Average velocity when the interval has a domain

In summary, to find the average velocity of a ball thrown into the air, represented by the equation s(t) = 40t -16t^2, over the time interval (t, 2), for 0 < t < 2, one must first let Δt = 2-t and then use the formula Δs = s(2)-s(t) to determine the average velocity, which will be a function of t.
Biscuit

Homework Statement

If a ball is thrown into the air with a velocity of 40 ft/sec, its height (in feet) after t seconds is given by
s(t) = 40t -16t^2.

Find the average velocity, vAV (t), of the ball over the time interval (t, 2), for 0 < t < 2.

Homework Equations

change of x/change of t[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Other questions were a breeze but this one stumped me. Am I just supposed to plug in 1 for t variable here? I feel like that doesn't make sense because the question before this was on the interval (1,2). I also thought maybe I should just replace the variable with the domain it has given me and write down a super long unsolved equation. Any help is appreciated thanks![/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I would let:

##\Delta t=2-t##

Now, the average velocity is the total displacement divided by the time elapsed:

##\overline{v}=\dfrac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}=?##

MarkFL said:
I would let:

##\Delta t=2-t##

Now, the average velocity is the total displacement divided by the time elapsed:

##\overline{v}=\dfrac{\Delta s}{\Delta t}=?##
but what value would go in for t here?

Biscuit said:
but what value would go in for t here?

##t## is not set to any specific value, all we know is ##0<t<2##, so your average velocity will depend on ##t##, that is, it will be a function of ##t##.

MarkFL said:
##t## is not set to any specific value, all we know is ##0<t<2##, so your average velocity will depend on ##t##, that is, it will be a function of ##t##.
So there will be no exact answer in the end won't there be a t variable?

Biscuit said:
So there will be no exact answer in the end won't there be a t variable?

Yes, the average velocity will depend on ##t##. It will give you a formula into which you can plug any allowed value of ##t## to find the average velocity corresponding to that value of ##t##.

MarkFL said:
Yes, the average velocity will depend on ##t##. It will give you a formula into which you can plug any allowed value of ##t## to find the average velocity corresponding to that value of ##t##.
how would I find what the change of position is if I have no first value of t to plug in?

Biscuit said:
how would I find what the change of position is if I have no first value of t to plug in?

You would use 2 as your final time and ##t## as your initial time, i.e.:

##\Delta s=s(2)-s(t)=?##

1. What is average velocity when the interval has a domain?

Average velocity when the interval has a domain is a measure of the average rate at which an object moves over a specific time interval, taking into account both the distance traveled and the direction of motion. It is calculated by dividing the change in position by the change in time.

2. How is average velocity calculated?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in position (or displacement) by the change in time. This can be represented by the equation: average velocity = (final position - initial position) / (final time - initial time).

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is a measure of the average rate of motion over a specific time interval, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. In other words, average velocity takes into account the overall motion of an object, while instantaneous velocity only considers the velocity at a single point.

4. How does the domain of an interval affect average velocity?

The domain of an interval refers to the time interval over which average velocity is calculated. The length of the time interval can greatly affect the value of average velocity. For example, a shorter time interval will result in a more accurate representation of an object's velocity at a specific moment, while a longer time interval will provide a better overall picture of the object's motion.

5. Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative. This indicates that an object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point. For example, if an object moves 10 meters to the left in 5 seconds, its average velocity would be -2 meters per second.