AutoCAD Lisp Problem: Transfer Titles from Excel to DWG

• Thread starter OffTheRecord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Autocad
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Lisp for creating a program to transfer title block information from Excel files to AutoCAD dwg files. The first question asks if this task can be accomplished with minimal knowledge of Lisp, while the second question asks if Lisp can read AutoCAD files without opening the GUI. The third question considers the possibility of using Python or another language for this task. The conversation also mentions the potential need for a CAD API, which may be available for free or for a one-time use.
OffTheRecord
Hey folks. Question. Mostly about input/output in Lisp.

At work, we have thousands of old AutoCAD files that were never named properly, and thus can't be searched properly by AutoCAD Vault. The title information (drawing headers, authors, dates, etc) of all these files are currently stored in an excel file, rather than in their respective dwg files. I want to figure out some way to have a program (presumably written in Lisp, since that's the language CAD uses) take input from an excel spreadsheet (or CSV file), open up CAD dwg files, and transfer each title block into its respective CAD file.

First question: is this easy enough that I could accomplish it with minimal working knowledge of lisp?

Second question: can a lisp routine read an AutoCAD file without actually opening up the GUI? If so, how?

Third question: can the same task be accomplished using Python, or some other language?

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't have a ready answer, but I would start by searching for some kind of CAD API...it may have to be commercial, since CAD is not open source, but who knows, maybe there is something you can download for free for one time use.

1. How can I transfer titles from Excel to DWG using AutoCAD Lisp?

To transfer titles from Excel to DWG using AutoCAD Lisp, you can use the "OLE Automation" feature in AutoCAD. This allows you to create a link between an Excel spreadsheet and your AutoCAD drawing, allowing you to transfer titles and other data seamlessly.

2. What is AutoCAD Lisp?

AutoCAD Lisp, also known as AutoLisp, is a programming language used in AutoCAD to create custom commands and automate tasks. It is based on the LISP programming language and can be used to enhance the functionality of AutoCAD.

3. Do I need to have programming experience to use AutoCAD Lisp?

No, it is not necessary to have programming experience to use AutoCAD Lisp. However, a basic understanding of programming concepts and the AutoCAD software is recommended.

4. Can I transfer titles from Excel to DWG manually without using AutoCAD Lisp?

Yes, you can transfer titles from Excel to DWG manually by copying and pasting the data. However, using AutoCAD Lisp can save you time and effort, especially when dealing with large amounts of data.

5. Is there a tutorial or guide available for using AutoCAD Lisp?

Yes, there are many tutorials and guides available online for using AutoCAD Lisp. You can also refer to the AutoCAD documentation or attend training courses to learn more about the programming language.

Back