Automated mouse pressing device

In summary, the individual is looking for a way to automatically press their computer's mouse button every 15 minutes without being present. They mention the idea of using a drinking bird or a timer device, but are also open to other suggestions. They mention using a macro recorder or possibly creating a hardware device using a basic stamp and transistor relay to achieve their goal. They also inquire about the possibility of a third party detecting their use of a macro in a webpage.
exoticdisease
I'm doing something that requires pressing my computer's mouse button once every 15 minutes so I'm trying to find something that will automatically do it for me whether I'm there or not. If anyone has seen that Simpsons episode where Homer uses the drinking bird to press the "Y" button on his keyboard to speed up his work, that's kinda what I want, except for a mouse button.

Basically, I'm going to attach the mouse to my desk so it won't move when pressed and then I want something to press it every 15 minutes or more (as long as it's as often as 15 minutes, it doesn't matter how much more often it is). Any ideas/suggestions would be welcome. For example, does anyone have a drinking bird that they could test it out on a mouse for me?

Thank you very much for your help

Rob

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Exoticdisease.
Wouldn't it be easier to plug a timing device into the mouse port of your computer? I don't know much about this stuff, but that's the first thought that comes to me.

Yuck!
Those things are for Windows-burners. I thought that Rob had a computer.

I must admit that I am using Windows *shame shame*

Also, I must have something mechanical not software based...though I did have a look at the macro recorder and it's quite good tbh! Might use it for other things, but this must be hardware.

You mentioned a timer danger...could you give me some more details or a link for me to read up about it? It sounds quite reasonable...

Thanks

exoticdisease said:
You mentioned a timer danger...could you give me some more details or a link for me to read up about it? It sounds quite reasonable...

I'm afraid that I can't. I really don't know much about anything, particularly electronics. It just seems to me that almost anything can be plugged into a USB port. Someone like Chroot can probably hook you up with a design or a commercial timing product.

Danger said:
I'm afraid that I can't. I really don't know much about anything, particularly electronics. It just seems to me that almost anything can be plugged into a USB port. Someone like Chroot can probably hook you up with a design or a commercial timing product.

You don't have to make a USB device. Just short the button leads of an existing mouse.

fleem said:
You don't have to make a USB device. Just short the button leads of an existing mouse.
Ahhhh... Obvious in retrospect, but it never crossed my mind. Good catch.

fleem said:

This is what I was thinking. Just solder to wires to the terminals on the PCB where the mouse button connects and run them to a transistor/relay on a basic stamp that shorts them every 15 minutes or whenever you want.

That sounds very promising...sadly, I don't really have a clue what you're talking about, fleem and Topher925! If you could provide me with some instruction I would be most grateful. To start, what would I have to do to my mouse, what's PCB and where do I get a transistor relay to set on the basic stamp?

Thanks very much :D

Oh and also...is there any way a third party could detect me using a macro ? I'm familiar with macros in Word and Excel, but I've never run one like this...if I run it on a webpage, would it be possible for the page owner to detect me doing it ?

Thanks again!

What is an automated mouse pressing device?

An automated mouse pressing device is a device that is designed to automatically press a computer mouse button at set intervals or in response to certain triggers. It is commonly used in research settings to conduct experiments or gather data.

How does an automated mouse pressing device work?

An automated mouse pressing device works by using a motor or mechanism to physically press down on the mouse button. It is controlled by a computer program that sets the timing and triggers for when the device should press the button.

What are the benefits of using an automated mouse pressing device?

One of the main benefits of using an automated mouse pressing device is that it eliminates the need for manual pressing, which can save time and reduce human error. It also allows for precise and consistent timing, making it useful for experiments or data collection.

Can an automated mouse pressing device be used for different types of mice?

It depends on the specific device, but many automated mouse pressing devices are designed to work with a variety of mouse types and sizes. However, it is always important to check the compatibility of the device before use.

Are there any potential limitations or drawbacks to using an automated mouse pressing device?

Some potential limitations or drawbacks to using an automated mouse pressing device include the initial cost of purchasing the device, as well as the need for technical knowledge to set up and operate it. Additionally, the device may not be suitable for all types of experiments or tasks.