Atwood machine with variable mass

In summary: A few problems there.What is the mass on the left at time t?Write the equation in the form ΣF=ma; that helps in getting the signs right.I got a huge formula like:I also get a log function, but I don't think you should have had quadratic terms. Please post your working next...
titansarus

Homework Statement

We have an Atwood machine like the picture below. one side (left) is a bucket full of water which has a hole on the bottom and the water is flowing with rate ##dm/dt = \alpha = const##. The initial mass of bucket with the water is ##m_0##. On the other side (right) we have a box with constant mass ##m_1##. We also know the speed of water relative to the system at every time is a constant number ##v_0## (It is given in the question). we want to find the speed of each box (which is equal in opposite directions) at every time ##t##. In fact we want to find ##v(t)## (##v## as a function of ##t##).
Note: Pulley and rope and etc... are all frictionless - massless and completely ideal. And the pulley is fixed to somewhere (maybe wall or roof, so it doesn't move)

variable mass.png

The Attempt at a Solution

After solving the equations of momentum for an arbitrary system of initial mass ##M##, I get the formula
##M dv/dt = F_{ext} + v_{rel}~~ dm/dt##.

in this question ##v_{rel}## and ##dm/dt## are both known constants. But I don't know what to do with ##F_{ext}##. Is it for the whole system? Is it just for the bucket? What is ##M## in the question: ##m_0## or ##m_0 + m_1##? What should I do to get a integrable equation?

Attachments

• variable mass.png
    variable mass.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 2,756
Physics news on Phys.org
The least confusing approach is to assign a variable T=T(t) to the tension and consider the two suspended masses separately.

Likes titansarus and Dewgale
haruspex said:
The least confusing approach is to assign a variable T=T(t) to the tension and consider the two suspended masses separately.
Now how to work with this T? I wrote ##m_1 g - T = m_1 a## and ##T - m(t) g = m(t) a## . Now maybe by dividing both sides, we get something like ##m_1 g - T / (T - m(t) g) = m_1 / m(t)## , we get an equation for T(t) in terms of ##m_1## and ##m(t)##. It is ##T(t) = 2 m_1 m(t) g / (m_1 + m(t)) ## Also ##m(t) = m_0 + \alpha t## (##\alpha## is negative).

Now I think I must write something like ##m_0 dv/dt = (T - m(t) g) + v_0 \alpha~~~## ? Is it OK? from this I get ## m_0 dv = (T - (m_0 + \alpha t) g)~dt + v_0 \alpha ~ dt##
I used wolfram alpha to evaluate this and I get:
##
\left(-\frac{2 g m_1^2 \log (\alpha t+m_0+m_1)}{\alpha}-\frac{1}{2} \alpha g t^2+\alpha v_0 t-m_0 g t+2 g m_1
t\right)
= m_0 V(t)## by assuming that ##v## of the system was at ##t=0## was zero. And we get ##V(t)## from here. Is it Right? Does it really get that complicated?

titansarus said:
Now I think I must write something like ##m_0 dv/dt = (T - m(t) g) + v_0 \alpha~~~## ?
No, you should have used that earlier:
titansarus said:
Now how to work with this T? I wrote ##m_1 g - T = m_1 a## and ##T - m(t) g = m(t) a## .
v0 features in the force balance on m0.
When you have that right, your first step should be to eliminate T.

Likes titansarus
haruspex said:

I think you mean something like: ##m_0 dv / dt + (m_0 + \alpha t) g - v_0 \alpha = T##, right? Now should I substitute this in ##T - m(t) g = m(t) a## or maybe ##m_1 g - T = m_1 a##? Or should I write something like ##m_1 g - m(t) g = (m_1 + m(t)) a##? Or maybe both?

haruspex said:

I evaluated what I said in post #5 (above post) and substituted T in the equation that has m(t) and multiplied them by ##dt## and I got a huge formula like: ##
\frac{2 \alpha^2 t {v_0}-4 g {m_1}^2 \log (\alpha t+{m_0}+{m_1})-g (\alpha
t+{m_0}+{m_1})^2+6 g {m_1} (\alpha t+{m_0}+{m_1})}{2 \alpha} = m_0 v(t)
##or actually this according to wolfram alpha:
integral.png

If I substituted that in the equation with m1, it might get a little smaller but it will still be a big equation.

Attachments

• integral.png
    integral.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 547
titansarus said:
I think you mean something like: ##m_0 dv / dt + (m_0 + \alpha t) g - v_0 \alpha = T##, right?
A few problems there.
What is the mass on the left at time t?
Write the equation in the form ΣF=ma; that helps in getting the signs right.

titansarus said:
I got a huge formula like:
I also get a log function, but I don't think you should have had quadratic terms. Please post your working next time.

1. What is an Atwood machine with variable mass?

An Atwood machine with variable mass is a simple mechanical device used to study the effects of changing mass on the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. It consists of two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley, with one mass being able to move vertically. The mass of one of the objects can be changed, allowing for the study of how this affects the motion of the system.

2. How does an Atwood machine with variable mass work?

The Atwood machine with variable mass works by demonstrating the principles of Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the two masses connected by the string experience different forces due to their different masses, causing the system to accelerate as the heavier mass moves downwards.

3. What factors affect the motion of an Atwood machine with variable mass?

The motion of an Atwood machine with variable mass can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the two objects, the length and tension of the string, and the presence of friction. Changing any of these factors can alter the acceleration and velocity of the system, allowing for a better understanding of the relationship between these variables.

4. How is an Atwood machine with variable mass used in experiments?

An Atwood machine with variable mass is commonly used in physics experiments to study the effects of changing mass on the acceleration and velocity of objects. By varying the mass of one of the objects and measuring its motion, scientists can gather data to support or refute theories and laws related to motion and gravity.

5. What are some real-life applications of an Atwood machine with variable mass?

An Atwood machine with variable mass has practical applications in fields such as engineering and transportation. For example, it can be used to study the motion of elevators or cable cars, which use a similar system of ropes and pulleys to move objects vertically. It can also be used to test the efficiency of various pulley systems, which are commonly used in construction and manufacturing.