Ball and Box Collision: Finding Final Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a ball with mass 2.5 kg moving at 6.0 m/s and a box with mass 4.5 kg moving at 4.0 m/s at an angle of 120 degrees. After the collision, the objects stick together and the final velocity is asked to be found. Using the equations for conservation of momentum in the x and y directions, the final velocity was calculated to be 2.39 m/s.
Squizzel

Homework Statement

A ball with mass 2.5 kg is moving in outer space with a velocity of 6.0 m/s horizontally, and a box of mass 4.5 kg is moving with a velocity of 4.0 m/s at a angle of 120 degrees from the horizontal. the two collide and stick together. Find the final velocity of the pair.

Homework Equations

Px = Pix = Pfx
MaVa + MbVb = Vf(Ma+Mb)

The Attempt at a Solution

My first question is whether or not, we take into account the angular velocity of the ball. With that said, I started off the solution using the above formula for x and y.

In the X:

MaVax + MbVbx = Vf(Ma+Mb)

with Vbx = 4 cos 120, this came out to .85ms-1, is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

This is a 2D problem. You need to consider consv. of momentum in both the x and y directions. The problem asks for the final velocity of the objects, not just for the x-component of their final velocity.

EDIT: I haven't checked your arithmetic, but your method for the x-direction looks correct.

EDIT 2: What makes you think the ball has any angular velocity? In any case, this is not relevant to the problem.

Thanks for the welcome, and I understand what you are saying. I didn't do the Y part because I wanted to make sure I was doing the x correctly. So with that said, what do you think.

Also in the Y part, there is no velocity for the Ball, Ma.

Squizzel said:
Thanks for the welcome, and I understand what you are saying. I didn't do the Y part because I wanted to make sure I was doing the x correctly. So with that said, what do you think.

Also in the Y part, there is no velocity for the Ball, Ma.

See the edits to my above post. Also, I do not get the same answer for the x-component of the velocity. Can you show your computational steps?

Sorry, I just noticed the v of the ball is 6, not 6.9 . But my calculation was this:

2.5 x 6 + 4.5 x 4 cos 120 = Vfx x 7
=.85

Is this the right angle? Because when I do the calculation for the Y, I get this:

Y = 4.5 x 4 cos 120 = Vfx x 7

= -1.28

This would mean that the velocity is negative.

Squizzel said:
Sorry, I just noticed the v of the ball is 6, not 6.9 . But my calculation was this:

2.5 x 6 + 4.5 x 4 cos 120 = Vfx x 7
=.85

Is this the right angle? Because when I do the calculation for the Y, I get this:

Y = 4.5 x 4 cos 120 = Vfx x 7

= -1.28

This would mean that the velocity is negative.

Okay, the x-equation looks fine. For the y-equation: why are you using cosine for the y-component of the velocity?

You know that this answer cannot be right, because the vertical momentum is conserved, and the initial vertical momentum is all upward, which means that the final vertical momentum must also be upward (draw a picture).

Ok I now get Y = 4.5 x 4 sin 120 = Vfx x 7

Which comes out to 2.22 and a total v of 3.07. This seems correct. Thanks for your help.

Squizzel said:
Ok I now get Y = 4.5 x 4 sin 120 = Vfx x 7

Which comes out to 2.22 and a total v of 3.07. This seems correct. Thanks for your help.

I agree with your y-component of the final velocity, but NOT with your total magnitude. Bear in mind that you compute the total velocity by taking a *vector sum* of the x and y-components, and that these are *perpendicular* to each other.

I see, I forgot about that.

I got 2.39 after taking the square root of both of them squared.

Squizzel said:
I see, I forgot about that.

I got 2.39 after taking the square root of both of them squared.

Seems right to me. Always draw a diagram when doing these problems. It helps immensely, esp when it comes to avoiding errors like these.

1. How do you calculate the velocity of a ball after colliding with a box?

The velocity of a ball after colliding with a box can be calculated using the formula: v = (m1 * u1 + m2 * u2)/(m1 + m2), where v is the final velocity, m1 is the mass of the ball, u1 is the initial velocity of the ball, m2 is the mass of the box, and u2 is the initial velocity of the box.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both the momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy before and after the collision are equal. In an inelastic collision, only the total momentum is conserved, while some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms, such as heat or sound.

3. How does the angle of collision affect the resulting motion of the ball and box?

The angle of collision determines the direction and magnitude of the forces acting on the ball and box. If the angle of collision is perpendicular to the surface of the box, the ball will bounce off with the same speed and in the opposite direction. However, if the angle of collision is not perpendicular, the resulting motion will be a combination of the ball bouncing off and sliding along the surface of the box.

4. What factors affect the outcome of a ball and box collision?

The outcome of a ball and box collision is affected by several factors, including the masses of the objects, their velocities, and the type of collision (elastic or inelastic). Other factors that may also play a role include the elasticity of the objects, the angle of collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.

5. Can the laws of motion be used to accurately predict the outcome of a ball and box collision?

Yes, the laws of motion, specifically the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, can be used to accurately predict the outcome of a ball and box collision. However, the accuracy of the predictions may depend on the complexity and precision of the initial conditions and the assumptions made in the calculations.