How Do You Balance Objects on a Uniform Board to Maintain Equilibrium?

In summary, the 9 kg object must be placed at a distance of L/3 from the balance point to keep the board in equilibrium.
srekai
frfr1. Homework Statement
A 15 kg uniform wooden board of length L is balanced at its center. A 6 kg object is to be placed on the right end. How far from the balance point must a 9 kg object be placed to keep the board in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

##m_1d_1 = m_2d_2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it just ##6 \frac{L}{2} = 9 d_2##
##d_2 = \frac{L}{3}##? I guess I am not sure since they mention the weight of the wooden board, but since it is uniformly distributed, its weight shouldn't matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
srekai said:
frfr1. Homework Statement
A 15 kg uniform wooden board of length L is balanced at its center. A 6 kg object is to be placed on the right end. How far from the balance point must a 9 kg object be placed to keep the board in equilibrium?

Homework Equations

##m_1d_1 = m_2d_2##

The Attempt at a Solution

Is it just ##6 \frac{L}{2} = 9 d_2##
##d_2 = \frac{L}{3}##? I guess I am not sure since they mention the weight of the wooden board, but since it is uniformly distributed, its weight shouldn't matter?
You are right, and I like that you have recognized that the mass of the board does not affect the answer.

Likes srekai

1. How do you determine the center of mass for a uniform board?

The center of mass for a uniform board is located at the exact midpoint of the board, both horizontally and vertically. This can be found by dividing the length and width of the board in half.

2. What is the purpose of balancing a uniform board?

The purpose of balancing a uniform board is to evenly distribute the weight of the board so that it remains stable and does not tip over. This is important for safety and to ensure the board can support any objects placed on it.

3. What factors affect the stability of a balanced uniform board?

The stability of a balanced uniform board is affected by the weight of the board, the weight and placement of objects on the board, and the surface on which the board is resting. Uneven weight distribution or an uneven surface can cause the board to become unstable.

4. How can you test the balance of a uniform board?

The balance of a uniform board can be tested by gently pushing down on each corner of the board. If the board remains stable and does not tip or wobble, it is properly balanced. You can also try placing objects of different weights and sizes on the board and see if it remains stable.

5. Is there a specific technique for balancing a uniform board?

Yes, there are a few techniques for balancing a uniform board. One method is to start by placing the board on a flat surface and adjusting the placement of objects until the board remains stable. Another technique is to divide the board into quadrants and make sure each quadrant has an equal weight distribution. You can also use a level tool to ensure the board is sitting evenly on a flat surface.