AudioQuest Diamond: most expensive HDMI cables worth it?

In summary: This article says it all. A group of audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between Monster speaker cable and a coat hanger.In summary, this cable is a scam.
I was browsing amazon for some basic HDMI cables and was flabbergasted when I came across some by AudioQuest Diamond. They cost $1,494.75 for 6.5FT.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CT2A2M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The information gives
  • Solid Perfect-Surface Silver (PSS) Conductors
  • Low Jitter, Low Distortion Audio
  • Signal Conductors Controlled for Digital Audio Direction
  • Bi-Directional Ethernet Communication and Audio Return Channel Enabled
  • Dielectric-Bias System (DBS US Pat # 7,126,055) Significantly Improves Audio Performance
Is this a total scam or is there some value for the biggest audiophiles out there?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Is this a total scam or is there some value for the biggest audiophiles out there?
It is a scam. The cable may well be a high quality cable, but since we are talking digital signals, the "Low jitter, low distortion" is meaningless. After all, we are running full duplex gigabit communication over Cat 6 cables, and they are not especially expensive.

Perhaps it's not a deliberate scam. Aren't some prices on Amazon set by computer algorithms?

You can make an argument that shielding digital communications cables in an audio environment is valuable, as it reduces interference in your speakers and the analog portion of your signal chain. This cable doesn't make that argument. It's a scam.

This is monster cables X 10... complete BS...

Windadct said:
This is monster cables X 10... complete BS...
Does monster cable also engage in shady claims? I used to have an 30ft s-video monster cable and got it fairly cheap on ebay. Worked just fine :)

IM (NSH) O Absolutely! - it is not that they are bad - they just are too expensive for the claims they make. - I like http://www.mycablemart.com - In the digital realm - HDMI = HDMI - if the cable is bad you will notice it.. dropped frames, freezes - etc. The long term mechanical reliability of the connector is much more important then anything I have seen monster advertize. As for interferance with speakers - I would challenge anyone to notice a <5V digital signal wrapped around their speaker to notice the difference.

NSH = not so humble - sorry I have a strong opinion on this - it gives people in technical marketing and sales a really bad name...used car anyone?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Does monster cable also engage in shady claims? I used to have an 30ft s-video monster cable and got it fairly cheap on ebay. Worked just fine :)
Yes, but if you got them especially cheap, you beat the scam, since the entirety of the scam is aimed at convincing you to spend more than they are worth.

Windadct said:
The long term mechanical reliability of the connector is much more important then anything I have seen monster advertize.
I'll agree with that. The socket, plug, and the boot between the plug and cable are very common failure points. But only in cables that are manipulated often (charging cables, for example). So while it is true, it isn't even all that critical for an HDMI cable, which spends years in the same position.

1. Is the AudioQuest Diamond really the most expensive HDMI cable on the market?

Yes, the AudioQuest Diamond is currently the most expensive HDMI cable available, with a price tag of around $1,000 USD.

2. What makes the AudioQuest Diamond worth its high price?

The AudioQuest Diamond is made with high-quality materials and advanced design techniques, resulting in superior performance and durability. It also has a lifetime warranty, providing added value.

3. How does the AudioQuest Diamond compare to other HDMI cables in terms of performance?

The AudioQuest Diamond is considered to be one of the best HDMI cables on the market in terms of performance. It has a high bandwidth and low distortion, resulting in improved audio and video quality.

4. Can the AudioQuest Diamond improve the sound and picture quality of my home entertainment system?

While the AudioQuest Diamond may not necessarily improve the quality of your current system, it can help to maintain the integrity of the signal and prevent any potential loss of quality that may occur with a lower quality HDMI cable.

5. Is the AudioQuest Diamond worth the investment for the average consumer?

This ultimately depends on the individual's needs and budget. For most consumers, a more affordable HDMI cable will provide satisfactory performance. However, for those who are passionate about high-quality audio and video, the AudioQuest Diamond may be worth the investment.

Back