Average thermal power produced

yashboi123
Homework Statement
A 20.0 kg rock is sliding on a rough, horizontal surface at 8.00 m/s and eventually stops due to friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the rock and the surface is 0.200.
Relevant Equations
P = F . v
P = Fvcos(x)
1696561568154.png

I'm curious as to why the average power is not negative in this scenario, since I thought the friction force is in the opposite direction of velocity. As far as I see friction force is the only acting force in the problem, but I may be wrong. I solved this by simply doing (Friction Force * (v/2)), the average velocity.

Physics news on Phys.org
yashboi123 said:
I'm curious as to why the average power is not negative in this scenario
Because it asks for the thermal power produced, not the work per unit time done on the rock. The friction force the rock exerts on the surface is in the same direction as its velocity.

What is average thermal power produced?

Average thermal power produced is the measure of the average amount of thermal energy generated over a period of time by a system, such as a power plant or engine. It is typically measured in watts or kilowatts.

How is average thermal power produced calculated?

Average thermal power produced is calculated by dividing the total thermal energy produced over a given time period by the duration of that time period. This can be calculated by measuring the temperature difference between the input and output of the system and multiplying it by the rate of flow of the energy source.

What factors affect the average thermal power produced?

The average thermal power produced can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type and efficiency of the energy source, the design and condition of the system, and external factors such as weather conditions. The efficiency of the conversion process also plays a significant role in determining the average thermal power produced.

How does average thermal power produced differ from peak thermal power?

Average thermal power produced is the average amount of thermal energy generated over a period of time, while peak thermal power refers to the maximum amount of thermal energy that can be produced by a system at any given time. Peak thermal power is typically used to determine the maximum capacity of a system, while average thermal power is a more accurate representation of the system's performance over time.

Why is it important to measure average thermal power produced?

Measuring average thermal power produced is important for understanding the performance and efficiency of a system. It can also help identify any issues or inefficiencies in the system that may need to be addressed. Additionally, tracking average thermal power produced over time can provide valuable data for making improvements and optimizing energy production.