Balancing Forces on a Frictionless Surface: Exploring Tension and Equilibrium

In summary, the forces in the x-direction are balanced when an object is moving at a constant velocity on a frictionless surface. However, if an object is being dragged across a frictionless surface with a string, the tension force will be present in the opposite direction, causing the forces in the x-direction to be unbalanced.
halpmeplz
I know that if an object is moving at a constant velocity on a frictionless surface, the forces are balanced (add to 0). The only force vectors you would have are Fg and Fn going down/up.

But what if an object is being dragged across a frictionless surface with a string; wouldn't there be a tension force going left or right? So if you add that tension force, I don't see how the forces in the x-direction can be balanced... because shouldn't there be a force going the opposite way so the forces still add to 0? In a free body diagram, I don't see how there could be a force going opposite the tension force, because there is no friction... so how are the forces still balanced?
Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
If there's no forces acting against the force of the tension force (and it is the only X force,) then what is the net force in the X direction?

The forces don't necessarily have to add to zero on the same object (if they don't, then the net force will cause acceleration on your object instead of allowing its velocity to stay constant.) Although there is technically an equal magnitude of pulling force on the string in the direction of the object.

Does that help to answer your question? :)

Last edited:
I think I understand... but I'm only looking at it as if velocity stays constant... in a force diagram, would I draw a force vector going left if I have the tension vector going right? (you said there is a pulling force on the string in the direction of the object)... or would I just have the tension force vector?

edit; I assume the net force would be equal to the tension force...?

On that one object, you would just have the tension vector.

You don't need to worry about the equal force of the object on the string. ;)

Ok... thanks so much!

No problem!
If you feel that I was unclear on anything or need further clarification, just PM me.

Related to Balancing Forces on a Frictionless Surface: Exploring Tension and Equilibrium

1. What is a force diagram?

A force diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object. It uses arrows to show the magnitude and direction of each force.

2. Why do we use force diagrams?

Force diagrams help us to understand the forces acting on an object and how they interact with each other. They also allow us to make predictions about the motion of an object.

3. What are the different types of forces shown in a force diagram?

The most common forces shown in a force diagram are gravitational force, normal force, frictional force, tension force, and applied force.

4. How do you draw a force diagram?

To draw a force diagram, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, draw arrows to represent each force, making sure the length and direction of the arrows accurately depict the magnitude and direction of the forces.

5. Can force diagrams be used for non-physical systems?

Yes, force diagrams can be used for non-physical systems as well. They can be used to represent the forces acting on a system, such as economic or social forces, and help us understand their interactions and outcomes.