Barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments?

In summary, there is a barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments because of the expense of setup and stringent requirements.
ScrollPortals
I read phys.org and science daily, daily. I read about all these amazing experiments and discoveries and I want to try my own experiments. A lot of articles are about emerging computing technologies, and often the article emphasizes how inexpensive these materials and processes are becoming.
I am interested in seeing a price tag next to an article and maybe an itemized list of all expenses.
I'm not super rich, but I'm sure I make enough money to mess around with this stuff.

Why does it feel like there is a major barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments?

Physics news on Phys.org
ScrollPortals said:
I read phys.org and science daily, daily. I read about all these amazing experiments and discoveries and I want to try my own experiments. A lot of articles are about emerging computing technologies, and often the article emphasizes how inexpensive these materials and processes are becoming.
I am interested in seeing a price tag next to an article and maybe an itemized list of all expenses.
I'm not super rich, but I'm sure I make enough money to mess around with this stuff.

Why does it feel like there is a major barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments?

Your description is vague. Can you point one of these "articles" that you are referring to?

Experiments are expensive because of the nature of the setup and the stringent requirements. For example, something that is done in "vacuum" isn't done in just any level of vacuum. It may be in ultra-high vacuum (i.e. 10-9 Torr or lower), and the requirement to get to that level in a reasonable amount of time requires not only an investment in expensive pumps, but also an investment in vacuum vessels, fittings, vacuum "hygiene", etc.

Secondly, "inexpensive" is a relative term. If I'm designing a particle accelerator, maybe $1 million is "inexpensive" considering that it can easily reach well beyond that usually. But do you have $1 million lying around?

Finally, I don't quite understand what "emerging computing technologies" is, and how this is an "experiment".

In this forum, it is always preferable if you include proper citation to give everyone else a clearer idea of what you had in mind.

Zz.

What is a barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments?

A barrier to entry for hardware material science experiments is any factor that makes it difficult or expensive for new researchers or companies to enter the field and conduct experiments using physical materials.

What are some examples of barriers to entry for hardware material science experiments?

Examples of barriers to entry for hardware material science experiments include the high cost of specialized equipment and materials, the need for extensive training and knowledge in the field, and the complex processes involved in conducting experiments.

How do barriers to entry affect the advancement of material science?

Barriers to entry can significantly slow down the advancement of material science as they limit the number of researchers and companies that can contribute to the field. This can result in fewer breakthroughs and slower progress in developing new materials and technologies.

What can be done to overcome barriers to entry in hardware material science experiments?

To overcome barriers to entry in hardware material science experiments, governments and institutions can provide funding and resources to support new researchers and companies. Collaboration and knowledge-sharing among experienced researchers can also help lower the barrier for new entrants.

Are there any benefits to having barriers to entry in hardware material science experiments?

While barriers to entry can be a hindrance, they can also contribute to maintaining high standards and quality control in the field. Additionally, the competitive nature of material science research can drive innovation and encourage researchers to find more cost-effective and efficient ways to conduct experiments.