Ball thrown from ISS to earth at right angle to it's path

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of being on the ISS and throwing two balls at different angles towards Earth. The first ball, thrown downwards at a speed of 50km/hr, will eventually enter Earth's atmosphere and burn out or reach the surface. The second ball, thrown upwards at a right angle with the same speed, will continue to travel upwards and potentially escape Earth's gravitational pull. The conversation also mentions the use of conservation of angular momentum and recommends the game Kerbal Space Program for further learning. The conversation ends with questions about the average speed of the ISS and Earth's escape velocity, and the concept of adding velocities as vectors.
abhaybakshi
Suppose I am on ISS and Earth is exactly below (at the right angle to the ISS's line of path).
Now if I throw one ball below towards Earth from window at exactly 90 degrees to the line of path of ISS
and one ball upwards at right angle to the line of path of ISS.

**Assume normal human strength for throwing ball. Say @ 50km/hr

1. Will first ball continue to travel "downwards" (as seen from ISS) and eventually enter into Earth's atmosphere and burn out (or reach earth...whatever)

2. Will second ball contunue to travel "upwards" (as seen from ISS) and will escape the Earth's pull ?

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi, we've established the why of the ISS altitude, now two nice what if questions. In line with the PF culture I invite you to come up with some useful relationships in this context. You familiar with conservation of angular momentum (the gravitational force is central here) ?

I've been playing Kerbal Space Program for a little over a month now... It's ridiculous what you can learn from that game.
If you're interested in these sorts of things, then I can't recommend it highly enough.

For your scenarios, in reverse order:
2. What is the average speed of the ISS? What is Earth's escape velocity?
1. Do you know how to add velocities(vectors)?

Related to Ball thrown from ISS to earth at right angle to it's path

What is the origin of the ball thrown from the ISS?

The ball is thrown from the International Space Station (ISS), which is a habitable artificial satellite in low Earth orbit.

How fast is the ball thrown from the ISS?

The ball is thrown with a velocity of approximately 7.66 kilometers per second, which is the orbital speed of the ISS.

What is the trajectory of the ball thrown from the ISS at a right angle to its path?

The trajectory of the ball will follow a parabolic path due to the influence of gravity. It will initially travel in a straight line, but as it falls towards Earth, it will curve downwards due to the force of gravity.

Will the ball reach Earth's surface if thrown from the ISS at a right angle to its path?

Yes, the ball will eventually reach Earth's surface. However, it may take several minutes as it travels through the atmosphere and encounters air resistance.

What factors may affect the ball's trajectory when thrown from the ISS?

The ball's trajectory may be affected by factors such as air resistance, wind, and the curvature of Earth's surface. Additionally, the initial velocity and angle of the throw will also impact the ball's path.