How Does Voltage Affect LED Color Through Band Gap Adjustments?

Janusz Bednarski
Homework Statement
How can one use a quantum well to change the colour of emitted light from an LED without changing the semiconductor material?
Relevant Equations
-
Hi!

This question is translated so that's why it might sound a bit weird. I know that the answer should mention the band diagram of the LED, and I think that the answer is to introduce an electrical contact connected to a voltage source. Then when you increase the voltage, it should attract the electrons from the quantum well, and repel the holes from the other well, thus increasing the band gap and increasing the emitted light's energy (different colour). And vice versa for a negative voltage.

Am I correct?

IMG_1117.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I am no longer "cutting edge" for LEDs but I am unaware of practical examples of this technology. Does anyone have a real-life example of this idea?

1. How does voltage affect LED color through band gap adjustments?

When voltage is applied to an LED, it affects the band gap of the semiconductor material used in the LED. The band gap determines the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band, which in turn determines the color of light emitted by the LED. By adjusting the voltage, the band gap can be manipulated, leading to changes in the color of light emitted by the LED.

2. What is band gap in relation to LED color?

The band gap is the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band in a semiconductor material. This energy difference determines the color of light emitted by the LED. A larger band gap corresponds to higher energy photons, which emit light at shorter wavelengths (such as blue or violet light), while a smaller band gap corresponds to lower energy photons, emitting light at longer wavelengths (such as red or infrared light).

3. Can voltage be used to change the color of an LED?

Yes, voltage can be used to change the color of an LED by adjusting the band gap of the semiconductor material. By applying different voltages to the LED, the band gap can be altered, leading to a shift in the color of light emitted by the LED. This property is often utilized in RGB LEDs to produce a wide range of colors by independently controlling the voltage applied to each color channel.

4. How does band gap adjustment affect the efficiency of an LED?

Band gap adjustment can affect the efficiency of an LED by influencing the energy levels of the photons emitted by the LED. By optimizing the band gap for a specific wavelength of light, the LED can emit photons more efficiently at that particular wavelength. This can lead to higher efficiency in terms of light output per unit of electrical power input.

5. Are there limitations to using voltage to adjust LED color through band gap modifications?

While voltage can be used to adjust LED color through band gap modifications, there are limitations to this approach. Excessive voltage can lead to increased heat generation and reduced lifespan of the LED. Additionally, the range of colors that can be achieved through band gap adjustments is limited by the semiconductor material used in the LED. Some colors may be more difficult to achieve due to the specific band gap properties of the material.