Is Back to the Future the Clearest Explanation of Time Travel in Film?

In summary, Back to the Future is an excellent movie that does a great job of explaining time travel. Primer does not do a good job of explaining time travel, and this is unfortunate because several other authors have done a better job.
gopolks
Doc Brown's explanation of time travel on the blackboard, in BTTF2, the best explanation of time travel I have seen in any movie.

Physics news on Phys.org
gopolks said:
Doc Brown's explanation of time travel on the blackboard, in BTTF2, the best explanation of time travel I have seen in any movie.

This is unfortunate. Primer does a much better job. And several Heinlein books go even further: Time Enough For Love and ...All Your Zombies specifically. Even Isaac Asimov acknowledge that Heinlein was the best science fiction writer and would continue to hold that title until he died (Source: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2009/04/heinlein-pulp-greatness/#.Ui8wp8ZjuSo)

If you find the fictional representation of time travel interesting then you should take some time and look towards the great authors who have done it justice.

That being said, everyone loves Back to the Future, AMIRIGHT?

FlexGunship said:
This is unfortunate. Primer does a much better job.
Primer does a better job at explaining time travel? Are you serious?

Compare:
FxQvhX3.jpg

with:
AIK7YRu.jpg

...and that is even disregarding the fact that there was no such explanation in the film.

FlexGunship said:
This is unfortunate. Primer does a much better job. And several Heinlein books go even further: Time Enough For Love and ...All Your Zombies specifically. Even Isaac Asimov acknowledge that Heinlein was the best science fiction writer and would continue to hold that title until he died (Source: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2009/04/heinlein-pulp-greatness/#.Ui8wp8ZjuSo)

If you find the fictional representation of time travel interesting then you should take some time and look towards the great authors who have done it justice.

That being said, everyone loves Back to the Future, AMIRIGHT?

I still think Heinlein's short story "By His Bootstraps" is the best time travel story I've ever read. At one point there are four versions of the main character, each on his own timeline, all talking to each other trying to figure out what's going on. And yes, "Back to the Future" is great.

as soon as i hear i only remember about the book where a man invents a machine that could travel in time .he goes into the past where his machine will be lost . he somehow manages to find his machine he soon travels to the future and he sees that ,earth would be a worst place to live in .he comes back to his own time .it's an extraordinary novel .it was written by h g wells the first science fiction author.

rshreyas said:
as soon as i hear i only remember about the book where a man invents a machine that could travel in time .he goes into the past where his machine will be lost . he somehow manages to find his machine he soon travels to the future and he sees that ,earth would be a worst place to live in .he comes back to his own time .it's an extraordinary novel .it was written by h g wells the first science fiction author.

That novel is "The Time Machine". And he's hardly the first sci fi author. Even Jules Verne started writing years before him.

The first sci fi author or work is difficult to pin down - even the Sumerian Epic of Gilgamesh has been cited as the first sci fi work, but most would just consider it mythology.

phyzguy said:
I still think Heinlein's short story "By His Bootstraps" is the best time travel story I've ever read. At one point there are four versions of the main character, each on his own timeline, all talking to each other trying to figure out what's going on. And yes, "Back to the Future" is great.

...All You Zombies is the revised title (in short story form) for By His Bootstraps. Same character and story.

Bandersnatch said:
Primer does a better job at explaining time travel? Are you serious?
[...]
...and that is even disregarding the fact that there was no such explanation in the film.

Primer's rules for time travel are consistent within the movie (as opposed to Back to the Future). Regardless of the complexity of the situations, Primer doesn't really have any logical issues. BttF has entire websites devoted to the comical plot holes.

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/16532/the-plot-holes-and-paradoxes-of-the-back-to-the-future-trilogy

Last edited:

Related to Is Back to the Future the Clearest Explanation of Time Travel in Film?

1. How does time travel work in "Back to the Future"?

In the "Back to the Future" series, time travel is made possible through the use of a DeLorean car that has been modified into a time machine by inventor Doc Brown. The car is powered by a flux capacitor, which allows it to travel through time when it reaches a speed of 88 miles per hour.

2. What are the consequences of altering the past in "Back to the Future"?

According to the movie, altering the past can have serious consequences on the future. This is known as the "butterfly effect," where even the smallest changes in the past can have a major impact on the present. In the second movie, Marty accidentally changes the future by buying a sports almanac in the past, creating an alternate reality.

3. Is time travel possible in real life like it is in "Back to the Future"?

While time travel has been a popular concept in science fiction, it is currently not possible in real life. The laws of physics, specifically the theory of relativity, make it very difficult to travel through time. The closest we have come is through the use of atomic clocks and satellites, which have been shown to experience time differently due to their speed and distance from Earth's gravitational pull.

4. Can you meet your past or future self in "Back to the Future"?

In the movie, Marty McFly accidentally meets his past self while time traveling in the first movie. However, this is not possible in real life. The concept of meeting your past or future self is known as the "grandfather paradox," where the very act of meeting yourself could alter the timeline and create a paradox. Therefore, it is believed that if time travel were possible, there would be restrictions in place to prevent such encounters.

5. What are some other theories of time travel besides the one shown in "Back to the Future"?

Besides the concept of traveling through time using a machine or device, there are other theories of time travel that have been proposed by scientists. One is the idea of wormholes, which are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for time travel. Another is the theory of time dilation, which states that time moves slower for objects moving at high speeds. However, these theories are still highly theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.