Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution

• Thread starter Eclair_de_XII
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Output
In summary, Bash is a command language interpreter used in Linux and Unix systems. "cd" is a Bash command that changes the current working directory, allowing users to navigate the file system. The "ls" command in Bash lists the contents of a directory, and using the "-ls" option with "cd" displays the contents of the current directory. The "ls" command can be customized with options and wildcards to filter the output.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
I was fooling around in the command-line just now. I switched to my Documents folder. Then suddenly, the contents of aforementioned folder got displayed on the terminal. Specifically, all the directories got displayed, but oddly enough, not the one text file I had on there.
I have screenshots, but I'm not willing to share the contents of my Documents folder in a public forum. Is anyone willing to assist me? Additionally, I have "cd" aliased to "HOME=~/Desktop cd" in my ~/.bash_aliases file, if that helps. I might have also had two terminal emulator tabs open while this happened; one tab contained an "ls" alias, and the other had the "cd" command.

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
The command alias -p will list the current aliases.

• Informative
Likes FactChecker

What is "Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution"?

Bash is a command line interface used in many operating systems, including Linux and macOS. The "cd" command is used to change the current working directory, and in this case, it is producing an output similar to the "ls" command, which lists the contents of a directory.

Why is "Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution" useful?

This can be useful for quickly viewing the contents of a directory after changing into it, without having to use the "ls" command separately.

How do I enable "Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution"?

This functionality is enabled by default in most operating systems. However, if it is not working, you can check if the "autocd" option is set to "on" in your Bash settings.

Can I customize the output of "Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution"?

Yes, you can use the "ls" command with different options to customize the output. For example, you can use the "-a" option to show hidden files or the "-l" option to display a detailed list of the files.

Is there an alternative to using "Bash: cd producing "ls"-like output upon execution"?

Yes, you can use the "dirs" command, which also lists the contents of the current working directory. However, it will not display the same level of detail as the "ls" command.