Bands in strongly correlated materials

• I
  • Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Materials
In summary, the concept of bands is a useful tool in describing electrons in solids, but it is only applicable in cases where the real interacting system of electrons can be approximated as an independent-particles problem. In strongly correlated materials, such as Twisted Bilayer Graphene, standard mean-field methods fail due to the large correlation length. However, scientists still continue to talk about bands, taking into consideration the electronic correlation in their theoretical models. The cause of a flat band structure in materials like Twisted Bilayer Graphene is not solely due to electronic correlation, but also the atomic structure. While band theory may be used to solve for flat bands, it becomes unreliable when correlation effects come into play.
dRic2
Gold Member
The concepts of bands is a useful tool in describing electrons in solids, but as far as I understand it arises naturally only when the real interacting system of electrons can be mapped with a very good approximation to an independent-particles problem (a mean-field approximation). If I have strongly correlated material the correlation length is very big and standard mean-field methods begin to fail. In such a particular case do scientists keep talking about bands ?

Thanks
Ric

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes they do keep talking about bands. Consider the system everybody is talking about nowadays: Twisted Bilayer Graphene. This is a material with a flat band structure and the cause of this is electronic correlation.

People that do theory consider correlation in the hamiltonian and then get a band structure. So yes, they do keep talking about bands.

• Informative
Likes dRic2
I can not agree with david. The cause of a flat band structure is not the electronic correlation. In fact, it is the atomic structure of the material that generates flat bands, if one uses the band theory to solve it. After getting the flat bands, we immediately know that the band theory is not reliable, because the "flatness" invites correlation effect into play.

• Informative
Likes radium and dRic2
@peterwang I think I share your point of view but I was talking about mean fields approximation (like DFT), so a bit of correlation is built inside the effective potential that you use to solve the problem self-consistently. In this way you get a 1-particle equations and thus a band structure, but you are still "seeing" electron correlation (at least to some degree). The problem is when the correlation is too big (in space) and a mean field approach is not very helpful.

1. What are strongly correlated materials?

Strongly correlated materials are materials in which the behavior of electrons cannot be described by the independent motion of individual electrons. In these materials, the electrons interact strongly with each other, leading to complex and often unexpected properties.

2. How do bands form in strongly correlated materials?

In strongly correlated materials, the electrons are not able to move independently, so the concept of a band structure is not applicable. Instead, the electronic states are described by a more complex concept called a "correlated band structure", which takes into account the interactions between electrons.

3. What is the role of electron-electron interactions in the band structure of strongly correlated materials?

Electron-electron interactions play a crucial role in the band structure of strongly correlated materials. These interactions can lead to the formation of new energy levels, known as "quasiparticles", which are a result of the collective behavior of the electrons in the material. The presence of these quasiparticles can significantly affect the electronic properties of the material.

4. How do researchers study bands in strongly correlated materials?

Researchers use a variety of experimental techniques, such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and scanning tunneling microscopy (STM), to study the electronic properties of strongly correlated materials. These techniques allow scientists to directly observe the behavior of electrons and their interactions in these materials.

5. What potential applications do bands in strongly correlated materials have?

Understanding the behavior of bands in strongly correlated materials has the potential to lead to new technological advancements. These materials have unique properties, such as high-temperature superconductivity, that could be harnessed for practical applications in fields such as energy storage and quantum computing.