Atomic velocities from forces and MgO simulation

In summary, the conversation discusses the attached graph of the pair potential between Mg and O, which shows a peak attractive force of 1.6 eV or 10^-19 Joules. The calculations suggest that the acceleration experienced by the atom is about 9650000 m/s^2 or 9.65 nm/fs, but there may be discrepancies in the units used. Additionally, the conversation mentions an animated gif displaying atomic vibrations in a 20x20 lattice and the possibility of using a smaller timestep for the model. There is also discussion about the accuracy of the coulomb potential and force constant used in the model.
Hypatio
I've attached a graph of the pair potential between Mg and O. The peak attractive force experienced between the atoms is 1.6 eV, or 10^-19 Joules. From F=ma, with an O mass of 2.66*10^-26 kg the acceleration experienced by the atom is about 9650000 m/s^2, or 9.65 nm/fs (nanometers per femtosecond).

Is this right?

I know that molecular dynamics simulations of MgO are able to be performed with timesteps on the order of 0.5 fs, but from my calculations the atom may displace by on the order of 5 nm for this time, more than 10 unit cells for MgO. This either means that I have overestimated the acceleration by 1-2 orders of magnitude, or that atomic displacements from vibrations and such occur over less than 0.1 nm.

Also, I am testing an MgO simulation. I've attached an animation of atomic vibrations which occur in a 20x20 lattice due to the momentum of a contraction from an initial "equilibrium" position (black dots)--the displacement occurs because of long range coulombic forces bending the lattice from an ideal spacing. Each frame is a timestep of 0.1 fs, and I've had to use 0.01 fs as the model timestep. Absolute and relative atomic velocities are on the order of 100-900 km/s, which seems high to me.

I feel like I am doing something wrong.

[edit] Sorry, apparently my animated gif is too big (800kb) or are not allowed.

[edit 2] The pair potential, including coulombic potential, is: 926.69*EXP(-r/0.3)+k*(1*-1)/r

where k=10*(2.31*10^-19)/(1.602*10^-19)=14.417888
or k=299792458^2*10^-7*(1.60217646*10^-19)*10^10=14.417888

and r is in Angstroms.

Attachments

• potentials.jpg
    potentials.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 442
  • MgO.jpg
    MgO.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe my coulomb potential is much too large? Is my force constant correct?

k=10*(2.31*10^-19)/(1.602*10^-19)=14.417888
or k=299792458^2*10^-7*(1.60217646*10^-19)*10^10=14.417888

correct?

The dimensions should be Joules and Angstroms...

I think you messed up several units.

The peak attractive force experienced between the atoms is 1.6 eV, or 10^-19 Joules.
eV and Joule are units of energy, not force. Looking at the graph, is it [itex]\frac{eV}{\mathring{A}}[/itex]?

the acceleration experienced by the atom is about 9650000 m/s^2, or 9.65 nm/fs (nanometers per femtosecond).
nm/fs is a velocity, not an acceleration. Expressed in nm/fs^2, the corresponding value is extremely small (10^-14).

Thanks, I did mess up the units and I think I now have a working model.

Related to Atomic velocities from forces and MgO simulation

1. What is the relationship between atomic velocities and forces in a simulation?

The atomic velocities in a simulation are directly influenced by the forces acting on the atoms. As the forces change, the velocities of the atoms will also change.

2. How are atomic velocities calculated in a MgO simulation?

In a MgO simulation, atomic velocities are calculated using molecular dynamics simulations. This involves solving the equations of motion for each atom in the system based on the forces acting on them.

3. What factors can affect the atomic velocities in a simulation?

Some factors that can affect atomic velocities in a simulation include temperature, pressure, and the strength of interatomic forces.

4. How can changes in atomic velocities be used to study the behavior of materials?

By analyzing changes in atomic velocities, researchers can gain insight into the properties and behavior of materials at the atomic level. This can help in the development of new materials or in understanding the behavior of existing materials under different conditions.

5. Are atomic velocities the only factor that determines the behavior of materials in a simulation?

No, atomic velocities are just one of many factors that can affect the behavior of materials in a simulation. Other factors such as atomic positions, interatomic forces, and environmental conditions also play important roles.