Australian Open Women's Final: 60 Grand Slams, 4 Legends

• News
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tennis
In summary, Serena won the Australian Open Women's Final against Venus, with Roger coming in 3rd. The match was described as "the greatest weekend in the history of tennis," and although the younger players may not be up to snuff, the all-time greats still dominated.
russ_watters
Mentor
My interest in tennis has waned somewhat over the years, but I did DVR the Australian Open Women's Final and I'm watching it now (no spoilers, but I already know who won). In introducing the match, one of the commentators said this may be "the greatest weekend in the history of tennis" and I agree:

Serena, Venus, Rafa and Roger. A sibling rivalry, three (sorry Venus) all-time tennis greats, and one who has to be in the top ten greatest modern athletes of any sport/gender. They have 60 Grand Slam [singles] wins among them. Still; none of them is under 30. Are they that great (probably) or is the younger crop just not up to snuff (probably too)?

Anyone else watching?

[Also, 10 points for anyone who can identify the reference in the title.]

Likes mheslep
Physics news on Phys.org
I must pass on the title question, but I think Serena's success can be explained by her strength, which is close to male tennis and therefore superior to the tennis of her female competitors. I think that also her weight might play a role, as it enables her to hit faster balls. Physics, if you ask me. Or angular momentum to be more precise.

I'm not sure whether Rafael (on hard court) belongs into your list. I think Novak is the better tennis player on this ground. But that's only a personal opinion.

Sounds like something Eddie Murphy might say.

fresh_42 said:
I must pass on the title question, but I think Serena's success can be explained by her strength, which is close to male tennis and therefore superior to the tennis of her female competitors. I think that also her weight might play a role, as it enables her to hit faster balls. Physics, if you ask me.

That wouldn't be the judgement of her peers, or of knowledgeable commentators, coaches, or fans. These days there are plenty of players in the women's game who hit as hard or harder than Serena, many of whom are also taller & thus enjoy greater leverage in their swings; but none have enjoyed her consistent success. You'll want to look elsewhere than strength or mass for the reasons.

Aside from that, the "she's built like a man" argument has frequently been hauled out not just against Serena but other women tennis players and against women in other sports. You presumably didn't intend to be offensive, but many will see it that way, given that it is also inaccurate.

Last edited:
Likes HossamCFD
russ_watters said:
Anyone else watching?

Because I am a devout Fed fan, I could not watch much of the Fed-Nadal final . . . out of fear the usual would happen. So I missed most of THE MOST UNBELIEVABLE TENNIS MATCH EVER. Apparently all the air molecules in the arena at Melbourne went to one side of the arena ALL AT THE SAME TIME leaving A COMPLETE VACUUM ON THE OTHER SIDE.

Or something like that.

Holy s____t!

I've just watched the highlights and I think I've seen the impossible. How do you beat someone that a) hardly makes an unforced error; b) hits a winner if given the chance and c) always plays their best when break point down?

Even though I knew the result I, I spent the entire match convinced Rafa couldn't lose. He looked like the proverbial immovable object.

I suppose it has taken Federer 10 years to beat Nadal in a Grand Slam. I watched it, but I still don't know how he did it.

What is the Australian Open Women's Final?

The Australian Open Women's Final is the championship match of the Australian Open tennis tournament, one of the four Grand Slam events of the tennis calendar. It determines the winner of the women's singles competition and is considered one of the most prestigious and highly anticipated matches in tennis.

How many Grand Slams are included in the Australian Open Women's Final?

There are a total of 60 Grand Slams included in the Australian Open Women's Final. This includes singles, doubles, and mixed doubles competitions for both men and women.

Who are the 4 legends involved in the Australian Open Women's Final?

The 4 legends involved in the Australian Open Women's Final are the four most successful female players in the tournament's history: Margaret Court, Serena Williams, Steffi Graf, and Martina Navratilova. These players have a combined total of 60 Grand Slam titles and are considered some of the greatest players in tennis history.

What makes the Australian Open Women's Final so special?

The Australian Open Women's Final is special for a variety of reasons. It is the first Grand Slam of the year, making it highly anticipated by players and fans alike. It also has a rich history, dating back to 1922, and has seen many iconic moments and matches. Additionally, the Australian Open is known for its unique atmosphere and traditions, making the Women's Final a truly special event.

Who has won the most Australian Open Women's Finals?

The player with the most Australian Open Women's Final wins is Margaret Court, with 11 titles. Serena Williams follows closely behind with 8 wins, while Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova have each won the title 4 times. These players have dominated the Australian Open Women's Final and have left a lasting impact on the tournament's history.

Back