Bash script for moving data from one directory to another

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data
In summary, the user is a new Linux user and is trying to modify a line in two different C files and access two different .dat files in a specific directory using bash scripting. They have attempted to use a for loop and the sed command, but are having difficulty understanding and editing the script. They are wondering if they should switch to Python, but are not familiar with it. The user is using a CFD software called OpenFOAM and is trying to modify boundary conditions using the velocity values in VEL.dat and VEL_t.dat files. They have provided a sample script they are using.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm a new Linux user (please be patient :) ). I would like to read data stored as a .dat file from a different directory so I can reference it; do you know how?

Specifically, I want to replace a line from different C files (controlDict and U), located here ./system/controlDict and here ./0/U (lines 33 and 26 respectively).

I also want to access two different .dat files from a directory here /home/josh/Documents/NASA/PSI_DATA/Double_Drain/ICF1-9 where the file names are VEL.dat and VEL_t.dat. VEL.dat is an ## n \times 1## column vector and VEL_t is a single scalar number.

Through a TON of effort, below is what I have.

Code:
#    LOOP THROUGH ALL OF VEL
for (( j = 0; j < ${#VEL[@]}; j++ ));  # THIS SHOULD LOOP THROUGH ALL OF VEL, THAT IS, ${#VEL[@]} IS THE LENGTH OF VEL, RIGHT?

do

#    SET LINE NUMBERS
    lineU             = 33
    lineContDict = 26

#    REPLACE lineU (line 33) in ./0/U WITH value uniform (0 $VEL(j) 0)
    sed -i "${lineU}s/.*/value uniform (0 ${VEL[j]} 0);/" ./0/U                      # THIS SHOULD REPLACE ALL OF LINE 33 WITH: value uniform (0 ${VEL[j]} 0); WHERE j IS THE jTH COMPONENT OF VEL

#    UPDATE endTime (line 26) IN ./system/controlDict WITH VEL_t
    sed -i "${lineContDict}s/.*/endTime j*$VEL_t;/" ./system/controlDict # THIS SHOULD REPLACE LINE 26 WITH: endtime j*VEL_t; WHICH IS j MULTIPLIED BY VEL_t

done

I've tried googling this solution, but I really have no clue what I'm looking for since I'm so new at bash scripting. Honestly, just getting here was a miracle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technology news on Phys.org
I used to use bash scripts to do these types of things, but they are so hard to edit and read that I no longer use them. I do all of these kinds of things in Python, which is much easier to read and understand. I recommend you drop the bash script approach and move to Python. I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do, but here is a simple Python program which would replace line 33 from one file with line 33 from a second file. Hopefully you can understand what the program is doing and make modifications. If not, come back and ask more questions.

Python:
filename1 = "/home/josh/Documents/NASA/PSI_DATA/Double_Drain/ICF1-9/VEL.dat"
filename2 = "./test.dat"

# Read filename1
file1 = open(filename1,'r')
lines1 = file1.readlines()
file1.close

# Read filename2
file2 = open(filename2,'r')
lines2 = file2.readlines()
file2.close

# Replace line 33 in filename2 with line 33 in filename1
lines2[33] = lines1[33]

# Write out the new filename2.  This will erase to old filename2
# and replace it with the new one.  If you don't want this, you could use
# a new name (filename3, for example)
newfile = open(filename2,'w')
for line in lines2:
        newfile.write(line)
newfile.close()

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
I want to replace a line from different C files (controlDict and U), located here ./system/controlDict and here ./0/U (lines 33 and 26 respectively).

I also want to access two different .dat files from a directory here /home/josh/Documents/NASA/PSI_DATA/Double_Drain/ICF1-9 where the file names are VEL.dat and VEL_t.dat. VEL.dat is an n×1 n \times 1 column vector and VEL_t is a single scalar number.

Why do you want to do these things? What is the higher level task you are trying to accomplish?

Likes rbelli1
phyzguy said:
I recommend you drop the bash script approach and move to Python.
I don't use python but am happy to learn it. From the tutorials I've seen for this particular software, everyone seems to use bash scripting, so I thought I would do the same.

PeterDonis said:
Why do you want to do these things? What is the higher level task you are trying to accomplish?
phyzguy said:
I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do

This should address both points: I am using a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) software called OpenFOAM. Rather than go into the directory each time and modify boundary conditions, I would like to have one script to do it for me. VEL.dat is a file that contains numbers, i.e. [1 -3 4 5], which are velocity values at a boundary. VEL_t.dat is a file that contains a single number i.e. 3. What I'm trying to do is change a line in the velocity boundary condition folder called U, located at ./0/U to its successive value every j*VEL_t time.

So following the example above, from 0 to 3 seconds the simulation imposes 1 mm/s velocity. Then 3 to 6 seconds the simulation imposes -3 mm/s velocity at that boundary. This process continues until all entries of VEL.dat are used.

