Atomic/molecular level definition/description of density.

• Thread starter TFGordon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, Gordon is studying the properties of depleted uranium to see if it is a good choice for modern munitions. He is looking for more information on why DU has a different density than steel, and why it can catch on fire. He is also wondering about the pyrophoric qualities of uranium.
TFGordon
I am in the process of completing a short presentation on the properties of depleted uranium that make it so suited to it's use in modern munitions. I have stated that DU's high density means that a projectile made from it will have a much smaller cross sectional area than one made of steel, granting said projectile a greater penetrative force.

Now to my problem. I've spent a good hour scouring the net for a description/definition of what causes materials to have different densities on an atomic/molecular scale to no avail. I am aware that DU will have more atoms per given area than steel but I was hoping for significantly more detail?

Thanks in advance, Gordon.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TFGordon, welcome to PF!

Density depends on a number of factors, including bond length, atom size, and crystal structure. In the case of steel vs. uranium, the biggest factor is atom size: an atom of uranium has a lot more protons and neutrons than an atom of iron (the main constituent of steel).

Thanks awfully Mapes, but I was already aware that Uranium has 92 protons and 141-6 neutrons, significantly more than Iron. I may be sounding somewhat dim, I'm all too aware, but I was rather hoping there was more to it than that? Or am I just over-complicating this whole business?

Also, could you possibly shed some light on the pyrophoric qualities of uranium? (Is this a little naughty, asking a different question in the same thread? I'm willing to start a fresh one if the rules require.) Again, I know the basics; that uranium autoignites at around 500 celsius but what causes this? Is the 500 degree heat what is required to remove the initial electrons from a few of the U atoms, creating a cascade effect? Or is a wildly different process occurring?

Related to Atomic/molecular level definition/description of density.

1. What is density at the atomic/molecular level?

Density at the atomic/molecular level refers to the mass of a substance per unit volume at the microscopic level. It is a measure of how tightly packed the atoms or molecules are in a given space.

2. How is density measured at the atomic/molecular level?

Density at the atomic/molecular level can be measured using techniques such as X-ray crystallography, neutron scattering, and density functional theory calculations. These methods allow scientists to determine the positions and interactions of atoms and molecules, which can then be used to calculate the density of a substance.

3. What factors affect the density at the atomic/molecular level?

The density at the atomic/molecular level is affected by several factors, such as the mass and size of the atoms or molecules, the temperature and pressure of the substance, and the presence of any intermolecular forces or bonding between particles.

4. How does the density at the atomic/molecular level relate to the macroscopic density of a substance?

The density at the atomic/molecular level is directly related to the macroscopic density of a substance. This means that as the density of atoms and molecules increases, the overall density of the substance also increases. However, the relationship between the two may not be linear, as other factors may also play a role in the macroscopic density of a substance.

5. Why is understanding density at the atomic/molecular level important?

Understanding density at the atomic/molecular level is crucial in many fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and materials science. It allows scientists to predict and explain the properties and behavior of substances, as well as design new materials with specific densities for various applications.