Automorphisms groups and spaces

• Thread starter TrickyDicky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Groups
In summary, the conversation discusses examples of spaces that coincide with their own automorphism groups, known as complete groups. The examples listed include ##\mathrm{Aut}(S_n)=S_n## for all ##n## except ##2,6##, and the specific case of ##\mathrm{Aut}(S_3)=S_3##. The topic of isometry groups and Lie groups is also briefly mentioned.
TrickyDicky
Is there any example of an automorphisms group of a space that coincides with the space, i.e. a space that is its own automorphisms group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, there are many such examples. if I'm not mistaken ##\mathrm{Aut}(S_n)=S_n## for all ##n## except ##2,6##. But you can check it by hand that ##\mathrm{Aut}(S_3)=S_3##. The groups with this property are called complete groups.

Last edited:
N1k1tA said:
Yes, there are many such examples. if I'm not mistaken [tex]\mathrm{Aut}(S_n)=S_n[/tex] for all [tex]n[/tex] except [tex]2,6[/tex]. But you can check it by hand that [tex]\mathrm{Aut}(S_3)=S_3[/tex]. The groups with this property are called complete groups.
Thanks, I was under the impression that the isometry group of ##S^3## was ##SO(4)##.

TrickyDicky said:
Thanks, I was under the impression that the isometry group of ##S^3## was ##SO(4)##.

##S^3## is the ##3##-sphere (the ##3##-dimensional sphere embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^4##), while ##S_3## is the group of permutations on ##3## letters. Totally different things.

Does your problem concern Lie groups or any arbitrary groups?

N1k1tA said:
##S^3## is the ##3##-sphere (the ##3##-dimensional sphere embedded in ##\mathbb{R}^4##), while ##S_3## is the group of permutations on ##3## letters. Totally different things.

Does your problem concern Lie groups or any arbitrary groups?
Oh, sorry, I should have made clear I referred to continuous spaces and groups.

Related to Automorphisms groups and spaces

1. What is an automorphism group?

An automorphism group is a mathematical concept that describes a group of transformations that preserve the structure of a mathematical object. In other words, it is a set of transformations that do not change the essential properties of the object.

2. What are some examples of automorphism groups?

Some examples of automorphism groups include the group of symmetries of a geometric shape, the group of all rotations in three-dimensional space, and the group of all bijections on a set.

3. What is an automorphism space?

An automorphism space is a mathematical space that contains all possible automorphisms of a given object. It is often used to study the symmetries and properties of the object.

4. How are automorphism groups and spaces related?

An automorphism group is a specific type of automorphism space that contains all possible transformations that preserve the structure of an object. In other words, it is a subset of the automorphism space.

5. What are some practical applications of automorphism groups and spaces?

Automorphism groups and spaces have applications in various fields including geometry, topology, group theory, and cryptography. They are also used in computer science to study the symmetries and transformations of data structures and algorithms.