Automotive, Holes Subframe etc., Purpose (not for Fastener Access)?

In summary, the purpose of the bolt holes on a automotive subframe are for drainage and to allow the introduction of particles that can cause rust. They also provide accurate jig positioning points and increase flexibility.
YoshiMoshi
Hi,

In automotive industry, I've seen subframes, lower control arms, upper control arms, cross members etc that have holes in them.
1667526461162.png

Like above. That do not provide access to a stud, nut, that was put in from the other side. Now I understand some of these holes are there for that exact purpose (as can be seen in the picture). I get that. But this isn't the case for a good amount of them. This got me thinking, what is their purpose and function if not to provide access to a fastener? Seems like a good way to introduce water, and crud from the street to the internals of these metal structures. Seems like a good idea to just cover them up, install a grease fitting, a relief valve, and inject grease into the hollow structure to prevent rusting from the inside out. But I highly doubt these holes have no purpose? I've watched videos of people on YouTube replacing this lower control arm (the thing highlighted in the picture) without using the holes for access to fasteners.

I know I can just remove the old component and install the new one and go about my life, but I really don't understand the point of these holes and would like to learn their purpose.

Engineering news on Phys.org
YoshiMoshi said:
I really don't understand the point of these holes and would like to learn their purpose.
Holes provide drainage and an exit route for particles that enter through bolt access holes, or through gaps or cracks in welds. Hermetically sealed components are heavy and expensive.

Holes provide accurate jig positioning points. Jigs are needed during the mass production of precision steering components.

Holes increase flexibility by allowing some distortion of the flat metal surface. In plastic designed components, something must give. It is better to flex and deform the sheet material near a smooth hole, than to fracture a weld.

Likes russ_watters, jack action, hutchphd and 3 others
Hey thanks! I really appreciate it.

It sounds like welding sheet metal over these holes so I could create a sealed unit would not be a good idea then because it would interfere with the ability of the lower control arm to flex? Or even just simply putting a plastic cover or a rubber boot over the hole would also create issues?

I was just thinking of a non sealed metal structure that will likely rust out, might as well as seal it and fill it up with grease to prevent rusting.

Some of the bolt holes on my subframe have plastic covers over them that you have to pry out, probably to keep the threaded studs from rusting to badly. While the ones that aren't meant for this are just left open.

YoshiMoshi said:
I was just thinking of a non sealed metal structure that will likely rust out, might as well as seal it and fill it up with grease to prevent rusting.
The main problem is that it cannot be economically sealed.

When the component was manufactured, it was dipped in a series of baths that prevent rusting and coat the surfaces with paint, inside and out. The holes allow the liquid treatment to flow in and drain out. Because the inside is not exposed to environmental scratches, it is more durable than the outside of the component.

• Informative
Likes Tom.G and Lnewqban
Holes in components mean a lighter part weight.

Automobiles before the 1960 had a stamped and welded iron chassis. The body was set on top of this chassis with rubber pads providing isolation. Bolts were used to secure the chassis. Todays pick up trucks still use this type chassis.
Bare chassis weighs 250 pounds and the convertible model had a heavy X frame section to prevent and or reduce body flexing since you did not have a sedan body connecting laterally to the chassis.
In the early 1960s the manufacturers went to UNI body design that used heavy sheet metal to substitute for the separate chassis. One main reason was weight. These cars were a lot lighter as the mass was reduced. Light weight means more fuel economy as the car required a smaller engine , with less horsepower to move the car. Less power means less fuel required. Holes in components mean a lighter part weight. its all about miles per gallon. Plus it was cheaper and faster to make.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes berkeman

What is the purpose of the holes in an automotive subframe?

The holes in an automotive subframe serve several purposes. They allow for the attachment of various components, such as suspension and steering components, to the subframe. They also provide access for tools and equipment during assembly and maintenance. Additionally, the holes help to reduce the overall weight of the subframe, improving the vehicle's fuel efficiency and handling.

How are the holes in an automotive subframe designed and placed?

The design and placement of holes in an automotive subframe are carefully calculated and engineered. They are strategically placed to distribute weight and stress evenly, ensuring the subframe's structural integrity. The size and shape of the holes are also crucial, as they must be strong enough to withstand the forces of the vehicle's movement while also allowing for necessary attachments and access.

What materials are commonly used to make automotive subframes?

Automotive subframes are typically made from high-strength steel, aluminum, or a combination of both. These materials provide the necessary strength and durability to support the weight of the vehicle and withstand the stresses of driving. In recent years, some manufacturers have also begun using lightweight materials such as carbon fiber to reduce the overall weight of the vehicle.

Can the holes in an automotive subframe affect the vehicle's performance?

Yes, the holes in an automotive subframe can have a significant impact on the vehicle's performance. As mentioned earlier, they play a crucial role in weight reduction and distribution, which can affect the vehicle's handling and fuel efficiency. Additionally, if the holes are not properly designed or placed, they can weaken the subframe and compromise the vehicle's safety and stability.

Are there any potential issues with the holes in an automotive subframe?

While the holes in an automotive subframe serve important purposes, they can also present potential issues. If the subframe is not properly maintained, the holes can become corroded or damaged, compromising the subframe's structural integrity. Additionally, if the holes are not aligned correctly during assembly, it can cause misalignment of attached components, leading to issues with the vehicle's performance and safety.