AZINGLY, for the Joule cycle there is no heat flow at all, so it is 1-0 = 1.

In summary: AZING!In summary, to calculate the efficiency for a cycle process, you can use the equation Efficiency = W/Qh, where W is the net heat flow and Qh and Qc are the heat flows in and out, respectively. The Diesel and Otto cycles involve adiabatic compression and expansion, resulting in heat flow only occurring in two of the four parts. For Diesel, the efficiency can be calculated as (Cp|ΔT1|-Cv|ΔT3|)/Cp|ΔT1| = 1 -(1/γ)|ΔT3|/|ΔT1|, while for Otto it is (|ΔT1|-|ΔT3
Abigale
Diesel, Otto , Joule TRICK?

Hi Guys,
I try to callculate the efficiency for a cycle Process.
For Diesel, Otto and Joule Processes you can write the efficiency as a really small equation.

I have seen that for example sometimes the adiabatic equation is used,
but i don't understand in which case, or better, how I have to connect the procceses?

Is there a trick or do I have to learn it by memorization?

THX

Physics news on Phys.org
Abigale said:
Hi Guys,
I try to callculate the efficiency for a cycle Process.
For Diesel, Otto and Joule Processes you can write the efficiency as a really small equation.

I have seen that for example sometimes the adiabatic equation is used,
but i don't understand in which case, or better, how I have to connect the procceses?

Is there a trick or do I have to learn it by memorization?

THX
Efficiency = W/Qh and, since there is no change in U in a complete cycle, W = net heat flow = Qh+Qc = |Qh|-|Qc|.

So all you have to worry about is the heat flow.

Since both the Diesel and Otto cycles involve adiabatic compression and expansion, heat flow only occurs in two of the four parts:

For Diesel the constant pressure expansion part (1 - heat flow in) and constant volume part (3 - heat flow out). So it is just: (Cp|ΔT1|-Cv|ΔT3|)/Cp|ΔT1| = 1 -(1/γ)|ΔT3|/|ΔT1|

For Otto heat flow is in the two constant volume parts, so efficency is (|ΔT1|-|ΔT3|)/|ΔT1| = 1 - |ΔT3|/|ΔT1|

AM

1. What is the difference between Diesel and Otto engines?

The main difference between Diesel and Otto engines is the type of fuel used. Diesel engines use diesel fuel, which is a heavier and oilier type of fuel, while Otto engines use gasoline. Another difference is the combustion process - diesel engines compress the air first and then inject the fuel, while Otto engines mix the fuel and air together before compression.

2. What is the Joule TRICK and how does it work?

The Joule TRICK refers to the process of using a turbine in a diesel engine to recover energy from the exhaust gases and convert it into mechanical energy. The turbine is connected to a crankshaft, which helps to power the engine and improve its overall efficiency.

3. Is the Joule TRICK only applicable to diesel engines?

No, the Joule TRICK can also be used in other types of engines, such as gas turbines. However, it is most commonly used in diesel engines due to their higher exhaust gas temperatures, which make them more suitable for the recovery of energy through a turbine.

4. What are the benefits of using the Joule TRICK in a diesel engine?

The Joule TRICK can improve the efficiency of a diesel engine by up to 10%, resulting in lower fuel consumption and reduced emissions. It also helps to reduce the strain on the engine and can extend its lifespan.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to implementing the Joule TRICK?

One of the main challenges is the cost of implementing the Joule TRICK, as it requires additional components and modifications to the engine. Another limitation is that it may not be suitable for all types of diesel engines, as the exhaust gas temperature needs to be high enough for the turbine to work effectively.