Barometric Pressure Sensor Port

In summary, the three sensors that are being considered are the MPX2102ASX, MPX2102AP, and MPX2100A. The MPX2102ASX is the same price, has the same specs, but the only difference is in the nozzle. The MPX2102AP is the same price, has the same specs, but the only difference is in the nozzle. The MPX2100A is the same price, has the same specs, but the only difference is in the nozzle.
Jiggy-Ninja
I'm looking for a barometric pressure sensor to use as an altimeter in my project.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MPX2102ASXvirtualkey55700000virtualkey841-MPX2102ASX
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MPX2102APvirtualkey55700000virtualkey841-MPX2102AP
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=MPX2100Avirtualkey55700000virtualkey841-MPX2100A

Same price, same specs, the only difference is in the nozzle. One is female, one is male facing up, one is male facing to the side.

I'm going to be (hopefully) using these sensors on a kite, so there will be some wind. Which of these would be the best?

My naive guess is that the male port would be less affected by wind noise, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I took a look at the http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RD1979MPXM2102A&parentCode=null" using this series of sensors. From what I gather, the non ported sensors are used for altimeters and the ported sensors can have a tube attached for testing. This port can be used to do two point calibrations of the electrons the sensor is attached to.

from the app note said:
A non-ported MPAK is the ideal pressure sensor package for hand held GPS units or altimeter watches due to its small size. However, a ported MPAK package can also be selected, allowing a tube to be attached to the port for testing and demonstration purposes.

There are two forms of calibration for this system. The first calibration is used for the barometer part of the system. This calibration was already done before you received the reference design and only needs to be done once per system. To calibrate the barometer module, a two-point calibration is performed using a highly accurate pressure generator.

I'm assuming you're wanting to determine your kites altitude from the barometric pressure, so why have port? The non-ported sensors is what's used for measuring an absolute barometric pressure.

I'm not sure how sensitive the ones used to measure vacuum/pressure as found in automobiles but I doubt they are sensitive enough.

I do know that mitsubishi, honda, and some nissan ecus from the early 80s to the early 90s used "baro sensors" both on the board of the ecu and some mounted to the passenger a pillar (hondas around 1986 to 1989).

I'm not sure what you will be using to read them but I use this 8 channel data acquisition hub and custom applications that use "lookup tables" to net you the proper readings in pressure.

That's assuming you are interested in using industry standard 0-5v.

http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/io8.shtml

io8a.jpg

dlgoff said:
I took a look at the http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=RD1979MPXM2102A&parentCode=null" using this series of sensors. From what I gather, the non ported sensors are used for altimeters and the ported sensors can have a tube attached for testing. This port can be used to do two point calibrations of the electrons the sensor is attached to.

I'm assuming you're wanting to determine your kites altitude from the barometric pressure, so why have port? The non-ported sensors is what's used for measuring an absolute barometric pressure.
Thanks for that link. I've saved it and I'll be sure to review it.

The port was confusing me because I didn't know it was for a hose. I thought it might be for shielding or something, that's why I asked.

Though I'm having to rethink my sensor choice anyway, since the maximum voltage of those is only 40 mV.

Related to Barometric Pressure Sensor Port

1. What is a barometric pressure sensor port?

A barometric pressure sensor port is a small opening or connection point on a device or instrument that allows for the measurement and monitoring of atmospheric pressure. This port is typically equipped with a sensor that can detect changes in air pressure, which can be used to gather data and make predictions about weather patterns.

2. How does a barometric pressure sensor port work?

A barometric pressure sensor port works by using a small sensor, such as a diaphragm or electronic sensor, to detect changes in air pressure. When the air pressure changes, the sensor will convert this change into an electrical signal that can be interpreted and used to display or record the pressure reading.

3. What is the purpose of a barometric pressure sensor port?

The purpose of a barometric pressure sensor port is to measure and monitor changes in atmospheric pressure. This information can be used for a variety of purposes, such as predicting weather patterns, monitoring air pressure in a sealed container or vessel, or for research and data collection in various scientific fields.

4. How accurate is a barometric pressure sensor port?

The accuracy of a barometric pressure sensor port can vary depending on the type of sensor used and the calibration of the device. However, most modern sensors are highly accurate and can provide precise readings of atmospheric pressure. It is important to regularly calibrate the sensor to ensure accurate readings.

5. Where can a barometric pressure sensor port be found?

Barometric pressure sensor ports can be found in a wide range of devices and instruments, such as weather stations, altimeters, barometers, and even some smartphones. They may also be present in sealed containers or vessels to monitor air pressure. In some cases, the sensor port may be visible, while in others it may be internal and not easily accessible.