Baryons & addition of angular momentum

In summary: Thanks for that explanation. Is there any way to find the other three irreductible representations? Thanks for that explanation. Is there any way to find the other three irreductible representations?
yxgao
I was wondering if someone could help me explain this problem.
In a baryon, two quarks are in l=0 and one quark is in the l=1 state. Quarks are spin-1/2 particles. What values can the total angular momentum take?

I know the answer is 1/2, 3/2, and 5/2, but I'm confused about how they arrive at this answer.

Thx for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
yxgao said:
I was wondering if someone could help me explain this problem.
In a baryon, two quarks are in l=0 and one quark is in the l=1 state. Quarks are spin-1/2 particles. What values can the total angular momentum take?
I know the answer is 1/2, 3/2, and 5/2, but I'm confused about how they arrive at this answer.
Thx for any help!

Apply Clebsch-Gordan's theorem for the angular momentum states:
[tex] (l=0,s=\frac{1}{2}),(l=0,s=\frac{1}{2}),(l=1,s=\frac{1}{2}) [/tex]

Daniel.

That's what the solution said. I don't fully understand the theorem. Is there any way you can explain this better, in context of the problem?
Thanks a lot for help!

yxgao said:
That's what the solution said. I don't fully understand the theorem. Is there any way you can explain this better, in context of the problem?
Thanks a lot for help!

Well,it's simple.U have three particles.Each of the paricles has two possible quantum states for the angular momentum.One for the angular,one for the spin.So that means 6 uniparticle states in all.U're interested in composing these 6 values for the angular momentum.So u apply the CG theorem and write:
[tex] 0\otimes\frac{1}{2}\otimes 0\otimes\frac{1}{2}\otimes 1\otimes\frac{1}{2} [/tex]
Begin to apply the the theorem from the right.You could do it from the left,as well.
[tex] 0\otimes\frac{1}{2}\otimes 0\times\frac{1}{2}\otimes(\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2})=0\otimes\frac{1}{2}\otimes 0\otimes (0\oplus 1\oplus 1\oplus 2)=0\otimes\frac{1}{2}\otimes(0\oplus 1\oplus 1\oplus 2)[/tex]

[tex]=0\otimes(\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{5}{2})[/tex]

[tex]=\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{1}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{3}{2}\oplus\frac{5}{2} [/tex]

Daniel.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. How do you go from the last expression in the third to last line to the second to last line? Why do you only have 7 and not 8 terms in the parenthesis?
Thx

yxgao said:
Thanks for your detailed explanation. How do you go from the last expression in the third to last line to the second to last line? Why do you only have 7 and not 8 terms in the parenthesis?
Thx

I used the distributivity of the multiplication of representations towards the addition of the representations.The reason why in the last bracket there are 7 instead of 8 terms is that one of the 4 terms in the bracket is '0' and therefore the product of 1/2 with zero is still 1/2.The operator for the irreductible representation of ratio '0' is [itex] \hat{1} [/itex],and so,every operator of the irreductible representation "a" when getting multiplied with the unit operator remains th same.

Daniel.

1. What are baryons?

Baryons are a type of subatomic particle that are composed of three quarks. They are the most common type of particle in the universe and include protons and neutrons.

2. How is angular momentum added to baryons?

Angular momentum is added to baryons through the process of spin. Spin is a property of subatomic particles that describes their intrinsic angular momentum. When two baryons interact, their spins can combine to create a new total angular momentum for the system.

3. What is the importance of angular momentum in baryons?

Angular momentum is an important property of baryons because it determines how they interact with each other and other particles. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the structure and behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in baryon interactions?

Angular momentum is conserved in baryon interactions, meaning that the total angular momentum of the system before and after the interaction remains constant. This is a fundamental law of physics known as the conservation of angular momentum.

5. Can baryons have fractional values of angular momentum?

No, baryons cannot have fractional values of angular momentum. The spin of a baryon can only take on integer values (1, 2, 3, etc.) or half-integer values (1/2, 3/2, 5/2, etc.). This is due to the properties of quarks, which make up baryons and have a spin of 1/2.