flux of a star measured?

The flux of a star is measured using a device called a photometer, which measures the intensity of light from the star. This measurement is then used in conjunction with the flux-magnitude relation to calculate the flux of the star.