Why is it thought that black holes could make us travel to the past?

In summary, scientists do not actually believe that time travel through black holes is likely. While fictional scientists often use black holes as a means for time travel in movies and works of fiction, this is purely for plot convenience and not based on scientific evidence. While there is a possibility for wormhole geometries to allow for time travel, this is not a realistic scenario in the context of black holes. However, this idea has been explored in science fiction, such as in the film "Interstellar" with the help of astrophysicist Kip Thorne, and can be entertaining for those who can suspend their disbelief.
Etherealist
I very often see in movies and works of fiction that scientists explain that with a black hole you can travel in time and how the characters use black holes to travel in time, more precisely to the past

Do scientists really believe that time travel through black holes is likely? If so, why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No. Those are fictional scientists. Their statements are for plot convenience, not education.

Likes sophiecentaur, BillTre, Demystifier and 5 others
A more technical answer is this. Maximal extension of the simplest eternal black hole solution (Schwarzschild solution) has a non-traversable wormhole. Such an eternal solution is not physically realistic because the realistic black hole forms through gravitational collapse, so is not eternal. And even if it was realistic, the non-traversable wormhole, as its name suggests, cannot be used for travel. Nevertheless, it's easy to ignore the "non-traversable" stipulation and fantasize what would happen if black hole contained a wormhole which was traversable. Mathematically, it is possible to imagine wormhole geometries which allow time travel, under certain conditions perhaps even to the past, which is where the inspiration for SF stories of this kind comes from. In fact, I think the first SF story using a wormhole for space travel was "Contact" by the astrophysicist Carl Sagan, who used the idea of wormholes suggested to him by the physicist Kip Thorne.

Likes Ivan Seeking, PeroK and pinball1970
Demystifier said:
A more technical answer is this. Maximal extension of the simplest eternal black hole solution (Schwarzschild solution) has a non-traversable wormhole. Such an eternal solution is not physically realistic because the realistic black hole forms through gravitational collapse, so is not eternal. And even if it was realistic, the non-traversable wormhole, as its name suggests, cannot be used for travel. Nevertheless, it's easy to ignore the "non-traversable" stipulation and fantasize what would happen if black hole contained a wormhole which was traversable. Mathematically, it is possible to imagine wormhole geometries which allow time travel, under certain conditions perhaps even to the past, which is where the inspiration for SF stories of this kind comes from. In fact, I think the first SF story using a wormhole for space travel was "Contact" by the astrophysicist Carl Sagan, who used the idea of wormholes suggested to him by the physicist Kip Thorne.
As Jodie Foster's character, Ellie, goes through the worm hole we see her as a mixture of future and present events like causality has been messed with.
Interstellar, has the inside of the black hole as a series of past events as compartments, Cooper can go to where he can communicate with Murph in the past in his present....
Sci fi but fun!

Likes Demystifier
I can't say I've ever subjected myself to a feature film involving a black hole. Kubrick's Space Odyssey and Tarkovsky's Solaris are the closest I've come.

Likes Demystifier
PeroK said:
I can't say I've ever subjected myself to a feature film involving a black hole. Kubrick's Space Odyssey and Tarkovsky's Solaris are the closest I've come.
Interstellar is definitely worth seeing. Kip Thorne was the SA on this film as well apparently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Science_of_Interstellar

PeroK said:
I can't say I've ever subjected myself to a feature film involving a black hole.
You are missing out: suspension of disbelief can be entertaining.

Edit: although the "compartment" thing at the end of Intersteller was a bit of a stretch for me, even though it was a great plot device.

Likes sophiecentaur, pinball1970, BillTre and 1 other person
pbuk said:
You are missing out: suspension of disbelief can be entertaining.

Edit: although the "compartment" thing at the end of Intersteller was a bit of a stretch for me, even though it was a great plot device.
It's not about suspension of disbelief. One of my favourite modern films is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's the crassness and lack of imagination of the blockbuster movie.

PeroK said:
It's the crassness and lack of imagination of the blockbuster movie.
"The blockbuster" is fairly broad. I do not want to derail the thread. Perhaps a small post in Arts.

PeroK said:
So you watch only hard core SF. :bow:

Demystifier said:
So you watch only hard core SF. :bow:
I've seen four Tarkovsky films: Ivan's Childhood, Andrei Rublev, Solaris and The Mirror.

I've seen all Kubrick's major films, except Barry Lyndon.

[Thread moved from the Relativity technical forum to the SciFi forum] :wink:

Likes Tom.G, Demystifier and BillTre
PeroK said:
It's not about suspension of disbelief. One of my favourite modern films is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. It's the crassness and lack of imagination of the blockbuster movie.
I liked that one. Asian people seem more demanding of logical plots than the West, where all too often the plot is merely a thin excuse for car chases and fist or gun fights.

There is a solution from GR that allows a spacecraft to circumnavigate a black hole, and exit orbit at the same moment they enter orbit, or nearly so. IIRC this is a consequence of frame dragging.

There is also a solution that allows for massless black holes traveling at the speed of light. But that's another story. :)

Etherealist said:
I very often see in movies and works of fiction that scientists explain that with a black hole you can travel in time and how the characters use black holes to travel in time, more precisely to the past

Do scientists really believe that time travel through black holes is likely? If so, why?
I think that currently scientists do not believe that time travel through black holes is possible. I have read that it would negative energy, whatever that is, and maybe a spinning black hole, Spinning black holes do exist, something like closed timelike curves, etc, and other exotic concepts.

Where most scientists do not believe it is possible, Many will not say it is impossible. Scientists are known for their open minds. Time travel without black holes would be even more unlikely, so fiction writers use this mechanism in their stories

1. How can a black hole make us travel to the past?

It is currently just a theoretical concept and has not been proven to be possible. However, some theories suggest that the extreme gravitational pull of a black hole could potentially warp space-time, creating a "wormhole" that could allow for time travel.

2. What is a "wormhole" and how does it relate to time travel?

A wormhole is a hypothetical tunnel through space-time that connects two distant points in the universe. It is thought that if a black hole's intense gravity can create a wormhole, it could potentially allow for time travel by bending space-time and creating a shortcut between two points in time.

3. Why is it specifically thought that black holes could allow for time travel?

Black holes are the most extreme objects in the universe, with an incredibly strong gravitational pull. This immense gravitational force is thought to have the potential to bend space and time, making time travel a possibility.

4. Are there any other theories or possibilities for time travel?

Yes, there are other theories such as the concept of "time dilation" in which time moves slower for an object with high velocity or strong gravitational pull. This could potentially allow for time travel, but it would require advanced technology and is still just a theory.

5. Is there any evidence to support the idea of black holes allowing for time travel?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence to support the idea of black holes allowing for time travel. It remains a theoretical concept and is still being explored and studied by scientists. However, some theories and mathematical equations suggest that it could be possible under certain circumstances.