Visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field

In summary, the individual is seeking a visualization of water molecules in a time-varying electric/magnetic field as part of their PhD work. They have searched for such a simulation but have found nothing. Such a visualization would be useful for observing natural media and has potential applications in Earth observation satellites. The individual is seeking guidance on how to create this simulation, as it is not their area of expertise. They have also provided a related article from AIP Scitation for reference.
albert
I am interested in showing a visualization of water molecules in a time-varying electric/magnetic field as part of my PhD work.

I would like something like this visualization:
, but with an external time-varying field applied.

At first, I thought of simply animating water molecules reorientating (or NOT reorientating in the case of ice) when they are subjected to a time-varying electric field. But I am not 100% sure what it would look like since I don't recall ever seeing such a scientifically-accurate visualization, so I searched for such a molecular dynamics simulation, but found nothing.

Such a visualization would be of great interest since there are many applications using radar to observe natural media (forests, oceans, ice, soil etc.). Electromagnetic waves emitted by radars reflect mainly off the water molecules in natural materials. The molecular dynamics of the water molecules subjected to the incident field create the scattered field, which is measured by the radar. Several existing and upcoming Earth observation satellites are based on this principle.

So why has a molecular dynamics simulation (with visualization) of water molecules in a time-varying electric field (0.5-10 GHz) not been done?
Am I searching in the wrong place or is there some limitation (e.g. simulation time needed, models used) that makes such a simulation unfeasible?
If it is possible to do this, I would be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction (e.g. suitable software, background topics to read etc.) since this is not my field of expertise (I’m an electrical engineer).

Physics news on Phys.org
Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field?

The purpose of visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field is to better understand the behavior and movement of water molecules when exposed to an external electromagnetic force. This can provide insights into various phenomena such as the effects of electromagnetic radiation on water, or the role of water in chemical reactions involving electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the visualization of water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field achieved?

The visualization of water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field is achieved through computer simulations using molecular dynamics software. This involves representing the water molecules as particles and simulating their movement and interactions under the influence of an electromagnetic field.

3. What are the potential applications of visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field?

The potential applications of visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field include understanding the effects of electromagnetic radiation on living organisms, developing new water-based technologies that utilize electromagnetic fields, and improving our understanding of the role of water in various chemical and biological processes.

4. What are some challenges in visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field?

Some challenges in visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field include accurately representing the complex interactions between water molecules and electromagnetic fields, simulating large systems with a high number of water molecules, and accounting for the effects of temperature and pressure on the behavior of water molecules.

5. How can visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field contribute to scientific research?

Visualizing water molecular dynamics in an electromagnetic field can contribute to scientific research by providing a better understanding of the behavior of water molecules in various environments and under different conditions. This can lead to advancements in fields such as biophysics, chemistry, and environmental science, and can also help in the development of new technologies and treatments that involve water and electromagnetic fields.