Multiplication in projective space

In summary, it seems that the coordinatewise multiplication is well defined, but that it is not a group operation. It is nice to know this, because it is regarded as a useless operation.
Structure seeker
TL;DR Summary
Suppose I have a projective space with sone dimension over a field. Can I multiply entrywise if the point 0 is added to the projective space?
Let #F# be a field and consider the projective space of dimension #n# over it with added the point #0#. It seems to me that there is a valid definition of multiplication by just entrywise multiplicating the elements. Of course both can be multiplied by #x \in F# but that goes for the product as well!

My question is whether the multiplication is well defined, and whether it is usual to consider this space a 'group' under that multiplication.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's well defined, but this does not define a group. Any element with an entry of 0 is not invertible.

Likes Structure seeker
fresh_42 said:
What for?
Just a pet project. I'm interested in the coordinatewise multiplication simply because it's the easiest one to analyze. It's nice to get this information, because as you say it's regarded as a useless operation (and not a group operation) which is why I couldn't find my answer with google.

Structure seeker said:
Just a pet project. I'm interested in the coordinatewise multiplication simply because it's the easiest one to analyze. It's nice to get this information, because as you say it's regarded as a useless operation (and not a group operation) which is why I couldn't find my answer with google.
Maybe you can find a geometric meaning. Geometry is where projective originally came from. My first thought was the formula ##e^{i \varphi }\cdot e^{i \psi }=e^{i(\varphi +\psi)}## in one dimension, aka the projective plane. But that led to the isomorphisms I linked to: multiplication in orthogonal groups.

Why projective space?

Any projective space with an amount of entries divisible by 3 is OK, but indeed projective planes are of first interest. As to the geometric meaning, it kinda looks like it adds the two tangents of twice the angle with identity (the all one element) and applying the inverse tangent of the result to get half the angle of the newfound product.

Happy to say my pet project succeeded! In the end I used the nonzero field elements and an added zero point in the projective plane. I also define a strange 'addition' over which this multiplication is distributive. It's been fun :cool:

I'm not gonna give the results here. The 'addition' is noncommutative and nonassociative, I'll need to see first what the implications are. Just wanted to tell it succeeded.

1. What is projective space?

Projective space is a mathematical concept that extends the idea of Euclidean space to include points at infinity. It is commonly used in geometry, algebra, and other branches of mathematics.

2. How is multiplication defined in projective space?

In projective space, multiplication is defined as a binary operation between two points. It involves taking the cross product of the two points and then normalizing the resulting vector to obtain a new point. This operation is also known as the Plücker embedding.

3. What are the properties of multiplication in projective space?

Multiplication in projective space has several important properties, including associativity, commutativity, and distributivity. It also has an identity element, known as the point at infinity, which acts as the neutral element under multiplication.

4. How is multiplication in projective space used in real-world applications?

Multiplication in projective space has various applications in computer graphics, computer vision, and robotics. It is used to represent and manipulate geometric objects, such as lines and planes, in a more compact and efficient way. It also plays a crucial role in 3D transformations and projections.

5. Are there any limitations to multiplication in projective space?

While multiplication in projective space has many useful properties, it also has some limitations. For example, it is not defined for all pairs of points, and it can lead to singularities in certain situations. Additionally, it may not always preserve the geometric properties of the original objects being multiplied.