Is there a B field in a charging spherical capacitor?

In summary, if a spherical capacitor is being charged, the E field between the plates is growing with time which implies a displacement current which in turn implies a B field. However, because the B field is zero because of symmetry, it is difficult to find this field.
scoomer
Suppose a spherical capacitor is being charged. In this case the E field between the plates is growing with time which implies a displacement current which in turn implies a B field. How would one find this B field if it does exists? I'm guessing the B field is zero because of symmetry. I have searched the web but cannot find a reference - can anyone point me to a reference?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the case of a parallel plate capacitor, the magnetic field outside of the parallel plates is actually the same as the magnetic field from the wires (assumed long and infinite) that are carrying the current ## I ## that is supplying the current to the capacitor. ## \\ ## I think in the solution to this problem you need to assume some kind of input current to feed the center capacitor. If you assume a spherically symmetric input current, I think this input current might precisely cancel the ## \epsilon_o \frac{d \vec{E}}{dt} ##. The alternative is to have straight wires supplying the current. This will disrupt the spherical symmetry of the problem, and I believe the result will be a non-zero ## \vec{B} ## . It will simply have azimuthal symmetry. ## \\ ## To elaborate on the above for the parallel plate capacitor: ## E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_o} =\frac{Q}{\epsilon_o A} ##. ## \\ ## Ampere's law with just the displacement current term (for a loop outside the capacitor whose plane passes between the capacitor plates) gives: ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot dl=\mu_o \epsilon_o \int \dot{E} \, dA=\mu_o \epsilon_o \dot{E}A ##. ## \\ ## This gives ## \oint \vec{B} \cdot dl=\mu_o \epsilon_o \frac{\dot{Q}}{\epsilon_o A} A=\mu_o \dot{Q}=\mu_o I ##. ## \\ ## We see the ## \mu_o \epsilon_o \dot{E} ## term is exactly what is needed (with displacement current ## I_D=\epsilon_o \dot{E} ##) for Ampere's law to work with the plane passing between the capacitor plates, because the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ## from the wires will be continuous. ## \\ ## For the spherical case, see the 2nd paragragh above.

Last edited:
Likes scoomer and Dale
Thank you Charles Link for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is a charging spherical capacitor?

A charging spherical capacitor is a device used to store electrical energy. It consists of two conductive plates, one with a positive charge and one with a negative charge, separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied, the capacitor charges and stores energy in the form of an electric field between the plates.

2. Is there a magnetic field (B field) in a charging spherical capacitor?

Yes, there is a B field present in a charging spherical capacitor. This is because the movement of charges during the charging process creates a current, which in turn creates a magnetic field. The strength of the B field depends on factors such as the voltage applied, the distance between the plates, and the material of the dielectric.

3. How does the B field affect the charging process of a spherical capacitor?

The B field does not directly affect the charging process of a spherical capacitor. However, it can have an impact on the overall efficiency and behavior of the capacitor. The B field can induce eddy currents in nearby conductive materials, which can cause energy loss. It can also influence the capacitance and electric field distribution within the capacitor.

4. Can the B field be measured in a charging spherical capacitor?

Yes, the B field can be measured using a magnetic field sensor. However, due to the relatively small size and low strength of the B field in a charging spherical capacitor, specialized equipment may be needed to accurately measure it.

5. Is the B field present in a fully charged spherical capacitor?

Yes, the B field is still present in a fully charged spherical capacitor. However, the strength of the B field may decrease as the capacitor reaches its maximum charge, depending on the materials and design of the capacitor. In some cases, the B field may also fluctuate as the capacitor discharges and recharges during use.