Basic harmonic oscilator problem (but I'm having troble solving it)

In summary, the maximum static force between the blocks is 3.92N, the maximum acceleration of the system is 0.356m/s^2, and the maximum amplitude the system can have is 21.6 cm.
U.Renko

Homework Statement

I have small block of mass m=1kg on top of a bigger block mass M=10kg
The friction coefficient between the blocks μ=0.40
No fricton between the big block and the ground.
There is a spring with k=200N/m attached to the bigger block.

The problem asks what is the maximum amplitude A the system can have in an harmonic oscillation without relative motion between the blocks.

Homework Equations

[itex]x=A\cos(ωt+\phi)[/itex]
[itex]v=-ωA\sin(ωt+\phi)[/itex]
[itex]a=-ω^2A\cos(ωt+\phi)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

well, first I noticed that the maximum static force possible between the two blocks will be:
mgμ which gives: [itex](1kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.40) = 3.92N[/itex]
so far no problems I guess.

using F=ma, I calculate the acceleration of the system in the case of maximum friction:
[itex]a= F/m = (3.92N)/(11kg)[/itex] which gives [itex]a = 0.356m/s^2[/itex]

using [itex]ω^2=k/m=(200N/m)/(11kg)[/itex] which gives [itex]ω^2= 18.18rad/s^2[/itex]

Now here is where I got stuck
I plug this to [itex]a=-ω^2Acos(ωt+\phi)[/itex] and try solving for A

the thing is:
I don't know the time
I don't know if there is a phase angle involved or not. or how to find out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When is the acceleration a maximum?

Period of a spring is given by [itex] T = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}} [/itex]
Since the problem wants you to solve for the two blocks moving synchronously the phase angle is zero, otherwise they would reach the same points in oscillation at different times (ie one reaches its maximum amplitude as the other is already moving back).

well, according to the textbooks the maximum positive acceleration occurs when the body is in its maximum negative position...

then it explains that "combining" the equations for position and acceleration will give [itex]a(t)=-ω^2x(t)[/itex]
which I honestly did not understand why. (I seem to have a problem understanding "combinations" of equations. I'm never sure if they mean adding, dividing or whatever)

Anyway, using this info and the fact explained above by JHamm I find

[itex] x= a/-ω^2 = (0.356 m/s^2)/(18.18 rad/s^2) = (0.0196 m)[/itex]

which is 1.96cm and the answer in the book is 21.6cm ...

so I'm still missing something...

You were told that [itex]v=-A sin(\omega t+\phi)[/itex]. All you need to know to find the maximum value for that is the maximum and minimum possible values for sine. What are they?

The maximum acceleration of the system is [itex] a = \frac{\kappa x}{M+m} [/itex] and the maximum acceleration of the small block is [itex] a = \frac{mg\mu}{m} = g\mu [/itex]. You want these two to equal each other.

That's right!

equaling the acceleration of the system with the acceleration of the small block gives
x = 0.2156 m which rounding up gives 21.6 cm

I guess I was fixed in the harmonic oscillator part and didn't quite notice I could do something like this.

Thanks a lot.

Related to Basic harmonic oscilator problem (but I'm having troble solving it)

1. What is a basic harmonic oscillator problem?

A basic harmonic oscillator problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of a particle or object that is oscillating back and forth around an equilibrium point. The motion of the object is described by the laws of simple harmonic motion, which include a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How do I solve a basic harmonic oscillator problem?

To solve a basic harmonic oscillator problem, you will need to use the equation of motion for simple harmonic motion, which is x(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle. You will also need to use the equation for the restoring force, F = -kx, where k is the spring constant. By setting these two equations equal to each other, you can solve for the amplitude, angular frequency, and phase angle of the motion.

3. What are the key concepts to understand in a basic harmonic oscillator problem?

The key concepts to understand in a basic harmonic oscillator problem are simple harmonic motion, equilibrium point, restoring force, amplitude, angular frequency, and phase angle. It is also important to understand the relationship between the restoring force and the displacement from the equilibrium point, as well as how changes in the spring constant or mass of the object can affect the motion.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a basic harmonic oscillator problem?

Some common mistakes when solving a basic harmonic oscillator problem include not understanding the concepts of simple harmonic motion, not setting the equations of motion and restoring force equal to each other, and not properly manipulating the equations to solve for the unknown variables. It is also important to pay attention to units and to use the correct values for the spring constant and mass of the object.

5. What are some real-world applications of basic harmonic oscillator problems?

Basic harmonic oscillator problems have many real-world applications, such as in the analysis of pendulum motion, the behavior of springs in machines and structures, and the motion of molecules in chemical reactions. They are also used in the study of sound waves and electromagnetic waves, as well as in the design of musical instruments and other oscillating systems.