Average Angular Acceleration of a Music CD over 75 minutes

The correct time is 74.2 minutes as I wrote in post #5. The time in post #4 should be 74.2 minutes and the average angular acceleration should be ##-0.0064~\text{rad/s}^2##. The good news is that the OP was correct. The bad news is that I was not.
mcarloni
A CD has a playing time of 74.2 minutes. When the music starts, the CD is rotating at an angular speed of 488 revolutions per minute (rpm). At the end of the music, the CD is rotating at 215 rpm. Find the magnitude of the average angular acceleration of the CD. Express your answer in rad/s^2.

knowns:
t = 74.2 min or 4344 sec
w0 = 488 rev/min * 2pi rad = 3066 rad/min / 60 sec/min = 51 rad/sec
w = 215 rev/min * 2pi rad = 1350 rad/min / 60 sec/min = 23 rad/sec

av ang acc = w - w0 / t = (23 - 51) / 4344 = -.0064 rad/sec^2

WileyPlus tells me my answer is wrong. Tried a positive answer, too.
I'm stumped!
UPDATE: SOLVED

Wiley needed more significant figures

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm answering this just for the record. Yes, the solution looks correct.

mcarloni said:
t = 74.2 min or 4344 sec
74.2mins = 4452s not 4344s. (Also note that the symbol for seconds is 's' not 'sec'.)
mcarloni said:
w0 = 488 rev/min * 2pi rad = 3066 rad/min / 60 sec/min = 51 rad/sec
w = 215 rev/min * 2pi rad = 1350 rad/min / 60 sec/min = 23 rad/sec
You should not round-off too much in intermediate steps - especially if you are going to find the difference between 2 rounded values.
##\omega_{initial}## = 51.1032 rad/s (not 51 rad/s)
##\omega_{final}## = 22.5147 rad/s (not 23 rad/s)

mcarloni said:
av ang acc = w - w0 / t = (23 - 515) / 4344 = -.0064 rad/sec^2
That should be ##\frac {22.5147 rad/s- 51.1032 rad/s }{4452s} = -0.00642rad/s^2##.

You have made three mistake - one converting minutes to seconds and two rounding. By good luck your three mistakes have cancelled-out so that your final answer matches the correct answer to two significant figures!!!

• Wow
Likes berkeman, bob012345 and erobz
For even better accuracy, I would first take the difference then convert $$\begin{align}|\bar a| & =\frac{(488-215)~(\text{rev/min})}{74.2~(\text{min})}=\frac{273}{74.2}~(\text{rev/min}^2) \nonumber \\
& =\frac{273}{74.2}~(\text{rev/min}^2)\times(2\pi)~(\text{rad/rev})\times \left(\frac{1}{60}~(\text{min/s)}\right)^2.\nonumber
\end{align}$$

Last edited:
Likes SammyS and Steve4Physics
kuruman said:
For even better accuracy, I would first take the difference then convert $$\begin{align}|\bar a| & =\frac{(488-215)~(\text{rev/min})}{72.4~(\text{min})}=\frac{273}{72.4}~(\text{rev/min}^2) \nonumber \\
& =\frac{273}{72.4}~(\text{rev/min}^2)\times(2\pi)~(\text{rad/rev})\times \left(\frac{1}{60}~(\text{min/s)}\right)^2.\nonumber
\end{align}$$
To avoid confusion note the typo' - the time is 74.2 minutes, not 72.4.

Likes kuruman
Steve4Physics said:
To avoid confusion note the typo' - the time is 74.2 minutes, not 72.4.
There goes my purported accuracy. It's fixed now, thanks.

Good catch @Steve4Physics ! I'm a bit embarrassed I did not catch the errors in the OP. I calculated with minutes and converted at the end and getting the same number I did not notice the minutes conversion in the OP was based on transposing the 2 and 4.

Likes Steve4Physics
bob012345 said:
Good catch @Steve4Physics ! I'm a bit embarrassed I did not catch the errors in the OP. I calculated with minutes and converted at the end and getting the same number I did not notice the minutes conversion in the OP was based on transposing the 2 and 4.
I am more than a bit embarrassed for making the same error in post #4.

1. What is the average angular acceleration of a music CD over 75 minutes?

The average angular acceleration of a music CD over 75 minutes depends on the specific CD and its rotational speed. However, in general, the average angular acceleration is very small as the CD spins at a constant speed throughout its playtime.

2. How is the average angular acceleration of a music CD calculated?

The average angular acceleration of a music CD can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: average angular acceleration = (final angular velocity - initial angular velocity) / time.

3. What factors can affect the average angular acceleration of a music CD?

The average angular acceleration of a music CD can be affected by factors such as the quality of the CD's material, the speed at which it rotates, and any external forces acting on the CD (such as friction).

4. Why is the average angular acceleration of a music CD important to know?

The average angular acceleration of a music CD may be important to know for scientific studies or experiments involving the rotation of objects, or for determining the longevity and durability of the CD itself.

5. Is the average angular acceleration of a music CD constant throughout its playtime?

No, the average angular acceleration of a music CD is not constant throughout its playtime. As the CD spins at a constant speed, the angular acceleration will be zero. However, if the CD is scratched or experiences external forces, the average angular acceleration may vary.