Atmospheric Refraction vs Height

In summary, the refraction angle of the Sun at the sunset varies as a function of the observer's height, but a fit to the data points is difficult.
natski
I just wanted to ask a quick question that maybe someone knows off the top fo their head. How does the refraction angle of the Sun at the sunset vary as a function of the observer's height. i.e. if you are standing on a tower looking over the ocean, is the refraction deviation of the Sun at sunset significantly different to that when you are on the beach?

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think that 100 ft (33 m) or 500 ft (152 m) would make much of a difference.

Perhaps the more appropriate question is "How does the refraction angle of the Sun at the sunset vary as a function of the observer's altitude?" The higher one goes, the lower the density of the atmosphere.

Perhaps one can consider two concentric circles, and consider the chord which is tangent to the circumference of the inner circle, which passes through the outer circle to a point at a long distance. Assume the space between the circles is filled with a gas and the density is a function of 'r' from the center, or perhaps more appropriately, R1+h, where R1 is the radius of the inner circle and h is the height from the circumference of the inner circle measured toward the outer circle.

Well, the refraction caused by the elevation of the object sighted is significant enough to factor into celestial navigation calculations, but the height of the eye's effect on that angle is not, at least not for the height of any ship.

For those interested, I have managed to solve this problem by calculating a table of data points from a simulation program I wrote.

I have made the assumption that we are always looking at a sea level horizon where the Sun is setting. I used a program I have been writing for some time on atmospheric refraction to simulate an observer at different heights. I used the US Standard Atmosphere (1976) and Edlen's semi-empirical refracivity equation. I have attached the document as an Excel file so enjoy!

Interestingly, I have found it impossible to get an accurate fit of the data points. For the 700nm wavelnegth refraction angle, I tried using an exponential fit in Mathematica but couldn't really get close. A polynomial fit is a waste of time too. It seems to have the form:

theta=32*{2-Exp[-f(h)]}

If anyone can get a good fit, please do let me know as it would really help me out! I have also attached some of attempted fits.

Attachments

• Attempted Height Fits.JPG
    Attempted Height Fits.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 352
  • Excel sheet.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 189

Related to Atmospheric Refraction vs Height

What is atmospheric refraction?

Atmospheric refraction is the bending of light as it passes through the Earth's atmosphere. This phenomenon is caused by the variation in air density at different heights in the atmosphere.

How does atmospheric refraction affect the height of objects?

Atmospheric refraction can make objects appear higher or lower than they actually are. This is because the light coming from the object is bent as it enters our eyes, causing the object to appear shifted from its true position.

What factors influence atmospheric refraction?

The main factors that influence atmospheric refraction are air temperature, air pressure, and humidity. These factors affect the density of the air, which in turn determines the amount of bending that occurs.

Why is atmospheric refraction important in astronomy?

In astronomy, atmospheric refraction can significantly affect the apparent position of celestial objects, making them appear higher or lower in the sky than their actual position. This is particularly important for accurately determining the positions of stars and planets.

How is atmospheric refraction measured?

Atmospheric refraction is measured using a device called a refractometer, which measures the angle of light as it enters and exits the atmosphere. It can also be calculated using mathematical models that take into account the various factors that influence refraction.