Australia Vaccine Rollout Woes

In summary: Not sure why he thinks it is strange. My understanding is that companies making vaccines were found stacking vaccines and selling them to higher bidders. In a way that's understandable, they do it for profit, but lying about their production capabilities to hide the real situation is far from being OK (especially when at least some of these capabilities were increased with EU grants/money). I am sure every country/region would do exactly the same in such case to defend its interests.The article mentions that there are vaccine producers in different countries that are making a lot of money off of this pandemic. Not sure why he thinks it is strange.
If anybody is interested in the woes of the vaccine rollout here in Aus see the following:
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04...ccine-supply-gaps-void-to-be-filled/100043348

Personally, I would feel a lot better if a logistics expert was in charge of it. We have at least one in our Parlement - Ex-General Jim Molan, who was chief of operations of Iraq's allied forces.

My GP is booked until August. I will see him soon for the Flu jab and discuss the best course of action.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
prof. Cunningham is quoted as saying

But I am surprised by the European response [in restricting overseas imports], it's very strange,

Not sure why he thinks it is strange. My understanding is that companies making vaccines were found stacking vaccines and selling them to higher bidders. In a way that's understandable, they do it for profit, but lying about their production capabilities to hide the real situation is far from being OK (especially when at least some of these capabilities were increased with EU grants/money). I am sure every country/region would do exactly the same in such case to defend its interests.

My first jab is scheduled for April 21st.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes bhobba
Borek said:
My understanding is that companies making vaccines were found stacking vaccines and selling them to higher bidders. In a way that's understandable, they do it for profit, but lying about their production capabilities to hide the real situation is far from being OK (especially when at least some of these capabilities were increased with EU grants/money).
There's an analysis here of the main vaccine producers and the profits they stand to make:

https://corporatewatch.org/vaccine-...ge-profits-being-made-from-covid-19-vaccines/

Officially, AstraZeneca is providing the vaccine at cost price "for the duration of the pandemic".

• Informative
Likes bhobba and pinball1970
Borek said:
Not sure why he thinks it is strange.

Yes, he, at a minimum, expressed it badly. I took it to mean governments are normally very loath to break contracts. They occasionally do it due to policy change, and it has a name - sovereign risk. Whenever someone gives a government quote, it is normally a bit higher because of sovereign risk. If a country does it a lot, then the sovereign risk component will rise accordingly. Should they do it? I can't answer that - the government is the one in charge, and it needs to take into account a lot of factors, many political and associated with the public mood. But it has consequences when negotiating future contracts they will need to account for.

Here is the detail of what is going on in Aus:
https://www.smh.com.au/national/how...have-and-where-is-it-all-20210401-p57fw6.html

To me, that points the finger directly at botched logistics in the rollout, particularly by the states. I am in Queensland; we received 106,000 doses as of March 29 and administered just 59,000. My GP practice has a sign on their website - you can read it here:
https://www.redlandsclinic.com.au/

I read of a practice with 20,000 patients getting 100 doses PW. You can do the math.

Our state premier was asked why. She said we had to keep enough for the second dose. But the commonwealth government is already doing that. I think you can understand why people here in Aus are, to put it mildly, MAD.

Thanks
Bill

While I understand why the people are Australia are mad about the vaccine rollout, at least the country is in a position where there have been no new cases of COVID-19.

Here in Canada where I live, we are currently experiencing a major surge of new infections (a third wave, so to speak), driven by SARS-COV2 virus variants of concern (mostly the UK variant or B117, although the variants traced back to Brazil and South Africa have also been identified). Currently in the province of Ontario along have had 3065 new cases as of today. And while we are currently in the process of expanding the rollout, much of that has been focused on people age 60 and over (or 50 and over depending on certain locations).

I'm currently 45 and it may I'm not certain when I will be able to get my vaccine (my best guess would be some time toward end of May or early June given the current pace of the rollout).

Likes bhobba and russ_watters
StatGuy2000 said:
While I understand why Australia is mad about the vaccine rollout, at least the country is in a position where there have been no new cases of COVID-19.

That is exactly what the doctors in both state and federal health departments keep saying. It is true, of course - here, it is not a priority. We go into lockdown even for 1 case of community transmission - especially if it is the UK variant. We have had a couple of SA variant cases in the quarantine, but none of the myriad of new variants from South America. While very effective in controlling the virus, it plays havoc with our economy, especially the tourist industry, where people get stranded in places during a lockdown.

The UK variant is gradually becoming the dominant strain. It already is in the UK and will likely be in the US and Canada.

Thanks
Bill

Likes StatGuy2000

What is the current status of the Australia vaccine rollout?

The Australia vaccine rollout has been experiencing delays and setbacks since it began in February 2021. As of May 2021, only about 3% of the population has been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

What are the reasons behind the Australia vaccine rollout woes?

There are several factors contributing to the Australia vaccine rollout woes, including supply chain issues, limited vaccine doses, and the slow pace of vaccine approvals by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

How is the government addressing the issues with the Australia vaccine rollout?

The government has recently announced a new timeline for the vaccine rollout, with a goal of vaccinating all eligible Australians by the end of 2021. They are also working to secure additional vaccine doses and improve the distribution process.

What impact are the Australia vaccine rollout woes having on the population?

The slow pace of the vaccine rollout is causing frustration and concern among the Australian population, especially as the country experiences new outbreaks and lockdowns. It is also having an economic impact, as the slow rollout is delaying the country's reopening to international travel.

What can individuals do to help with the Australia vaccine rollout?

Individuals can help with the Australia vaccine rollout by getting vaccinated when they are eligible, following health guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and supporting the government's efforts to secure and distribute more vaccine doses.