So the actual script I run is this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

rm -r postProcessing
rm -r processor*
rm 0/alpha.water
rm constant/dynamicMeshDict
cp -r ../mesh/constant/polyMesh constant
setFields
decomposePar

#    LOOP THROUGH ALL OF VEL
for (( i = 0; j < ${#VEL[@]}; j++ ));

do

#    SET LINE NUMBERS
    lineU        = 33
    lineContDict = 26

#    REPLACE lineU (LINE 33) in 0/U WITH value uniform (0 $VEL(j) 0)
    sed -i "${lineU}s/.*/value uniform (0 ${VEL[j]} 0);/" ./0/U

#    UPDATE endTime (LINE 26) IN system/controlDict WITH VEL_T
    sed -i "${lineContDict}s/.*/endTime j*$VEL_t;/" ./system/controlDict

#    RUN SOLVER
    mpirun -np 16 interFoam -parallel # > log.interFoam & # COMMENT TO VIEW OUTPUT

done

Well, all of these things can be done in Python as well. I've used Python to control the running of astrophysics code, just like you are trying to do, where the Python program would modify the input deck, launch new runs, look at the output of the runs, make new modifications, launch new runs, etc. But it sounds like you don't want to go that way so I'll bow out.

phyzguy said:
Well, all of these things can be done in Python as well. I've used Python to control the running of astrophysics code, just like you are trying to do, where the Python program would modify the input deck, launch new runs, look at the output of the runs, make new modifications, launch new runs, etc. But it sounds like you don't want to go that way so I'll bow out.
Hmmm this is not a bad suggestion though! I'm talking to a few other people about it, but this might be better than using bash.

Did you elect python because it's simpler?

CASE CLOSED: verdict is I'm switching to python for scripting language, thanks to phyzguy! Might post something similar to this if I can't get this working, but I'll try solo first.

Likes phyzguy and Nick-stg
joshmccraney said:
Did you elect python because it's simpler?

Yes! It's much simpler and easier to understand. As you found out, it is very hard to understand what lines like the following line are supposed to do:

phyzguy said:
Yes! It's much simpler and easier to understand. As you found out, it is very hard to understand what lines like the following line are supposed to do:

Agreed. So now a simple question: python 2 or 3? Which do you recommend and why?

I switched to Python3 a year or so ago. It just took me a day or so. All new code seems to be written in Python3, so I would go that way. But either one will probably work for you.

Likes member 428835
Thanks a lot! Be safe out there (coronavirus in case anyone references this years from now)

joshmccraney said:
I am using a CFD (computational fluid dynamics) software called OpenFOAM.

This is C++ software, I believe. There are also CFD solver packages in Python, based on the NumPy and SciPy libraries. You might find those worth looking into.

joshmccraney said:
python 2 or 3?

Python 2 is at end of life. Any new Python code should use Python 3.

Likes member 428835 and phyzguy
PeterDonis said:
This is C++ software, I believe. There are also CFD solver packages in Python, based on the NumPy and SciPy libraries. You might find those worth looking into.
Python 2 is at end of life. Any new Python code should use Python 3.
Thanks for this!

Final question (I hope): what IDE or code compiler do you recommend? Looking for anything good that's free.

joshmccraney said:
what IDE or code compiler do you recommend?

Python is an interpreted language, there is no compiler. (Technically the interpreter does something called "compiling" your source code to Python bytecode, but that happens automatically, you don't have to do anything.)

I don't use an IDE so I don't have any recommendations for one.

joshmccraney said:
Final question (I hope): what IDE or code compiler do you recommend? Looking for anything good that's fr
As already explained, Python is interpreted language.
Regarding IDEs, if you like to experiment, you might want to check quite popular Python platform called anaconda:
https://www.anaconda.com/distribution/
It comes preloaded with many useful libraries and environments, and simplified package management.
Personally I really like jupyter notebooks for rapid script development and testing.

Likes Nick-stg
I don't use an IDE either. I just use a text editor to write the Python code (emacs in my case, but any text editor will work). Your Unix distribution should run Python out of the box.

I am also using jupyter a lot lately, a very convenient python environment that runs in your browser. There is also pyfoam, a python module to work with openfoam, but that's where my knowledge ends. I don't know how useful it is.

Likes lomidrevo
lomidrevo said:
Regarding IDEs, if you like to experiment, you might want to check quite popular Python platform called anaconda:

I'll second the anaconda recommendation. I use Anaconda's Spyder IDE on my Windows box and I like it a lot. It is where I do most of my more creative work. On my Linux box I tend to keep things more minimalist so like @phyzguy I only use the text editor gedit.

Likes lomidrevo
I use Spyder too, when I work on bigger projects and when maintaining the jupyter cells (keep them consistent) is getting harder. Spyder is also very helpful for debugging!

joshmccraney said:
Agreed. So now a simple question: python 2 or 3? Which do you recommend and why?

Python 3.x only. Version 2.x is unsupported and no longer maintained.

Likes Nick-stg

1. How do I move data from one directory to another using a Bash script?

To move data from one directory to another using a Bash script, you can use the mv command followed by the source directory and the destination directory. For example: mv /path/to/source/directory /path/to/destination/directory.

2. Can I move multiple files at once with a Bash script?

Yes, you can move multiple files at once using a Bash script by specifying the list of files you want to move after the source directory. For example: mv /path/to/source/directory/file1.txt /path/to/destination/directory/file2.txt /path/to/destination/directory.

3. How can I keep the original file names when moving data with a Bash script?

To keep the original file names when moving data with a Bash script, you can use the -p flag, which preserves the file attributes including the name, time stamp, and permissions. For example: mv -p /path/to/source/directory/file.txt /path/to/destination/directory.

4. Is it possible to move data between directories on different drives with a Bash script?

Yes, it is possible to move data between directories on different drives with a Bash script. You will need to specify the full path to the source and destination directories. For example: mv /path/to/source/directory/file.txt /path/to/destination/drive/directory.

5. Can I use variables in a Bash script to specify the directories when moving data?

Yes, you can use variables in a Bash script to specify the directories when moving data. This can be useful when you want to move data from different directories without having to change the script each time. For example: mv $source_directory/file.txt $destination_directory.