Auto correlation function for water molecules in a box

In summary: Your name] In summary, the speaker has simulated 1500 water molecules using molecular dynamics in an NpT ensemble and observed a time auto-correlation function (C(t)) that is parallel to the x-axis and equal to zero. They attribute this to the random movement of the water molecules and are open to other explanations. They recommend further analysis and comparison with experimental data to better understand the results.
vjramana
I have simulated a box water molecules (1500 water molecules) using molecular dynamics method in NpT ensemble.

I got the time auto-correlation function (C(t) vs t, time) where its function line is parallel to x-axis. Which means the C(t) is zero.

I understand the water molecules are freely move around. Meaning they move randomly. There is no specific order or patters where the water molecules hold during its movement and get it lost after some time. And this is the reason the C(t) is zero.

I appreciate if anyone has better explanation for this result hope you can share so that I could expand my understanding.

Many thanks in advance.
Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your findings and observations from your simulation. The time auto-correlation function, or C(t), is a measure of the correlation between the positions of molecules at different points in time. In your case, the fact that the function line is parallel to the x-axis and C(t) is zero suggests that there is no correlation between the positions of the water molecules at different time points.

As you mentioned, this could be due to the random movement of the water molecules, which is expected in a molecular dynamics simulation. However, there could also be other factors at play that contribute to this result. For example, the size and shape of the simulation box, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the interactions between the water molecules could all affect the movement and behavior of the molecules.

To get a better understanding of your results, I would suggest further analyzing the trajectory of the water molecules and considering the various factors that could influence their movement. Additionally, you could compare your results to experimental data or other simulations to see if they align with previous findings.

I hope this helps expand your understanding and I look forward to hearing more about your research. Best of luck with your simulations!

1. What is an auto correlation function for water molecules in a box?

An auto correlation function for water molecules in a box is a mathematical tool used to measure the correlation between the positions of water molecules within a confined space. It can provide insights into the dynamics and behavior of water molecules in a given system.

2. How is an auto correlation function calculated?

An auto correlation function is calculated by taking the average of the product of the positions of water molecules at a given time and a later time. This process is repeated for different time intervals and the results are plotted to show the correlation between the positions of water molecules over time.

3. What factors can affect the results of an auto correlation function for water molecules in a box?

The results of an auto correlation function can be affected by various factors such as the size and shape of the box, the density of water molecules, and the temperature of the system. Other external factors such as pressure and the presence of other molecules can also impact the results.

4. What information can be gained from an auto correlation function for water molecules in a box?

An auto correlation function can provide information about the diffusion and movement of water molecules in a confined space. It can also reveal any patterns or correlations in the behavior of water molecules over time.

5. How is an auto correlation function for water molecules in a box useful in scientific research?

An auto correlation function can be a useful tool in studying the behavior of water molecules in various systems, such as in biological processes or chemical reactions. It can also aid in the development of models and simulations for understanding complex systems involving water molecules.